Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people miss the point of nightclubs?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Clubs are grand, you kind of sign yourself up for loud tunes and a reek of sweat when you pay at the door.

What really annoys me is going to someone's house for a few pre-drinks with friends and they have tunes banging. Have it on kind of low in the background to avoid complete silences, but not so loud you've to shout into someone's ear when you're sitting on the same couch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I came across this article online which I found interesting.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-big-night-outat-the-end-of-western-civilisation

It's about a nightclub in Milton Keynes, but I think its fairly indicative of a lot of nightclubs here now.

Here's a few quotes which stood out for me:
    At some point, nightclub promoters became entranced with the idea of paying minor celebrities to make "public appearances" in nightclubs. More depressingly, it seems to be wildly successful. It basically seems like the death of nightlife. But as a touring scene, it's one that currently has more nationwide appeal than any music scene does.
    Why does every group of young women confronted with a camera bigger than an iPhone these days feels the need to assemble themselves into formation like this.jpg
    It appears that in the wake of all the bull**** we've been put through in the last few years, the minor celebrity guest appearance scene represents a new kind of emergent club culture, one which wasn't readily available to the masses before. Going out used to be about getting fcuked up, getting laid and maybe getting in a fight if you were so inclined, but there is none of that now. Just desperate groups of bored looking people all trying to impress each other.

So to answer the OP's question; its not people that miss the point of nightclubs, its nightclubs that miss the point of nightclubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

131spanner wrote: »
    What really annoys me is going to someone's house for a few pre-drinks with friends and they have tunes banging. Have it on kind of low in the background to avoid complete silences, but not so loud you've to shout into someone's ear when you're sitting on the same couch :(

Did you try mentioning this to your friends??:D

Advertisement