Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPORD "Kickass"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Well done :)

Would you do it again with a bit more of a targeted effort?

Thanks man.

I'd definitely do it again. I'd like to think that I would specifically train for it too but I'm not so sure. IV seen what the training etc has done to a few friends of mine.....no thanks :). I don't have that dedication.

The distance wasn't a problem at all. I was majorly restricted in the pace I could hold with the ITB though. The pain got too much at mile 16 and when I met a friend at the 20 mile mark, she gave me some painkillers. I picked up the pace after they kicked in but it was way too late.

Iv no doubt that I could have gotten a lot closer to the 4hr time if I was injury free but tbh, I'm really happy. It's my first attempt with no specific training and I'm pretty fatigued from the other races leading up to it. I was obviously stupid but I'm happy I made it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd be pretty sure that if you'd been fresher and had no injury, you'd have made it to the 4hr mark.

As for training for it specifically, I do think there's a way of loosely following a programme and getting under the 4hrs without it becoming an increasingly unbearable chore. The principles of the programs are all pretty similar and if you follow them you'd be grand. But this craic of having to do X on a Tuesday, Y on a Wednesday, Z on a Friday etc etc...it's not always feasible.

For me it boiled down to getting in shorter quickewr runs and longer mileage runs. I was less deciated with the latter, mind you.

That said, I know it wasn't optimal but running wasn't my first sport so it wasn't monopolising my sports time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

fair fecks! How did you find the doms the few days after the event?

Remmy wrote: »
    fair fecks! How did you find the doms the few days after the event?

Cheers man. I was pretty bad up until Wednesday. Hobbling around like a spa. I went for a 10km run on Wednesday and got a massage on Thursday. The guy did a great number on all my knots and ITB.

I signed up for the Clonakilty marathon in 5 weeks time. I have 2 half marathons and a 10km race before then so il just take it easy between them.

How are you getting on?

Cheers man. I was pretty bad up until Wednesday. Hobbling around like a spa. I went for a 10km run on Wednesday and got a massage on Thursday. The guy did a great number on all my knots and ITB.

I signed up for the Clonakilty marathon in 5 weeks time. I have 2 half marathons and a 10km race before then so il just take it easy between them.

How are you getting on?

feck that's not much down-time after the marathon nice one. I'm gonna go for my first run since over a month tomorrow . I'm gonna do 3 miles and expect it to be pretty embarrassing time wise :D I want to do my first triathlon in the new year, so I'd like to do a few more running races & duathlons to help ease me in.:)

• Advertisement

I signed up for the Clonakilty marathon in 5 weeks time. I have 2 half marathons and a 10km race before then so il just take it easy between them

I don't even.

Any chance you could give yourself a chance of nailing a marathon like you could?

I don't even.

Any chance you could give yourself a chance of nailing a marathon like you could?

Maybe next year :)

Ah just seeing the year out. Il do it properly next year. Promise!

feck that's not much down-time after the marathon nice one. I'm gonna go for my first run since over a month tomorrow . I'm gonna do 3 miles and expect it to be pretty embarrassing time wise :D I want to do my first triathlon in the new year, so I'd like to do a few more running races & duathlons to help ease me in.:)

Feck it man, ant time is a good time as long as you are training. You will pick up the pace in no time.

What triathlon are you doing? Iv to learn how to swim before I do one. Me and a friend have committed ourselves to doing one maybe mid year. You got a training plan for it?

Maybe next year :)

Ah just seeing the year out. Il do it properly next year. Promise!

I'll let you off this time. Don't make me regret that :D

Remmy, just do it man. It doesn't matter how you do. All you're doing is setting a time to beat for the next time.

Il try make you proud in 5 weeks man :)

• Advertisement

I'm not going to make any bold statements but I will adopt you if you go below 4hrs.

I'm not going to make any bold statements but I will adopt you if you go below 4hrs.

Wait.......wait......can you cook? :)

Iv no chance of a sub 4 but fcuk my face I will damn well go for it! I'd have to knock off a minute per mile going on my last result.

Feck it man, ant time is a good time as long as you are training. You will pick up the pace in no time.

What triathlon are you doing? Iv to learn how to swim before I do one. Me and a friend have committed ourselves to doing one maybe mid year. You got a training plan for it?

Yeah I need to remind myself it's silly comparing myself to the top guys that have been competing for ages but it's hard. I'm a pretty weak swimmer myself and have no experience with people jostling & swimming over me.:D
    I really like the look of "triathy" and it's the 30th of may so plenty time to put in a good amount of training. A buddy of mine who has done a few has said it's better to start with a pool based one though. Any ones you were looking at?

Yeah I need to remind myself it's silly comparing myself to the top guys that have been competing for ages but it's hard. I'm a pretty weak swimmer myself and have no experience with people jostling & swimming over me.:D
    I really like the look of "triathy" and it's the 30th of may so plenty time to put in a good amount of training. A buddy of mine who has done a few has said it's better to start with a pool based one though. Any ones you were looking at?

Nothing in particular tbh, need to learn how to swim first :). Yeah I get what you mean about comparing yourself to the pros. I do that too, I'm nowhere near as fit as those guys but I still turn up anyway. Mostly for the craic like.

Haven't done too much lately.

Last Sunday I did 11 handy miles in 2:05, still felt fcuked afterwards though. Yesterday was a handy 5km, and a 5km at lunch today.

Got home tonight and decided to go for a light trot again, ended up doing just under 24km in 2:46.

Happy enough.....10km run tomorrow night in Dublin, can't wait!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

good luck tonight and have fun
    :)

Nothing in particular tbh, need to learn how to swim first :). Yeah I get what you mean about comparing yourself to the pros. I do that too, I'm nowhere near as fit as those guys but I still turn up anyway. Mostly for the craic like.

Haven't done too much lately.

Last Sunday I did 11 handy miles in 2:05, still felt fcuked afterwards though. Yesterday was a handy 5km, and a 5km at lunch today.

Got home tonight and decided to go for a light trot again, ended up doing just under 24km in 2:46.

Happy enough.....10km run tomorrow night in Dublin, can't wait!

Are you part gazelle ? Hope you did well on your dublin run:).

bluewolf wrote: »
    good luck tonight and have fun
    :)

Cheers, it was fun! I heard someone died though! ;(

Are you part gazelle ? Hope you did well on your dublin run:).

Run went well, ran with a friend. Did it in 58 something. Happy out.

Yeah, a 3 legged gazelle! :)

Man, I'm not fast at all at all! Did 8km yesterday in 39:02 and again just now in 41:01.

How the fcuk do people run a sub 40min 10km?! Cnuts!

Lovely 12 miler to look forward to 2moro :/

How you getting on?

Went out to do 50km but failed miserably. I got 36 done in 3:44. Happy but pissed off at the same time.

Went out to do 50km but failed miserably. I got 36 done in 3:44. Happy but pissed off at the same time.

Well inside your marathon pace. Nice run!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Only 36. you big slacker. jesus :rolleyes:

:pac:

Run went well, ran with a friend. Did it in 58 something. Happy out.

Yeah, a 3 legged gazelle! :)

Man, I'm not fast at all at all! Did 8km yesterday in 39:02 and again just now in 41:01.

How the fcuk do people run a sub 40min 10km?! Cnuts!

Lovely 12 miler to look forward to 2moro :/

How you getting on?

fair fecks on even attempting a 50km. I'm grand, gonna knock the running on the head for a while and focus on strength stuff. I've gone for a few 3 mile runs and my back has been in bits for days after and me limping around like a tool :D.

fair fecks on even attempting a 50km. I'm grand, gonna knock the running on the head for a while and focus on strength stuff. I've gone for a few 3 mile runs and my back has been in bits for days after and me limping around like a tool :D.

Cheers folks :)

Yeah I'm kinda doing the same. Well, both tbh. It's not great when your back aches after running. I used to get that too but it went away. Are you injured or what's the craic with ya?

Went to the gym last Monday. Strength is waaaaay down! Only managed 3 x 3 @ 50kg on the bench.

It's been months since I benched properly but fcuk me, iv had the DOMS all week. Iv decided to stop fcuking around and try and follow something with structure.

I'm starting 5x5 on Monday and going to take it seriously.

Iv been running all year, weight has come down but shape is still the same. Weights should sort that out.

Half marathon tomorrow, doing it for fun with a friend of mine. Hopefully will be a nice day...soup and sambos afterwards! :)

Another half next weekend, a marathon the following weekend and a 10km Santa dash the following day. Should be fun.

Got a place on the Donadea 50km in Feb....the fcuk am I doing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Went to the gym last Monday. Strength is waaaaay down! Only managed 3 x 3 @ 50kg

Good to see your human after all :D

Lot of running coming up, where do you get the time from at all?

ninamc wrote: »
    Good to see your human after all :D

Lot of running coming up, where do you get the time from at all?

I'm very human! :( unfortunately :)

I have 0 kids \0/ so can pretty much, just lash the runners on and trot away. It's keeping me off the aul "grown up apple juice" too. Well, not completely but ya know yerself :)

Updated to reflect known times, so I don't forget.

Samsung 10km night run - 54:xx
    Lucan 5km park run
    Irish Runner 8km
    Fingal 10km
    Rock and Roll half marathon - 2:00:01 PB
    Warriors Run (15km) - 1:33:xx
    Dublin half marathon - 2:29:11
    Rough Diamond 57km adventure race - 4:04
    Coast to Coast 10 mile - 1:20:xx PB
    Killarney 70km adventure race - 6:43:xx
    An Cosantoir 10km - 47:16 PB
    Coney Island Challenge 10km - 46:06 PB
    SCAR 77km adventure race - 5:57:08
    26 km adventure race - 1:48
    Dublin Marathon - 4:29:28
    Run in the Dark 10km - 58:56
    Laois half marathon - 2:27ish

Still to come:- That's it for the year....I hope :)

Clontarf Half Marathon
    Reindeer run 10km
    Clonakilty Marathon
    Santa Dash 10km

List of possibles for 2015 - More to come

14/02/15 Donadea 50km - Registered
    07/03/15 Carlingford Half Marathon
    12/04/15 Connemarathon
    03/05/15 Limerick Marathon
    16/05/15 Coast to Coast Adventure Race (300km+ non stop)
    23/05/15 Burren Challenge Marathon
    31/05/15 Kilkenny Marathon
    01/06/15 Cork Marathon
    06/06/15 Dingle Adventure Race (48km)
    27/06/15 Gaelforce North Adventure Race (64km)
    02/08/15 Rock and Roll half Marathon Dublin
    03/08/15 Sheelin Challenge 16 mile
    13-16/08/15 - Donegal Quadrathlon
    22/08/15? - Warriors Run Sligo (15km)
    05/09/15 - Dingle Marathon
    13/09/15 - Great North Run Half Marathon (UK)
    27/09/15? - Sligo Coast to Coast 10 mile
    03/10/15 - Killarney Adventure Race (70km)
    04/10/15 - Athlone Half Marathon
    17/10/15? - Skibbereen Charity Adventure Race (77km)
    26/10/15 - Dublin Marathon
    07/11/15 - Sea 2 Summit Adventure Race (56km)

I plan to do the Dublin Race Series as well and any of the WAR events that come up. All depends on any clashes. It will be a busy year but I'm getting it all out of my system while I can still use my legs.

2014/2015 are my mid life crisis years. It's all jigsaws, tea, slippers and pipes from 2016 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Jaysis :eek:

I'll just stick with carrying shopping bags and heavy things yea??
    you big mentaller :D
    and you'll do them all too
    you gonna end up doing the north pole marathon or something?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll just stick with carrying shopping bags and heavy things yea??
    you big mentaller :D
    and you'll do them all too
    you gonna end up doing the north pole marathon or something?

Damn straight I will! My mind is made up and that's that. Unless work or an injury gets in the way, I can see myself doing most if not all of the list.

Fcuk it :)

Advertisement