Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Station closes after landslide!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Interesting. If that's all the case, should there not be a notice up from IE about the impending closure of the station or something? Maybe somebody should tweet them a link to the post asking for confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Interesting. If that's all the case, should there not be a notice up from IE about the impending closure of the station or something? Maybe somebody should tweet them a link to the post asking for confirmation.

It never mentioned closure, what rootsblower is saying looks like a major rationalization is on the cards with only one platform to be in use.

It never mentioned closure, what rootsblower is saying looks like a major rationalization is on the cards with only one platform to be in use.

I see- I assumed work of that scope would involve at least some service disruption or speed restrictions or something. Don't you work for IE Wanderer, have any inside information you can share on whether this is actually happening?

EDIT: [I have no connection to either twitter account]

295980.png

I haven't heard any official information. Status Quo as far as I'm concerned, but the current situation (signalling) is far from ideal, so something may be happening. I guess we'll find out Monday if Rootsblower is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The current set up is now long term apart from the signalling where they will stick a signal at the end of the platform. The bay platform may be extended slightly to stop isolation of coaches in Kilkenny on certain service.

Unless the RAIU report says it must be repaired and rock removed (like where the dual carriageway is) there is no way IE or even the Government are going to give €16 million required to do it. It would double IE's losses overnight so it will have to come from Government if it was to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

It's about as drastic a rationalisation as possible without closing the thing. I would be interested to see how it will fly politically - it would be a massive downgrade of the station. Effectively, a major city terminus will become the sister of Rosslare Euroshack.

Hungerford wrote: »
    It's about as drastic a rationalisation as possible without closing the thing. I would be interested to see how it will fly politically - it would be a massive downgrade of the station. Effectively, a major city terminus will become the sister of Rosslare Euroshack.

As it's not the West coast it will have flown before any politics becomes apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so what points would be removed then? new ross? any bit left from the old line to mallow? so will it be 1 single line into the station with a junction to either limerick or kilkenny? downgrading of bellview and the line to rosslare to an engineers siding? then turn waterford station itself into a shack like rosslare euro dump? the people of waterford should stand up and fight the possible downgrading of their station

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    isolation of coaches in Kilkenny on certain service.

Are staff on the ground implementing a form of SDO now on the Waterford line by isolating doors? Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Are staff on the ground implementing a form of SDO now on the Waterford line by isolating doors? Interesting.

All passengers are moved into the front 4 coaches in Kilkenny. Removing a lot of points in Waterford would allow the bay platform be extended out which seems like it might happen now. A steel panel blocks the empty coaches so people don't wonder down by mistake.

would someone give me a break down of the sets of points in waterford? as to what lines and sidings each control?

would someone give me a break down of the sets of points in waterford? as to what lines and sidings each control?

Can't remember exactly how many points cover the whole yard and station but its close to 20 sets in total.

Bing maps have the most recent images below in the image are the 6 sets most likely to be removed if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Comment from Barry Kenny.
    As you know, we've had temporary working arrangements in place since the start of January at Waterford while the cliff face works were continuing.

The cliff works are taking longer than anticipated so we have made the decision to remove a couple of point ends next week to make the temporary arrangements more efficient. This is not irreversible and does not indicate a longer term plan.

As we've said in public already, there are decisions ahead in the shorter term regarding possible operation of all signalling in the station area from Waterford West cabin, and in the longer term about the station as a whole given the increasing frequency of flood disruption over this and recent winters.

However, the shorter term issues are still under consideration, and there has been no detailed analysis of the longer term issues at this point (and needless to say, no funding to address longer term issues either). So as of now, all that is happening is ongoing cliff face works and minor points rationalisation to facilitate the temporary working arrangements in the station area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

cbl593h wrote: »
    IÉ have a duty of care to customers/staff/contractors. You take reasonable precautions to make sure rockfaces/platform canopies/viaducts/bridges don't collapse.

Where's the "sarcasm" smiley :rolleyes:..........

Dawlish UK- trains one and two here give you the idea...

Funny choice of video to use. Have you seen that stretch of rail now? Landslide would be the least of their worries!

http://youtu.be/HeKh9MAdNVk?t=3m23s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

zetalambda wrote: »
    Funny choice of video to use. Have you seen that stretch of rail now? Landslide would be the least of their worries!

http://youtu.be/HeKh9MAdNVk?t=3m23s

I don't disagree with you in the least after spending the last month marshalling unfortunate passengers towards replacement buses due to the line from Bristol to Plymouth being washed out in two locations !!! :mad:

Fordgate (Bristol to Taunton) will be open in about a week, and Dawlish station and the badly damaged area just north of Dawlish (south of where that Voyager in the video is) will be open by mid March. The railway is being repaired.

The railway however, is not being butchered with no thought of the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't remember exactly how many points cover the whole yard and station but its close to 20 sets in total.

Bing maps have the most recent images below in the image are the 6 sets most likely to be removed if it happens.

I see Waterford is in Co Kilkenny still! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Rodge2012

Waterford station/yard

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote: »
    I see Waterford is in Co Kilkenny still! :rolleyes:
    In fairness, the top of the cliff is Kilkenny, the bottom Waterford city.AFAIK, that area was in Kilkenny county until 1888. Prior to that, the boundary was the north bank of the river, which is approximately where the station-road boundary is now.

296144.PNG

Victor wrote: »
    In fairness, the top of the cliff is Kilkenny, the bottom Waterford city.AFAIK, that area was in Kilkenny county until 1888. Prior to that, the boundary was the north bank of the river, which is approximately where the station-road boundary is now.

296144.PNG
    Yeah top of rock is Kilkenny but Waterford Golf Club is located there and use Waterford as the address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

On what trains do they leave coaches in Kilkenny? I use Kilkenny and I've never seen a split happen!

On what trains do they leave coaches in Kilkenny? I use Kilkenny and I've never seen a split happen!

They don't split them they just empty passengers from them.

They used to split one service per week in 2012 but that was for rostering reaons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

So if emptying coaches is kosher, how come it wasn't possible to send 6-car sets down the Rosslare line south of Greystones? :rolleyes::confused:

I think reducing Waterford to a single bay is yet another poke in the eye for the Limerick Junction service since any slips in the timetable especially if there is delayed occupancy by the Limerick set will cause disruption and blame. As for moving the station, how far out would it move exactly and where would parking go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I took it that the station was being reduced to a shortened platform and a lengthened bay...ie two platforms

i don't know, if their doing any work the through platform should be kept with the line to bellview and rosslare kept as is, an avoiding line for freight trains could be installed, or at least double tracking in the station area, their needs to be a junction somewhere that dublin trains could transfer over to the limerick line and so on without having to make complicated moves, or maybe that is how it is at the moment? (i don't care how likely such a situation is to occur but its about keeping the station operable for future growth) both britain and ireland (britain mainly) are continuing to pay for the mistakes of the past including reinstalling infrastructure that was removed, of course we just continue with such a policy, lets abandon such destructive methods and not allow such bad decisians to be repeated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

They don't split them they just empty passengers from them.

They used to split one service per week in 2012 but that was for rostering reaons.

Huh I've used the train in kilkenny for years and I've never noticed. Would this be on a sunday?

For a while the 1315 Heuston - Waterford used to split at Kilkenny on Friday only.

Can anybody confirm if any changes were made, didn't travel much last week or if I did it was dark. Didn't notice much change if any in the track layout.

Just going back to this, didn't notice until now but they are isolating doors, the last 3 on a 6 piece set. Just like they are able to isolate doors if they are giving any problems. One might say a form of SDO which has always being possible however not an ideal situation for regular use on a route as time delays would be an issue but it's possible if a longer set was required for example a special service.

However the door isloation is not consistejnd, Dublin drivers seem to do it but Waterford ones don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Aside from the rubbish about Ferrybank being in Waterford or Kilkenny and whether IE were so incompetent to have ordered carriages with or without selective door opening it seems to have been missed on here that Waterford Central was decommissioned on 30th of March.

Wise and fair people on faceache have come up with some good quotes-

"It was decommissioned over the weekend, major track work was also done on a "temporary basis" along with most if the signals. For the "foreseeable future" there ll be only one platform in use and only one of the mainlines in use both through the station and leaving the station."

And- "Most of the semaphore arms are covered with black plastic bags and the rest have their arms removed. The light signal at Abbey junction is covered, a new signal has been erected in the yard controlling the point which separates the track for the Dublin/limerick routes."

And I can't reproduce the photo but-
    "Apologies for the weird camera angle, the permanent way team in irish rail have been having a bit of fun over the weekend. From now on the only way for a train to access the main platform is via the goods yard ie for the freight to Belview. The only platform in use is no 5, I was out at 8am on Sunday last to get photos etc. The old 3 arm signal that controlled the West Waterford/limerick /Dublin lines was also decommissioned, as well as quite a few of the others. Now we basically have two sidings and a yard, where once we had a thriving railway system."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement