Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

dunnerc wrote: »
    An awful lot of nasty comments about Dermot Connolly being allowed on the Mayo thread
    why is that?

Totally agree and as a Mayo supporter I'd like to totally disassociate myself from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Absolutely - I'd give any of their forwards a chance from open play rather than O'Connor from placed ball. Their 2 best attacking threats are Keegan and Higgins - but in order for them to engage in attack they have to break their defensive structure.

Dublins biggest mistake on Sunday was overestimating how good Mayo were in attack. The contrived narrative now would have you believe that Mayos change in tactics in the last 10 minutes is their blueprint for Saturday. There were a couple of issues at play here -

we were 7 points up they had to chase the game.

We sat deeper protecting the goal as points alone was never going to win it for Mayo.

The peno rattled us rightly - no getting around that in fairness.

All 3 of the recognised midfielders were gone - plus the subsequent red card and Alan Brogan shipping a big knock - the scope or inclination wasn't there to hit them on the break.

I really hope that Mayo persist with this tactic Saturday - a game of open football will suit us down to the ground.

On the ball. We saw how poor their shooting was, and Cillian is lethal anywhere inside the 45. Unless there is a goal threat we need to let them shoot rather than foul. James McCarthy I'm looking at you.

Their runners are lethal though, Keegan will roam more with Connolly off the pitch. Him, Boyle and Higgins are very hard to stop once they get running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Connollys appeal will be heard by the CAC this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Kalyke wrote: »
    Connollys appeal will be heard by the CAC this evening.

I think he should get off and hope he does

• Registered Users Posts: 12,918 ✭✭✭✭JRant

On the ball. We saw how poor their shooting was, and Cillian is lethal anywhere inside the 45. Unless there is a goal threat we need to let them shoot rather than foul. James McCarthy I'm looking at you.

Their runners are lethal though, Keegan will roam more with Connolly off the pitch. Him, Boyle and Higgins are very hard to stop once they get running.

I can see Brady being given the job of marshalling Keegan.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

dunnerc wrote: »
    An awful lot of nasty comments about Dermot Connolly being allowed on the Mayo thread
    why is that?
    Not meant as a nasty comment, but I think he needs to mature a bit as a player. Can you imagine what he'd be like if he had to endure the endless provocation that O'Shea does for Mayo throughout a game? Provocation does not necessitate the kind of reactions he is prone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

K4t wrote: »
    Not meant as a nasty comment, but I think he needs to mature a bit as a player. Can you imagine what he'd be like if he had to endure the endless provocation that O'Shea does for Mayo throughout a game? Provocation does not necessitate the kind of reactions he is prone to.

Well in fairness last minute of a highly intense game he is pulled and dragged out of as he trys to go forward. So I don't think anyone can moan at him too much for his reaction when there was a lot of niggly stuff going on from both sides. Plus you tend to react to things when you are full of testosterone alot differently compared to when you are cool and calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Connolly case was heard last night and the ban stays, but could go to appeal but looks unlikely.

Can he come on if there was extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Connolly case was heard last night and the ban stays, but could go to appeal but looks unlikely.

Can he come on if there was extra time.

Not if he fails in his appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Fingers crossed Connolly wins his appeal tonight.When can we expect too hear the outcome ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Fingers crossed Connolly wins his appeal tonight.When can we expect too hear the outcome ?

Looks like Saturday as that seems to be the only day it can be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

JRant wrote: »
    I can see Brady being given the job of marshalling Keegan.

Personally - and I've only seen it once this year in the 2nd half of the OBC game in Navan, I'd love to see Jack Mc play in the HF line pushing up on Keegan. I'd have a HB line of McCarthy Small COS or adding a bit more pace McCarthy COS Devereux would be unsure of Nicky having missed so much of the year tho. The thoughts of both Brogans playing inside forward would be great imo

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Twitter has rumours that Connolly has won his appeal

edit: only one source has it now, so don't know

Twitter has rumours that Connolly has won his appeal

edit: only one source has it now, so don't know

Reliable source ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Looks like it could be a few wind up merchants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Surely we'd find out sooner than Saturday sure the appeal is tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

It's Mayo Gaa Banter page, id wait for something more concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 12,918 ✭✭✭✭JRant

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Personally - and I've only seen it once this year in the 2nd half of the OBC game in Navan, I'd love to see Jack Mc play in the HF line pushing up on Keegan. I'd have a HB line of McCarthy Small COS or adding a bit more pace McCarthy COS Devereux would be unsure of Nicky having missed so much of the year tho. The thoughts of both Brogans playing inside forward would be great imo

That would be a huge call and fairly risky. I can't see the backline being changed if they can help it.

Agreed about the Brogans. Alan is superb at making space for Berno to play in. I just don't think Alan has the fitness levels required to start.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Too late to mess around too much.

A couple of simple things we know will improve us - Bastick in for Mike improves midfield a lot going by last weeks game. I'll happily drop Rock if Connolly wins his appeal, I rewatched the game yesterday and I counted one possession for him. Alan and Kev both looked sharp off the bench so I'd happily start them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That post has been removed from Mayo Banter page, say it was a rogue administration trolling. Having said that as a Mayo fan I would expect him to get off.

• Advertisement

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Surely we'd find out sooner than Saturday sure the appeal is tonight?

Just read that the Dublin County Board will to go to the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) if Connolly does not win with his appeal tonight.

From a trusted source: Diarmuid Connolly Central Appeals Committee likely to be a late one. Meeting hasn't started yet

Wish they'd hurry up with the Connolly decision,some of us have to go to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Myself and a few mates got a few trays of beer, gonna stay up all night on Twitter hitting F5.
    Might order pizza. Session!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

I presume if you were Jim Gavin, from Monday you would be preparing to play without DC, this would mean that you would be preparing a week with a different game plan. If however one of the appeals is successful on say Friday, would you decide to leave DC on the line and spring him from the bench if things are not going to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm in. I'll bring the spicy potato wedges and chicken wings with Cashel blue cheese dip thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You were doing so well until the blue cheese dip.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm hearing that too. :D

Mmmmmm....stinky blue cheese. :P

I was up north today. Coz, ya know those dirty Nordies need their regular telling off about how they are sullying the purity of our glorious game. Anyhoo...the Marks & Spencers up there, sell mojitos and gin and tonics and Cosmopolitans....in a can !

WHY am I only finding out about this now? :confused:

And will I get fecked off the Hill, on Sat if I show up with them?

Anyone want one?

Not sure how well they'll go with the chocolate hobnobs...but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I presume if you were Jim Gavin, from Monday you would be preparing to play without DC, this would mean that you would be preparing a week with a different game plan. If however one of the appeals is successful on say Friday, would you decide to leave DC on the line and spring him from the bench if things are not going to plan.

I highly doubt that one absent player completely changes the preparation and team strategy. If he's available he'll start.

• Advertisement

Time for some late night corn flakes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement