Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The boss battles you never beat.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

That Spiderman battle in the vid looks 1000x easier if they hadn't a camera system that didn't fly all over the place.
    So yeah RAAM is one I could never do in single player, the final boss in Uncharted 2 is another awkward encounter that bested me & at the minute I can't beat Joker in Arkham Blackgate. Its a fight where you run round in a circle trying to catch him with a line launcher(he does a damaging counter if you muck up), dodging gunshots & you are against the clock with poison gas filling the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Re: Dark Souls, I just gave up on it, as I needed help for nearly every boss battle. I would just run around avoiding the boss and healing myself and the other player, letting them deal with the boss upclose while I took shots from the distance, made it to Blight Town, I think, and I gave up.
    RAAM in Gears of War. Just couldnt beat him. I think you needed the bow and arrow weapon to beat him but didn't have it going into the battle.

The Bow, Boomshot and Sniper rifle are all pickups along with loads of ammo and grenades in the carriage before triggering the RAAM battle.

I remember it being a total nightmare, Lancer, grenades and the sniper rifle are the best I think.

I went back and played the game on Insane a few years back, before GOW2 came out, got to end, must have played 50 goes fighting RAAM on insane over a few days. Got help from a co-op buddy, we lasted even less then, I was about to give up, blind fire with the sniper rifle headshot (after dealing him the usual loads of damage) and down he went, it seemed so random.

I never bet the Queen at the end of GOW3 on Insane Arcade mode, the Theron kept killing me, I just gave up. There seemed to be no end to them, and you couldn't shot the boss, because even with 4 people, the Theron were a huge threat/distraction.
    Fakman87 wrote: »
    Namir in Deus Ex Human Revolution was a nightmare, as depending on choices you make earlier in the game you may have to fight him without any of your special powers.

Second Playthough, brought Tong's grenade launcher, made short work of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I had to watch the rest of the game on youtube which was a real shame for me.

I cheated and felt absolutely no remorse about it. Those boss battles don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

RAAM was a right bollix, I've beaten him on hardcore. Think I'll have a bash at insane difficulty tonight.

Fontaine in Bioshock was quite a pain until I got the hang of it. Those bloody charges he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

Last boss in MediEvil 2 - I got my ass kicked too many times and just gave up,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The Bow, Boomshot and Sniper rifle are all pickups along with loads of ammo and grenades in the carriage before triggering the RAAM battle.

I remember it being a total nightmare, Lancer, grenades and the sniper rifle are the best I think.

I went back and played the game on Insane a few years back, before GOW2 came out, got to end, must have played 50 goes fighting RAAM on insane over a few days. Got help from a co-op buddy, we lasted even less then, I was about to give up, blind fire with the sniper rifle headshot (after dealing him the usual loads of damage) and down he went, it seemed so random.
    I was never able to beat RAAM on Insane solo. A lot better co-op.
    I never bet the Queen at the end of GOW3 on Insane Arcade mode, the Theron kept killing me, I just gave up. There seemed to be no end to them, and you couldn't shot the boss, because even with 4 people, the Theron were a huge threat/distraction.
    The number of Theron goes up a lot when playing 4 player. I've done it a lot, but we would have super reload on. As well as number of players having an effect, it seems there is a bit of a random thing at play with theron. I've played 4 player with fewer than normal showing up and had other times it's just nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I actually can't think of any bosses I wasn't able to beat. Probably just due to forgetting and generally when I do play a game I'll finish it. But there have definitely been some tough ones.

CiDeRmAn has reminded me of the last boss in Metroid Prime.. Man he was a pain.

If I was to pick one more that I can think of easily.. it's the Maneater from Demon Soul's, now that took an awful lot of patience as you would die... several times trying to beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Pushtrak wrote: »
    The number of Theron goes up a lot when playing 4 player. I've done it a lot, but we would have super reload on. As well as number of players having an effect, it seems there is a bit of a random thing at play with theron. I've played 4 player with fewer than normal showing up and had other times it's just nuts.

ya, we were using super reload and unlimited ammo, and we tried without those too, and each time the level of Theron was overwhelming.

Even trying it solo on Insane arcade, and hiding by the elevator didn't work, and it was no bother playing it in the story on insane solo and in a group, just not in arcade mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with bosses these days is that with Konami, Sega and Capcom going to the dogs there's really nobody left that knows how to do good boss battles outside of Nintendo, Platinum, From Software and a few smaller japanese developers like Falcom. Then you get crazy design decisions like having bosses in something like Uncharted 2 or Deus Ex when one isn't needed or suits the game.

I've never given up on a boss but the final boss of Ninja Gaiden on the NES is a nightmare thanks to a bug that puts you back 4 levels if you lose a single life on him.

The knife throwing guy in Time Crisis gave be trouble but only in the arcade. Beating him was really the big hurdle to one crediting that game.

The fly boss at the end of Ghouls n'Ghosts fifth stage can be tricky as well. I could one credit that game back in the day but that boss would trip you up sometimes because unlike the rest of the game if you were unlucky he could end up in a dick move attack pattern.

Revenge of Shinobi's final boss was really tough as well. Took me over 20 years but I finally had my revenge on him a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

That is a shame because it really is an exceptional game.
    They really ruined the overall experience of Deus Ex HR, odd consider they hit all the rights notes for nearly every other part of the game.
    Don't get me wrong, I still loved it and only recently completed it again with the Directors Cut version.

The bosses in Dark Souls can be odd, some are surprisingly easy (in the context of the rest of the game) or can be beaten with some cheap trick/glitch handy enough, whether you were meant to do it that way is debatable :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Hercule wrote: »
    Last boss in Medieval 2 - I got my ass kicked too many times and just gave up,

Fair play on getting that far. That entire game bested me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Outland I think was mentioned already , I never beat the sisters in that either.

That is definitely a case of a game where if you don't persist at it and get it then it's infinitely harder to come back to and be successful down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

eddhorse wrote: »
    I played Resident Evil 5 co op with my brother, we just didn't have enough ammo to beat the final boss.

Same thing happened to myself and a mate. I just told him to distract him and i ran back and forth in behind him getting cheap knife shots in. It suddenly became very easy, made a mockery of the whole thing and caused us to laugh uncontrollably. That game sure did go downhill fast.

I never could beat the last boss in Viewtiful Joe. I just couldn't figure out the technique of how to do it but that was the case for a lot of those bosses.

Dark Aeon Anima in FFX, I beat the rest of them (sisters were a serious pain in the arse) but didn't have enough ribbons to stop him from just petrifying everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You beat him with a knife, damn it all to hell !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That ****ing train in Mischeif makers.

Retrogamer knows my pain on this one, ****er laughed when i told him previously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem with bosses these days is that with Konami, Sega and Capcom going to the dogs there's really nobody left that knows how to do good boss battles outside of Nintendo, Platinum, From Software and a few smaller japanese developers like Falcom. Then you get crazy design decisions like having bosses in something like Uncharted 2 or Deus Ex when one isn't needed or suits the game.

Agree on Uncharted 2, it could have had a big action sequence or level instead of a 1v1 superpowered boss fight when the rest of the game doesn't have those kind of enemies.

Just earlier I beat Artorias in Dark Souls, now THAT'S a fcuking boss fight. Any bit of cockiness or impatience and you'll get demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In Street Fighter II, no matter how hard I tried I could never defeat Sheng Long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Re: Dark Souls, I just gave up on it, as I needed help for nearly every boss battle. I would just run around avoiding the boss and healing myself and the other player, letting them deal with the boss upclose while I took shots from the distance, made it to Blight Town, I think, and I gave up.

But sure, didn't you hear? It's the best game of the last generation! It has no flaws....you must be the problem! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

God of war 3 , (i think 3) anyway tried and tried at least 10 or more times to dispatch Zeus final boss , got sick if it and there was an option to take the game from normal to easy mode. At any stage of the game and begrudgingly I set it to easy and even then it took me a few goes to finish. Great game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Kirby wrote: »
    But sure, didn't you hear? It's the best game of the last generation! It has no flaws....you must be the problem! :p

One flaw straight away is the inventory system.
    You get so many random items and you don't know what to do with half of them or how to use them correctly.

I should point out that I never completed Dark Souls, I stopped playing for the sake of my sanity...this and Fifa 11-14 have been the only real games in recent years to drive me to the point of throwing the controller. So I just scream at the TV "No, you're lying, that's BS !!" and turn off the console and go make tea instead,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Didn't General ram have a massive flaw to exploit?? you could just hide behind cover and shoot at his foot??/lob grenades?

Never found ruby weapon a challenge luckily.

Shinobi. To my shame is the only game I've ever started that I liked but never finished. I was like 6 at the time and only made it to the final level once.

IIRC the scar one you had to do the roll thing and throw him like judo?

Ninja Gaiden had some bastards as bosses

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

M Bison - he has definately beat me more than I beat him. Got through the rest generally fine but once I hit him i thought the difficulty spiked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Most of the later boss battles in Metal Gear solid peace walker. Viciously tough to do solo. Excellent game but Christ those custom versions are bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

You need the final attack and Phoenix materia together to beat the Weapons in FF7 and then pound it with Knights of the Round summon, that thing was hilariously OP before the term even existed.

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 and Lost Planet all had points that made me give up on them and that was on normal difficulties :mad:

The last boss in Dead Rising nearly had me until I fluked it.

Oh and that ****ing goat in Broken Sword had me broken until the cousin of one of my friends told me the solution, no 30 second answer in pre-internet days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

You need the final attack and Phoenix materia together to beat the Weapons in FF7 and then pound it with Knights of the Round summon, that thing was hilariously OP before the term even existed.

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 and Lost Planet all had points that made me give up on them and that was on normal difficulties :mad:

The last boss in Dead Rising nearly had me until I fluked it.

Oh and that ****ing goat in Broken Sword had me broken until the cousin of one of my friends told me the solution, no 30 second answer in pre-internet days!
    w-summon, mime ,mime, haedes+kotr. Easiest fight ever vs ruby

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Every so often i think of vanquish and the challenge mode that i never beat. Insanely difficult compared to the main game.

Its the only game that beat me that I can recall. Dark Souls a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

RAAM on Hardcore,

I stupidly missed all the ammo and guns before him, didn't bother re- doing the whole mission....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Most recently Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat (the new one). Side note: I really hate when they release a game with the exact same name as a previous one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Omega weapon. Still haven't given up though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Omega weapon. Still haven't given up though...

Which Omega Weapon?

Advertisement