Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The boss battles you never beat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

The remake of Half-Life for the ps2, the co-op mode last fight with all the aliens beaming down and I think you had to shoot something in the air, my friend and I spent hours on it but could never beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Ares in God Of War on God difficulty.

To this day,I always get destroyed on the bit where you have to protect your family and kill your past selves.There's a certain combo involved in order to complete it but I never managed to execute it.

Dark Aeons too in FFX.Defeated Ixion,Ifrit and Valefor...can't manage the rest.

Not really a boss but "One" by Metallica in GH3 I could never beat on expert.Always lost it at the solo part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭nerd69

Not really a boss but the nz-Japan scenario in Jonah Lomu rugby on the ps1. Having been at it for months I came within seconds of completing it and failed I gave up after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

got stumped by the 4 kings in Dark Souls. Haven't gone back to the game since but will get back to it as I was loving it beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Ratchet and clank 1 final boss

Prototype final boss : was mostly due to if i recall correctly with its stupid timer

That boss would have been easy if you had a specific ability but I leveled the area of effect ones that were not good against him. The autosave screwed me as I couldnt go back and get it and that timer made go f*ck this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Daith

I think the final boss in ActRaiser on the SNES. Actually it's a battle rush so probably died before the final boss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

djkeogh wrote: »
    got stumped by the 4 kings in Dark Souls. Haven't gone back to the game since but will get back to it as I was loving it beforehand.

The best way to beat them is get right in their face and swing away, the closer you are to them the less damage most of their attacks do. If you have the spells Power Within or Iron Flesh use those and the heaviest armour you have so tank yourself up and batter away with the strongest weapon you can. Taking them out quickly so you don't get another one spawning is the key, oh and if you kill one keep hitting it as it's dying as the damage you inflict comes off the total healthbar so you might only need to fight three of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yup, tank up with Havel's Ring and Havels Armour and get in their face healing when necessary. You'll have ridiculous poise so won't get knocked back and you should be able to take them out before the next one spawns.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yup, tank up with Havel's Ring and Havels Armour and get in their face healing when necessary. You'll have ridiculous poise so won't get knocked back and you should be able to take them out before the next one spawns.

I'm doing a Dex build at the minute and just fought them the other night wearing sod all armour, roll roll stab stab, great craic. Same with Artorias (prob the best boss fight in the game) dodge like a mofo and get in hits where you can.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

eddhorse wrote: »
    You beat him with a knife, damn it all to hell !
    I remember stocking up on magnum ammo (that stuff was a pain in the arse to get though), bringing that desert eagle gun called the thunderhawk or whatever, and when it came down to the end just laying into him with that. That, combined with one maxed out sniper and shotgun did it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The guy on the train in gears of war one.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Couldn't beat Ultimecia in FFVIII's final battle so never saw how the story ended :'-[

Try as I did, Lei-Gong, the end boss of Wu-Tang Taste The Pain on Playstation, was f*in unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Maye83 wrote: »
    Couldn't beat Ultimecia in FFVIII's final battle so never saw how the story ended :'-[

Try as I did, Lei-Gong, the end boss of Wu-Tang Taste The Pain on Playstation, was f*in unbeatable.

youtube it.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

youtube it.

That's cheating, I failed, I don't deserve to see it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Most recently Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat (the new one). Side note: I really hate when they release a game with the exact same name as a previous one.

That is one of the recent ones for me too. To make it Worse I played it on Dreadful for Fighting games 360 controller. I actually threw my controller at wall and broke something in it. after that flight it kept rattling... :pac:

The reason I gave up on that boss, because it was just pure unfair, cheating battle. The only way you can win is by spamming perfectly few moves and eventually wear him down. Not really much skill, just a your stamina run. Add ****y 360 D-pad and this Boss is just an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Omega weapon FFVIII, christ that brings back memories, horrific, late, summer night memories.

Thought I'd give it go with 2 characters in the mid 70's and one low 70's, didnt last pi**ing time.

Took me about a week of leveling up and on the 3rd battle beat it.

Bought FFVIII from PSN and have about 3/4 hours put in but I'd love to go back and give it go again, think I had about 150hours put into the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Why am I thinking "Pillar of Light"? Was that one of Omega's attacks?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Omega weapon FFVIII, christ that brings back memories, horrific, late, summer night memories.

Thought I'd give it go with 2 characters in the mid 70's and one low 70's, didnt last pi**ing time.

Took me about a week of leveling up and on the 3rd battle beat it.

Bought FFVIII from PSN and have about 3/4 hours put in but I'd love to go back and give it go again, think I had about 150hours put into the original.

you could use the card game and easily end up with 100 immortalities and aura's and constantly limitbreak it to death

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

derfderf wrote: »
    The last boss in the original ninja gaiden on the NES. I'd be fighting him for hours and he wouldnt die.
    Ninja Gaiden had some bastards as bosses
    Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 and Lost Planet all had points that made me give up on them and that was on normal difficulties :mad:

Ninja Gaiden on the xbox nearly cost me 2nd year exams, the bosses were so time consuming, I eventually just stopped, they all blended into one. Not sure if one stumped me or my soul was destroyed.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ninja Gaiden on the xbox nearly cost me 2nd year exams, the bosses were so time consuming, I eventually just stopped, they all blended into one. Not sure if one stumped me or my soul was destroyed.

I got to the bone dragon, then unlike most games where you fight the boss and the game moves to another area, you have to get back out of where you just trekked down to him, and there's loads of tougher enemies, fuuuuck that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

Wonder Boy in Monster Land on the Sega Master System.

I must have wasted 3 years of my life on that final level. There was a maze before the final boss.

I never made it through the maze, I watch the YouTube video often, I can remember every damn part of it 22 years on. I was so close to the end of the maze. In the days before YouTube this thing haunted me. Now I've watched the final level I can relax and let it go, I was damn close to that dragon.

Took the Master System down a few months back, the gun doesn't work on LCD TV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Blong!hahaha

ZX Spectrum+ 48k: Ghostbusters. Couldn't ever get past the marshmallow man at the end. I finally beat the game though as an adult with an emulator! :) Maybe savestates had something to do with it...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Maye83 wrote: »
    Couldn't beat Ultimecia in FFVIII's final battle so never saw how the story ended :'-[.

I never got past (I think her name is) Adel, whichever one is the first boss fight on disc 4. I was vastly under-leveled and once you get onto disc 4 there's nowhere to grind. So I started the whole game again. I got as far as the very end of disc 3 with nothing left to do but complete my card collection when I just abandoned it.

I tried picking it up again a few weeks ago but found it tricky to get into the junctioning system. I wouldn't mind so much but at the time I found it very intuitive and I still have pages and pages of stuff written out about my characters and which spells went to which slots and which GFs everyone got to max out their stats, etc. But perhaps the fact that I have those indicates that it was too complicated?

Anyway, I'm determined that I WILL beat FFVIII this year. After all, I finished FFVII last year for the first time ever. It only took me 14 years! :eek:

Vojera wrote: »
    I never got past (I think her name is) Adel, whichever one is the first boss fight on disc 4. I was vastly under-leveled and once you get onto disc 4 there's nowhere to grind. So I started the whole game again. I got as far as the very end of disc 3 with nothing left to do but complete my card collection when I just abandoned it.

I tried picking it up again a few weeks ago but found it tricky to get into the junctioning system. I wouldn't mind so much but at the time I found it very intuitive and I still have pages and pages of stuff written out about my characters and which spells went to which slots and which GFs everyone got to max out their stats, etc. But perhaps the fact that I have those indicates that it was too complicated?

Anyway, I'm determined that I WILL beat FFVIII this year. After all, I finished FFVII last year for the first time ever. It only took me 14 years! :eek:
    Is that the one where rinoa is juntioned?? If so cast maelstrom(could be meltdown) whichever makes attacks more damaging, then Kamikaze after a while, should make it pretty simple

• Registered Users Posts: 81,885 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That cantankerous old sniper in MGS3

Then I replayed it a few weeks later and he died of old age? I felt a little cheated. I mean, I lost, but I was sooo close that I had to put the controller down for a minute, not wait him out to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

kesler in infamous 1 was a nightmare on first play. Went back recently and he was piss easy, the energy shield completely negates his energy blast

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

GavRedKing wrote: »

That's your problem though,FFVIII was one of the few rpgs that discourages you from levelling up as the enemies are as strong as you are.So if you attempted to fight Omega with all your characters under lv30 fully junctioned,you would of had an easier time fighting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

i hated that in ff8.
    Getting taken out by some bloody grasses late in the game was bloody annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The boss from the Castlevania DLC. The Forgotten One, I think. He was a pain. I think I got about 3 checkpoints in but I just couldn't bring myself to persevere. Fantastic game otherwise though.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    That cantankerous old sniper in MGS3

Then I replayed it a few weeks later and he died of old age? I felt a little cheated. I mean, I lost, but I was sooo close that I had to put the controller down for a minute, not wait him out to death.

You could cheat it by setting the ps2 clock forward a few days as well, you'd find him dead in a clearing.

Advertisement