Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder rates and house prices (split from Depressing Dublin House prices)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

Bepolite wrote: »
    Okay here's one for you kind folks. Summerhill / NCR 5 bedroom house for 150K - would you?

I was looking around there the other day, I know it has the reputation for being Ireland's answer to downtown Mogadishu and I'm under no illusions about the area but I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Burglaries don't look like too much of an issue but that's possibly because no-one has anything to nick.

Try the walkaround at 10pm and see how you get on.
    And have a chat on your new iPhone as you do it :)

If you post here tomorrow from that phone you might be safe enough. :)

But to be fair, we all know the undesirable areas, though some people might be sensitive when they are from or live in the area when you mention that its undesirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Ì always walk round and area tbh, I pop into the shops and strike up conversations with people. Yes you might come across as a bit odd but if you're going to be dropping hundreds of thousands of Euro I think it's well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The Spider wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to live in an area that had the 'odd murder' full stop.

Well, given the way the world is today, it's impossible to avoid areas that have had a murder. Unless you live on a desert island!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

McDook wrote: »
    I said walk around Tallaght for a few hours.
    I didnt say walk around the whole of Tallaght in a few hours.
    You can just walk around where you are thinking of buying if you want.
    Dont take my word for it, and similarly dont take anyones word who tells you its a lovely place to bring up a family. Do it yourself if you are planning on buying there.
    Or get the last bus back on a Friday night. Lovely experience.
    Then come back and say you are going ahead with the buy.
    For anyone living there already or from Tallaght. I call VI.
    Try to look at things objectively. Im not trying to insult you. Just pointing out that there are nicer areas to want to bring up a family in. Dont take it so personally.

I would advise buyers to do this in any area they intend to buy. I just picked Tallaght because I know it so well.

I think you are seriously overplaying the risk. You make it sound like some sort of anarchical dystopia where anyone daring to venture outside their door after dark is guaranteed to become a victim of crime. This is simply not the case.

Question for you. For someone with the kind of budget that buys a house in tallaght, say 150-200k, what alternative area would you recommend?

spockety wrote: »
    I think you are seriously overplaying the risk. You make it sound like some sort of anarchical dystopia where anyone daring to venture outside their door after dark is guaranteed to become a victim of crime. This is simply not the case.

Question for you. For someone with the kind of budget that buys a house in tallaght, say 150-200k, what alternative area would you recommend?

Cabra and D7 in general. Depends what you want though tallaght is fine. Meath and Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Question for you. For someone with the kind of budget that buys a house in tallaght, say 150-200k, what alternative area would you recommend?[/QUO

Dublin 15 can get a nice house for that

Dublin 15 can get a nice house for that

There are some areas of D15 which genuinely are scary though!

There are some areas of D15 which genuinely are scary though!
    Before living there I would have thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

So...
    The Spider = McDook

;) Ssh

Before living there I would have thought the same.

To be fair I used to live there and it's the same as anywhere 97% of it's fine. Ironically enough I'm quite familiar with a few murders that took place D15 way.

• Advertisement

To be fair I used to live there and it's the same as anywhere 97% of it's fine. Ironically enough I'm quite familiar with a few murders that took place D15 way.

I hope not to familiar !!

Yep most people are down to earth good neighbours.

Sorry I should have clarified that, I interned in a solicitors firm dealing with a couple of cases out that way.

Sounds like Tallaght so!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

Well they would have to buy in an area, wherever they deem suitable, where the value of their house is 150 - 200k wouldnt they. Or else keep renting.

There is a reason houses are cheaper in some areas than others, and you would think nobody on here knows what it is the way they are refusing to mention it.

Why dont they move to Limerick and buy two or three of these houses then
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=555814

They look lovely inside.

And im sure the neighbors will be on telling us thats its a lovely area and people often walk around alone at night.

McDook wrote: »
    Well they would have to buy in an area, wherever they deem suitable, where the value of their house is 150 - 200k wouldnt they. Or else keep renting.

There is a reason houses are cheaper in some areas than others, and you would think nobody on here knows what it is the way they are refusing to mention it.

Why dont they move to Limerick and buy two or three of these houses then
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=555814

They look lovely inside.

And im sure the neighbors will be on telling us thats its a lovely area and people often walk around alone at night.

Oookaaaaaaaay.....

Sorry to drag this OT by keep asking about areas but D3 near Fairview Park - likely to be murdered regularly or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Sorry to drag this OT by keep asking about areas but D3 near Fairview Park - likely to be murdered regularly or?

Google Fairview Park, there have been quite awful incidents there in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

moxin wrote: »

Better walk around everywhere within an hours walk of there at 10pm to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

only the once.

• Advertisement

moxin wrote: »
    Google Fairview Park, there have been quite awful incidents there in the past.

Sorry to ask this in such a blunt manner but these wouldn't have involved men there at night on they're own would it? When I google it I only get the one in Ohio.

Sorry to ask this in such a blunt manner but these wouldn't have involved men there at night on they're own would it? When I google it I only get the one in Ohio.

https://www.google.ie/#q=fairview+park+assault+dublin

Many Thanks - however that leads me to believe it's no worse than Phoenix park. Some of those stories got a lot of press attention (rightly so) but they seem to be sporadic instances.

Many Thanks - however that leads me to believe it's no worse than Phoenix park. Some of those stories got a lot of press attention (rightly so) but they seem to be sporadic instances.

Phoenix Park gets hell of alot more footfall than the smaller Fairview Park. By the way you'd be mad to venture into any park at night!!

Advertisement