Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people miss the point of nightclubs?

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Two reasons I go to nightclubs is to act the bollocks on the dancefloor and to try and score some aul one. I can't see much other reason for why you'd want to go to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Aidric wrote: »
    Important point. Stupid closing times means people getting as much in to them before the cut off and just ends up in a lot of messy people milling about. Much prefer the continental approach of clubbing in to the next morning if you see fit.
    You'll also have people leaving the club at different times when they've run out of money/had enough. Meaning large crowds of drunken people aren't being herded out onto the street at the same time come 2:30 am and causing chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

syklops wrote: »
    Me: HI!!!
    Girl:WHAT?!?

Yeah, great fun.

hahahah you wouldnt want to meet a girl l know, its not "WHAT?!?!" its "FCUK OFF!!!!! :mad:" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Clubs aren't for me.

Neither are loud pubs where conversation is very difficult.

Each to their own I guess. I'm not sure what I'm missing the point of though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Morf wrote: »
    Clubs aren't for me.

Each to their own I guess. I'm not sure what I'm missing the point of though.

Same here. What gets me out of a pub the fastest? The sound of fiddles being tuned.

Come to think of it I was in a night club recently. I enjoyed it and it surprised me, but it was basically a late bar with subtle music. We could talk and drink. Went until about 3 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Morf wrote: »
    This can be a problem for me. My hearing isn't exactly the best so quite often I just can't follow conversations and just end up sitting there. I usually end up staying in the smoking area longer than I intended so I can have a conversation with someone.

This can be a problem for me. My hearing isn't exactly the best so quite often I just can't follow conversations and just end up sitting there. I usually end up staying in the smoking area longer than I intended so I can have a conversation with someone.

I find shouting in some other person's ear or them doing them same really unpleasant. Asking them to shout in your ear again because you've missed it the first time is quite embarrassing. I end up just nodding or something and give up on discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

karaokeman wrote: »
    For those inquiring about my age, I am 22.

I only started going to nightclubs regularly at 20 when I started college in NUIM, and I haven't been to Rockafellas, or the Ozone/Zinc.

Ah ozone, one place where even I could get a bit.
    Chefrio wrote: »
    There's usually less noisy parts of nightclubs where you can talk, and not just smoking areas.

In short, you're doing it wrong.

Not in any club I've ever been to or worked in, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

I would say, nightclubs are not necessarily for talking to your friends, but for dancing and having fun.

it would still be possible to dance to music played at a normal level.

why does the music have to be so loud ?

i dont understand it

• Advertisement

The thing for me, and the reason I like them is because it's something different

That is probably why I do not like them myself. I do not see them as "different". I see them as being the same every time I go. Mostly the same music. The same things happening. The same repeition of guys engaged in girl stalking. The same fights. The same clothes. The same posturing. The same lines. The same drunkenness. The same - same - same - same - same.

There was a point in my life I enjoyed them and then I guess it just got samey.

green123 wrote: »
    it would still be possible to dance to music played at a normal level.

i dont understand it

People drink more when they can't talk to each other. The thing of wanting a glass or bottle in your hand rather than feeling awkward. It's certainly not for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

green123 wrote: »
    Less time to talk means more time to drink. It's the same reason some nightclubs are very warm; so you drink more to cool down. Unfortunately, you drink water to cool down, as alcohol can make you think you're warm, and thus a cycle begins.

=-=

The main clubs I goto now are metal pubs, with live bands. Wouldn't mind finding a club that plays early 2000 hardhouse music, though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm bald....therefore i look silly in niteclubs and don't go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Dublin doesn't have night clubs per se, just late bars with music and a bit of a dance floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

That is probably why I do not like them myself. I do not see them as "different". I see them as being the same every time I go. Mostly the same music. The same things happening. The same repeition of guys engaged in girl stalking. The same fights. The same clothes. The same posturing. The same lines. The same drunkenness. The same - same - same - same - same.

There was a point in my life I enjoyed them and then I guess it just got samey.

Agree here although once in a while they're great craic, but there's only so many times you can endure that mash up of all of fives greatest hits at the end of the night, when there's so many other good songs out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I never did like nightclubs even when I was young, and only really went, because the rest of the lads were going, so it was either that or go home.

The reason I don't like them is down to the music. I always thought it was crap, and dreamed of a nightclub that would play only alternative rock or indie music.

Plus the standard of women in them was way better than what I would have met in a rock bar. The problem was when I chatted to said women in nightclubs, I realised I had zero in common with them, and everything in common with the rock chicks.

So I eventually just went to the rock joints.

Of course those types of clubs and late bars are all over the place now, but at almost 37, I'm more inclined to stay in a pub.

I can't see how anyone would pay 10 or 15 euro into a club.

Are they just places to go "on the pull"?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

I love nightclubs but they close way too early here. Spain on the other hand has much better opening hours in that regard, I hate getting ready so early (particularly if you are going to a pub first or a house). I don't think Ireland has particularly good clubs as people pointed out they're like late bars but I like the general chart type music so I like what is played in the clubs.

Also when I lived in New Zealand there were no cover charges and the clubs opened so much longer it was amazing and cheap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Problem with nightclubs is people aren't open enough to new people in ireland, meaning nightclubs are fairly mundaine and don't really offer anything new from one night to the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Problem with nightclubs is people aren't open enough to new people in ireland, meaning nightclubs are fairly mundaine and don't really offer anything new from one night to the next.

That's a generalisation and a half!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 120 ✭✭Chefrio

EdenHazard wrote: »

Thats a load of rubbish, nightclubs are what you make of them, they can be great fun if you have the right attitude.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Actually I reckon there is a very, very large percentage of women who go to nightclubs with no intention of 'pulling, at all. They literally go for the 'laugh' and to dance. I remember Johnny Vegas's wife, what's her name-Maia something, did a show a few months back where she actually had an episode that dealt with this. She headed out with 5 women in their twenties who dressed up all for 'each other', not for men and only went out to dance, no intention of pulling. Even Maia (Dunphy, that's the name...) thought it was very odd so I don't know is this a recent thing. Maybe the older posters can throw a bit of light on it.

They aren't looking to meet men, but the possibility that a group of good looking women will draw admiring glances from men is not lost on them. Men do the same type of thing, only more ineptly by making a lot of noise, wearing suits to nightclubs or buying champagne etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Chefrio wrote: »
    Thats a load of rubbish, nightclubs are what you make of them, they can be great fun if you have the right attitude.

The same can be said about mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

I do enjoy a good bop the odd time, but to be honest i'm growing sick of nightclubs. I think unfortunately for many blokes it's seen as their best shot of meeting girls. If the majority (and I include myself in this) grew a pair and approached during the day, I reckon luck with girls would be increased for most lads. just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I never really liked nightclubs. looking back now I'd say I've had more bad nights than good nights in them. When I was younger I really liked the trance/electronic music and there were a few clubs in those days that played that sort of music which was good. Unfortunately it was ruined by the drunken fights and my number one pet peeve at the time - smoke. Prior to the smoking ban it was a fecking disaster going into pubs/clubs. It would burn the eyes, make breathing difficult and you'd get a horrible smell off your clothes the following day. I hated it.

Once the smoking ban came in things improved a bit, but the music went shyte around the mid 00's. Then came the economic downturn and less people were going out and it just got boring.

I find most clubs nowadays are very pretentious. Fire breathers, trapeze artists and Z-list celebs are often brought in to draw the crowds. It's hard to talk to women when all they're interested in is seeing the latest member from Geordie Shore. IMO smart phones and social media have fúcked up the nightlife too. People are more interested in taking selfies and looking good for the facebook photos. It's hard to approach people when they're constantly glued to their phones. It's like they spend more time recording the moment than actually living it. And you're almost afraid to let loose and make a fool of yourself in case some fúcker decides to record it on their phone and upload it to facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Daveysil15 wrote: »

IMO smart phones and social media have fúcked up the nightlife too. People are more interested in taking selfies and looking good for the facebook photos.

This X 1,000,000 along with the check in feature on Facebook does my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

I suspect that criticisms of nightclubs mainly come from insecure/social anxious types who are intimidated by loud music, crowded venues, interactions with strangers and approaching the opposite sex.

I suspect that criticisms of nightclubs mainly come from insecure/social anxious types who are intimidated by loud music, crowded venues, interactions with strangers and approaching the opposite sex.

Or just people who genuinely don't like nightclubs....

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

roro1990 wrote: »
    Or just people who genuinely don't like nightclubs....

I believe it is not nightclubs that are the problem but the people who don't like them. If someone wants to have a better time at nightclubs it would be worthwhile learning how to relax, brush up on their social skills, get more practice chatting up the opposite sex and take up dancing lessons etc.
    If they hate nightclubs it is probably because they have these problems.
    If they don't want to change then maybe they shouldn't go in the first place.

• Advertisement

I believe it is not nightclubs that are the problem but the people who don't like them. If someone wants to have a better time at nightclubs it would be worthwhile learning how to relax, brush up on their social skills, get more practice chatting up the opposite sex and take up dancing lessons etc.
    If they hate nightclubs it is probably because they have these problems.
    If they don't want to change then maybe they shouldn't go in the first place.

I used to like nightclubs, but I've grown a bit sick of them to be honest. Once a month is grand for me. I consider myself half decent at dancing and feel very relaxed in large crowds. But there are more, and some would say better ways than a crowded club and dutch courage to approach girls.

Advertisement