Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Great game, really enjoyed it until towards the end. I got extremely fatigued from the whole game play and the ending isn't the strongest.

I would of been happier with an earlier finish to be honest.

The horror elements and build up were brilliant.

And the music...my god my heart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I did record a video of the dlc (I really like it)

but the audio is dreadful with the sound of my keyboard clicking away due to it being a webcam mic.

But my soundcard is here, I just got to collect it tomorrow morning so will do a video of the dlc then.

Its fecking hard dlc I'll say that much, didnt get very far in a 40 minute recording, dying 3 times.

video on the newest dlc

I am really loving it. Sorry its so long its just thats the dlc. It's massive.

Also I'll have 2nd video tomorrow of later sections and I cannot stress how much more work has gone into this dlc, dynamic events and scripted changes to the levels really keep it fresh.

• Advertisement

Quick question for anyone that has played the three most recent add ons; which would you say is the best

Corporate Lockdown
    Trauma
    Safe Haven

Also, I have not yet completed the main game so would it be ok to start playing any of these add ons now or should I wait until finished and then start playing.

in order from best to worse

Safe Haven: It's hard, you'll easily get your money's worth out of it, I still not gotten pass level 6, it also throws a lot of variety in missions and challenges and due to its rather substantial length it does feel like a mini campaign in itself.

Corporate Lockdown: The levels have all got nice little touches to them with dynamic events that make them unique, They also string together logically into a small story. It's a pretty solid piece of DLC, it just does not have the legs that safe haven has, you'll clear the 3 levels easily within an hour unless you are like me and trying to complete all the missions.

Trauma: There are some pretty levels here, but it's the weakest by far due to one level just being plain boring, the other two have little things I like, either a bit of the level that looks gorgeous or an interesting little segment which feels different. But that bad last level and lack of dynamic events in the campaign easily make it the weakest. It is also overall easier then the other 2 campaigns and can be completed even quicker then corporate lockdown

As for playing them before finishing the campaign, I'd advise against it, depending how far into the campaign you are all 3 contain spoilers to the main plot. They are also all designed to be played after completing the main game so are balls hard (especially safe haven).

Thanks, purchased safe haven and will play through it as soon as I complete the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is part of the 'Deal of the Week' on PSN this week. 70 euro down to 25.50 for PS4.

Finally time to take the plunge.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/02/04/new-playstation-store-deals-call-duty-alien-isolation-dlc-discounts/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I'll be buying it at that price.

I reckon I'll need the money saved for fresh jocks and and a heart transplant though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Love the little homage to the zx spectrum Alien game in the rewire bits.

I was 10 all over again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

season pass is half price on PSN, gotta be worth it.

New dlc hit 2 days ago. They keep sneaking out

in the same style as the last one which already makes it damn valuable. Played it for about an hour, felt easier then the last got further in my first few tries then I did the last dlc and it repeats a lot of the same missions, but it looks to diverge around mission 6 so it could get very interesting.

got a video recorded which will be here:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I want the dlc but don't know if I need the stress after playing the campaign recently.

last dlc (at least for the season pass) hit 2 days ago

only glanced at it, will do a full impression over the weekend, but already a disappointment as it goes back to the style of the earlier dlc

saying that it does not make the same mistakes as the previous because it's mostly 3 all new locations that are interesting over the remixing of crew quarters and medical areas.

could this be my last first impressions video?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Cleared this game over the weekend and have to admit some parts scared the scheit out of me!

Great game, haven't played a game like it in a while. Only cleared The Evil Within recently and it hasn't got a patch on it.

What do you reckon happens at the ending
    Ripley is picked up by some sort of space shop & rescued, also did any of the aliens survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cleared this game over the weekend and have to admit some parts scared the scheit out of me!

Great game, haven't played a game like it in a while. Only cleared The Evil Within recently and it hasn't got a patch on it.

What do you reckon happens at the ending
    Ripley is picked up by some sort of space shop & rescued, also did any of the aliens survive?

Guess you'll have to buy Alien Isolation 2 to find out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Picked this up yesterday on PSN for €20. JUst encountered the alien for the first time but kinda bored. Have to give it more time but it had a slow start.

I'm never one to care about the lack of graphical features but I can't get over how my character can't cast a shadow. The lighting in it is great, seeing shadows jump around but if I stand in front of a light, there is nothing. How could this be left out? Bit bizarre, I take it you can cast a shadow on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

And I'm after buying the season pass. Now I just need to get my copy of the game back from a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Picked this up yesterday on PSN for €20. JUst encountered the alien for the first time but kinda bored. Have to give it more time but it had a slow start.

I'm never one to care about the lack of graphical features but I can't get over how my character can't cast a shadow. The lighting in it is great, seeing shadows jump around but if I stand in front of a light, there is nothing. How could this be left out? Bit bizarre, I take it you can cast a shadow on PC?
    Not sure if any character shadows shown but here it is maxxed:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

After finishing some games recently (Resident Evil and Wolfenstein) I've decided to check out some of the dlc as I don't want to start a new game just as the Witcher comes out.

Just passed the first level of the first dlc. My god do you need to get used to this game again. I was seriously struggling. I'll see if I can complete the first dlc pack anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Not sure if any character shadows shown but here it is maxxed:

I was thinking about getting this on the PC as I never finished in on the PS4 before I got rid if it. Then I watched that video and jumping a f*****g mile.

So that's a nope then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

When do you get the bolt gun? I still haven't got it but I'm finding ammo for it. Did I miss it or something?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    When do you get the bolt gun? I still haven't got it but I'm finding ammo for it. Did I miss it or something?

where are you?

you pick it up in engineering
    specifically when you are trying to get into the core and you go through some workshops, one of them has the bolt gun on the table with a memo ordering engineers to stop making homemade guns

recently upgraded my pc so tempted to replay the game with even more improved graphics...

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    where are you?

you pick it up in engineering
    specifically when you are trying to get into the core and you go through some workshops, one of them has the bolt gun on the table with a memo ordering engineers to stop making homemade guns

recently upgraded my pc so tempted to replay the game with even more improved graphics...

I think I've gone past that Already I must have missed it. I'm at the part now where I have to take the elevator to apolo or something

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I think I've gone past that Already I must have missed it. I'm at the part now where I have to take the elevator to apolo or something

Ahh no no no you are sti good. The core is after apollo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Ahh no no no you are sti good. The core is after apollo

Alrite cheers . Strange I'm picking up ammo for it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how is the story based dlc for this?

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    how is the story based dlc for this?

minimal in structured narrative.

all the survivor mission dlc follow a character that either appeared or was mentioned in the main campaign, but they dont really add any new light on the character or their part in the game. Unless you outright missed certain plot points in the campaign
    That it was the Marshals that caused the explosion in the beginning of the game
    or its stuff that has little effect on the story
    that it was the corporate guy ramson that cut off your message int othe station

2 of the dlc do very thinly connect to each other (corporate lockdown, Trauma)

I've done videos in this thread on the dlc I'd really only outright recommend 2 of them as they are by far the most interesting in terms of gameplay

Safe Haven and Lost contact

the other dlc is challenging but shallow on content

Safe Haven and lost contact for your own survival story are worth picking up, very challenging for anyone who has completed the main game.

Advertisement