Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

GvidoR wrote: »
    Looking forward to ice hockey today. ;)

Czech Republic - Sweden on. What a game to start off !!!

tunguska wrote: »
    Mad sport but brilliant to watch. Some hilarious homoerotic gaffs being made by the BBC commentary team......

Did you see this hilarious Canadian advert :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Is the Ice Hockey on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Yep amazing run this morning. Never ceases to amaze me what great athletes they are, seriously brave too. I thought Mancuso had it in the bag but a dodgy second half let it slip away from her.

Just at the official village celebration for Domonique lots of noise and large beers, first round on the bar tonight :)

• Advertisement

Ladies and gentlemen I give you your Olympic freestyle judges ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Fattes wrote: »
    Just at the official village celebration for Domonique lots of noise and large beers, first round on the bar tonight :)

Delighted for Gisin, I dont know her personally but always strikes me as a really nice person.
    Seriously tempted to head over to Sochi for next week. Whats the situation with tickets/accommodation?

Delighted for Gisin, I dont know her personally but always strikes me as a really nice person.
    Seriously tempted to head over to Sochi for next week. Whats the situation with tickets/accommodation?

Probably start on Orwell road getting a visa!!!

After her huge smash in Vancouver it's seems like a just reward

iroced wrote: »
    Czech Republic - Sweden on. What a game to start off !!!

And what a game it was ! Already high intensity. Though the Czech didn't really start their game 'till the second half of the second period. The Swedes took advantage of their powerplays and went ahead 2-0 in the first period and quickly 4-0 in the second. Then the Czech reacted and came back into the game with 2 goals. The end of the second and the whole third periods were thrilling. Several opportunities for the Czech to reduce the gap and some to extend their lead for the Swedes.
    Is the Ice Hockey on tv?

I'm in France so can't really help for that matters. Isn't there some online live footage on the BBC or RTE where you can choose what you want to see. That's what the French TV is doing for a couple of Olympics now and it's brilliant.

excellent webpage on Ted Ligity and slalom technique

well worth a view

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/sochi-olympics/giant-slalom.html

• Advertisement

hawkwind23 wrote: »

well worth a view

It's interesting as there is nothing new in what he does he has just perfected what everyone aims to achieve, getting on to the new edge as early as possible and exerting as much force as possible on the outside ski while creating big angles.

Bode pioneered big angles especially in DH and super G.

That said doing sow thing perfectly is near impossible and Ligity makes it look easy!

Winning snowboard run from tonight!! Great photo

who is RTE buying their highlights from - the commentators are terrible (so boring) and the interview questions worse again. Maybe it's Russians with a sort of American accent?

hawkwind23 wrote: »

well worth a view

great production.

glasso wrote: »
    great production.

A lot of it is Ted's own training footage!! His YouTube stuff is great

Results from the first slope style run this morning the boy woodsy is killing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

Does that put him straight into the finals Fattes?

jvan wrote: »
    Does that put him straight into the finals Fattes?

Should see him safe, pulled up with the hip on the 2nd run but sitting above bobby brown, Gus Kenworthy, Henrik Haurlet. Anyone above 82 should be safe now!

Judges are being harsh but right it's about good clean tricks & punishing big and sloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

Do you know what time the final is on at?
    Hope his hip doesn't give him too much grief.

jvan wrote: »
    Do you know what time the final is on at?
    Hope his hip doesn't give him too much grief.

9:30 Gmt I think he will go 3rd last as it in reverse order

Biting my nails!! Have skied with and known him since he was 15!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭afatbollix

glasso wrote: »
    who is RTE buying their highlights from - the commentators are terrible (so boring) and the interview questions worse again. Maybe it's Russians with a sort of American accent?

That would be a program made by the OBS or the olympics themselves.

• Advertisement

well done!
    got to be proud of that after the injury

and what a great interview even with G Bellend :)

He has travelled a long way and with a hip injury did us proud today!! Hope he finally lets the hair down tonight with Pat who has groomed and supported him from the start
    Watched it on the hill in a cafe screaming at the TV!!

He has come a long way since this Woodsy Lincon in Dublin

Great to see Gus Kenworthy on the podium he has saved some stray Sochi puppies!! Shows what a nice guy he is

Now off to Huck some cliffs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well that was a bit unexpected in the speed skating. Hopefully no DQ's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

robinph wrote: »
    Well that was a bit unexpected in the speed skating. Hopefully no DQ's.

Boo.

Was right though by the looks of the replay, not sure why the one that was in second went and fell over though.

Boo.

Was right though by the looks of the replay, not sure why the one that was in second went and fell over though.

She was not very gracious in her interview!! Hoping it was just emotion but she came across quite poorly

Fattes wrote: »
    She was not very gracious in her interview!! Hoping it was just emotion but she came across quite poorly

Missed that as I went to fetch some lunch. Stay upright is the main requirement when it comes to a 4 way final, let the other trip themselves up and do a Bradbury.

Luge relay looks great. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Luge relay looks great. :D

Balls, I had to head out, gonna miss that.

Advertisement