Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on SW tenant issue.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

TRS30 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about this advice.

One hand it seems that I should do everything by the book, issue termination letters etc and then it seems that I should use the deposit as a way to bribe them to leave.

Sorry maybe I'm not picking it up right.

I am making an assumption (call t an educated guess based on previous experience) that there is zero chance of the tenant making good the outstanding rent. Given enough notice to leave - it should be easy enough for them to find alternative accommodation. If you retain the deposit, this could make it difficult for them to secure new accommodation. Just being practical.

My advice is geared towards ending this tenancy quickly - so that you may get a higher paying tenant in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

McDook wrote: »
    A solicitor wont cost you as much as you think. Maybe even a visit for just a chat will give you all the info you need.

And you can ask your tennant for everything thats owed to you no matter which lease it was on and. You are owed what you are owed. end of.

But like every rat, the best way is to leave it a gap and let run away through it. If you trap it its a much dirtier fighter than you are and it may do even more damage.

How much roughly would it cost to chat with a solicitor? Do you need one who specifies in this type of thing? Any recommendations?
    yankinlk wrote: »
    I am making an assumption (call t an educated guess based on previous experience) that there is zero chance of the tenant making good the outstanding rent. Given enough notice to leave - it should be easy enough for them to find alternative accommodation. If you retain the deposit, this could make it difficult for them to secure new accommodation. Just being practical.

My advice is geared towards ending this tenancy quickly - so that you may get a higher paying tenant in place.

Thanks- ideally that is what I want at this stage. I'm happy to write off the rent owed and give them back the deposit if they leave quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

How much roughly would it cost to chat with a solicitor? Do you need one who specifies in this type of thing? Any recommendations?

Thanks- ideally that is what I want at this stage. I'm pay to write off the rent owed and give them back the deposit if they leave quickly.

Try posting something on AAM looking for a number and you might even get someone who will talk to you for free.

Id say 50 - €100 would get you sorted. Ask on the phone how much they are charging first for the initial consultation. Dont forget to offset it for tax.
    You only want someone to tell you what your options are and if its worth following through on any of them, so you wont need any follow up unless you want to retain their srvices for your next move.

Im sure you will be told just best to suck it up and get rid. But you will get options from someone whos job it is to know what they are talking about and not the likes of us on the interwebs who can say anything we want and pretend we are experts in something we're not. Might as well go down the pub and ask :D

Try posting something on AAM looking for a number and you might even get someone who will talk to you for free.

Id say 50 - €100 would get you sorted. Ask on the phone how much they are charging first for the initial consultation. Dont forget to offset it for tax.
    You only want someone to tell you what your options are and if its worth following through on any of them, so you wont need any follow up unless you want to retain their srvices for your next move.

Im sure you will be told just best to suck it up and get rid. But you will get options from someone whos job it is to know what they are talking about and not the likes of us on the interwebs who can say anything we want and pretend we are experts in something we're not. Might as well go down the pub and ask :D

Thanks- I would have thought it would be a lot more than that so good to know.

Have posted on AAM so hopefully between here and there I will get some recommendations.

Thanks- I would have thought it would be a lot more than that so good to know.

Have posted on AAM so hopefully between here and there I will get some recommendations.

MAke sure you get a recommendation now because as with everything some of them WILL see you as a cash cow. And you dont want them.

• Advertisement

MAke sure you get a recommendation now because as with everything some of them WILL see you as a cash cow. And you dont want them.

Yes would very much like a recommendation.

Nothing on here or AAM so far!

Anyone got a recommendation of a good solicitor? PM me is necessary.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As always, be wary of the one post wonders offering the number of a solicitor after they helped them with (ZOMGs!) the same issue as you have.

Yes would very much like a recommendation.

Nothing on here or AAM so far!

Thanks.

Im afraid I cant recommend one. Since I said to get one I wouldnt want to come across as trying to push someone on you.
    You should get one at AAM. If you post in the right thread there you might even get one who can advise you for nothing, just to help you. As long as you know he is a solicitor and not a keyboard expert then you are ok.

Has anyone used or heard of Hayes Solicitors?

http://www.hayes-solicitors.ie/propertynews.htm

Thanks.

Has anyone used or heard of Hayes Solicitors?

http://www.hayes-solicitors.ie/propertynews.htm

Thanks.

€300 for an hours consultation.

Waiting on a smaller local solicitor to get back to me.

• Advertisement

€300 for an hours consultation.

Waiting on a smaller local solicitor to get back to me.

Ask for a half hour chat over the phone. They can do it in the car on their way home. Should be much cheaper.

I think they'll tell you that you are best letting the rat run anyway.

Ask for a half hour chat over the phone. They can do it in the car on their way home. Should be much cheaper.

I think they'll tell you that you are best letting the rat run anyway.

Ideally would like them to look at the documentation I have so a face to face meeting is probably more suitable. As you said it might not take an hour and they will only charge me for the amount of time it takes not the full hour.

I will wait till the other solicitor gets back to me and then make a decision.

Just an update.

Meeting local solicitor on Monday, €125 for an hour.

Will let you know the outcome.

Advertisement