Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people miss the point of nightclubs?

Options
  • 01-01-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of people who hate nightclubs, mostly blokes. The thing for me, and the reason I like them is because it's something different, and it makes a night out feel more complete.

The common criticism is "oh the music is too loud and you can't hear anyone". Personally, I have always seen nightclubs as that place to go after a pub. I would say, nightclubs are not necessarily for talking to your friends, but for dancing and having fun.

The music is good for the occasion, I don't really see the point in complaining about how bland/generic/safe it is, I like my fair share of alternative sounds, but for nightclubs, a good mix of mainstream pop and rock is gone.

I do still like pubs for chats and banter, but there are those times when I do feel you can't beat a club. For me, going to a bar from 8pm to 11pm or so, and then heading to a nightclub until 2:30am is a night well spent, and I always feel unless I do both I'm missing out.

I also like pub-clubs, like the Roost in Maynooth where I was last night:D.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts on nightclubs, and my alternate perception of them. Feel free to agree, disagree, discuss, whatever.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

karaokeman wrote: »
    The common criticism is "oh the music is too loud and you can't hear anyone". Personally, I have always seen nightclubs as that place to go after a pub. I would say, nightclubs are not necessarily for talking to your friends, but for dancing and having fun.

I never liked niteclubs as the point on going out with my friends was to chat to them. I don't like dancing and never found niteclubs fun until the smoking areas became popular. So in essence I used to treat them as a late bar.

Used to goto the Glenroyal more than the Roost but I was there in the pre renovated days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

If you don't like dancing there is no point in going to a nightclub.
    Thankfully I love to dance and I love the craic on a crowded dance floor.
    It's fun when you go with a few friends or a mixed group of girls and guys or even better on your own when you can be an outrageous dancing queen and all the strangers start copying your moves and girls seem to drift into your orbit.
    If you are a person who wants to have conversation in an nightclub you should go back to the pub or get your coat and go home.
    Too many guys in nightclubs are standing around with hunched shoulders with one hand hugging their pint to their chest and another hand buried in their pocket and gawking around with a long face.
    They went to the trouble of a shower and shave, getting a nice shirt and waxing up their hair but then come across as a lost puppy.
    These sad characters are seen later staggering around drunk with kebab sauce and vomit running down their fronts or sitting on a doorstep weeping.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If you don't like dancing there is no point in going to a nightclub.
    Thankfully I love to dance and I love the craic on a crowded dance floor.
    It's fun when you go with a few friends or a mixed group of girls and guys or even better on your own when you can be an outrageous dancing queen and all the strangers start copying your moves and girls seem to drift into your orbit.
    If you are a person who wants to have conversation in an nightclub you should go back to the pub or get your coat and go home.
    Too many guys in nightclubs are standing around with hunched shoulders with one hand hugging their pint to their chest and another hand buried in their pocket and gawking around with a long face.
    They went to the trouble of a shower and shave, getting a nice shirt and waxing up their hair but then come across as a lost puppy.

Who made you the voice of who should and shouldn't go to nightclubs, or what you should do there?

Who made you the voice of who should and shouldn't go to nightclubs, or what you should do there?

Chillax! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

going to a bar from 8pm to 11pm or so, and then heading to a nightclub until 2:30am is a night well spent.

I got tired reading that sentence.

Some people enjoy clubs, some dont. I am old now, but Ive hated nightclubs since I was 18.
    I just didnt have fun in any club, I would stand in a packed place that smelled worse than a toilet drinking a horrible drink that I paid 6big ones for, trying to get the bottle to dance, and then I would make a fool of myself because I cant dance. I used to get abused for my dance moves. But I only danced as I thought that was the only way to get a kiss off someone. But as I grew older I realised talking and interacting, made meeting people easier than rubbing my horrible bum off them.
    I dont think people miss the point of night clubs. Some people just dont enjoy them. And some do of course. But as I said, Im old so I can moan about them, sure isnt that what we old people do. I loving moaning!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Can I enquire as to your age, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

strangers start copying your moves and girls seem to drift into your orbit.

O my golly gosh. "Your orbit".
    Im going to bed, Ive had enough, goodnight guys.
    Chillax! :)

Chillax??? Cringe. Im way too old for this sh1te

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 120 ✭✭Chefrio

The best part of nightclubs is there are so many women to chat up, it's great, it feels like an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Used to goto the Glenroyal more than the Roost but I was there in the pre renovated days:D
    Remember the LA? :pac:
    I also like pub-clubs, like the Roost in Maynooth where I was last night:D.
    I'm assuming you never had the joy of going to the Hitcher in Leixlip?

Rockafellas (where Darkies is now), or the Ozone (which is now closed) in Leixlip, and also the Hitcher (where Lidl is now) were grand back in the day. Back then, the music was on, but you could talk to people. Also they actually had dance music, and not just sh|te chart music that the DJ likes :P Played so loud that you could not talk to anyone. Bleh. T'would dance for a few hours straight to the music, but then the music died :'(

Nightclubs were meat markets (and probably still are?). You got fuelled up on drink, and let loose on the female population. And pity the women only there for a dance as they'd get "hit on" by every male at least once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

the_syco wrote: »

Rockafellas (where Darkies is now), or the Ozone (which is now closed) in Leixlip, and also the Hitcher (where Lidl is now) were grand back in the day.

The LA was grand for a long time but then it started to be an underage spot. We used to go to Rockafellas or the Vortex before the Glenroyal was built. Rockafellas was grand as you could still chat and be heard. The sticky carpet always worried me a little though.
    They were some good days:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

For those inquiring about my age, I am 22.

I only started going to nightclubs regularly at 20 when I started college in NUIM, and I haven't been to Rockafellas, or the Ozone/Zinc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

oh please :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Chefrio wrote: »
    The best part of nightclubs is there are so many women to chat up, it's great, it feels like an adventure.

Me: HI!!!
    Girl:WHAT?!?

Yeah, great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think nightclubs in Ireland miss the point of nightclubs, with their early closing times.

There's one nightclub in my town that I still don't mind going to but I think I'm reaching the age where I'd rather prefer just a few pints down the local. The one thing I do love about them though is the women.

Rockafellas (where Darkies is now), or the Ozone (which is now closed) in Leixlip, and also the Hitcher (where Lidl is now) were grand back in the day. Back then, the music was on, but you could talk to people. Also they actually had dance music, and not just sh|te chart music that the DJ likes :P Played so loud that you could not talk to anyone. Bleh. T'would dance for a few hours straight to the music, but then the music died :'(

Nightclubs were meat markets (and probably still are?). You got fuelled up on drink, and let loose on the female population. And pity the women only there for a dance as they'd get "hit on" by every male at least once.

If women really were only there to dance they could do that at home. There is obviously a payoff for women to go to nightclubs apart from dancing.

syklops wrote: »
    Me: HI!!!
    Girl:WHAT?!?

Yeah, great fun.

There's usually less noisy parts of nightclubs where you can talk, and not just smoking areas.

In short, you're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If women really were only there to dance they could do that at home. There is obviously a payoff for women to go to nightclubs apart from dancing.

Yeah, nothing like sticking your phone on loudspeaker and having a bop around the back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Nice, empathetic language.

I have never in my life enjoyed clubs or loud pubs. Most people do just go through a process of just getting it out of their system. You repeat the same "fun" filled night over and over until you can't take it any more. There is a certain sanctimoniousness that comes from people who are into the club scene with a lack of tolerance for people who don't get it.

You are right- some people are there to have fun. More are there because they've been dragged their by their mates who are on the lash and/ or are there to pull. There are more who see it as a chance to get their leg over. There are more again who are there because they seek love.Then there are the ones who simply have nothing better to do and are wondering why they bothered coming out expecting it to be different to all the other nights.

We don't have an evening café culture. In Cork, we have one dingey late night café although there are some decent late bars.

I see clubs as zombie cattle mart!! Where the uniform, suckle on alcohol and try to get your leg over with other people determined to show the world what "great craic" they are. This is my perspective. I could live to be 1,000 years old and I will literally never see the attraction.

There's usually less noisy parts of nightclubs where you can talk, and not just smoking areas.

Not been inside a nightclub in about 6 years so in truth Im not doing it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

@ Silverscreen : Agreed, the women is definitely an upside to nightclubs.

@ Cantdecide : I never saw people who go to nightclubs think they are better in any way than people who don't enjoy them.

I think it would be more the case with young teenagers who think its "cool" to go (in their case teenage discos, maybe for some who get fake ID's, nightclubs could apply too) and don't associate with their peers who have no interest.

After the age of 20, I don't think people really give a damn where your preferences lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The night clubs are doing it wrong, in this country anyway.

Besides, late bars is where it's at but they don't exist here because of government laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Too old for clubs now but haven't been to one for years anyway.

Only reason I went to them when I was younger was to get the shift.

The night clubs are doing it wrong, in this country anyway.

Besides, late bars is where it's at but they don't exist here because of government laws.

The Czech Inn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Actually I reckon there is a very, very large percentage of women who go to nightclubs with no intention of 'pulling, at all. They literally go for the 'laugh' and to dance. I remember Johnny Vegas's wife, what's her name-Maia something, did a show a few months back where she actually had an episode that dealt with this. She headed out with 5 women in their twenties who dressed up all for 'each other', not for men and only went out to dance, no intention of pulling. Even Maia (Dunphy, that's the name...) thought it was very odd so I don't know is this a recent thing. Maybe the older posters can throw a bit of light on it.

Actually I reckon there is a very, very large percentage of women who go to nightclubs with no intention of 'pulling, at all. They literally go for the 'laugh' and to dance. I remember Johnny Vegas's wife, what's her name-Maia something, did a show a few months back where she actually had an episode that dealt with this. She headed out with 5 women in their twenties who dressed up all for 'each other', not for men and only went out to dance, no intention of pulling. Even Maia (Dunphy, that's the name...) thought it was very odd so I don't know is this a recent thing. Maybe the older posters can throw a bit of light on it.

That "girls night out" malarkey is just a ploy to keep the lone rangers, sad sacks and other socially inept saps at bay. If a group of single young women meet a group of single young men chances are they will pair up. The nerdy-virgin-who-still-collects-action-hero-figurines-guy is brought along to hook up with the desperate-fat-but-sweet-inside-chick in the group to keep her away while the sensible beer-belly-is-starting-show-guy picks up the moderately attractive chick so that the Alpha guy and the Alpha chick can get together. Once everyone on either side of the sex war knows their level and which groove they slot into everyone is happy. :D There is always somebody for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Was that the hitchin post? Only went to rockefellas a few times it was awful. I used to drink in the wooden part of the roost mostly. Getting hit on is fine, so long as the guy knows how to take no for an answer. It's the unwanted groping/grinding that put me off niteclubs.

That "girls night out" malarkey is just a ploy to keep the lone rangers, sad sacks and other socially inept saps at bay. If a group of single young women meet a group of single young men chances are they will pair up. The nerdy-virgin-who-still-collects-action-hero-figurines-guy is brought along to hook up with the desperate-fat-but-sweet-inside-chick in the group to keep her away while the sensible beer-belly-is-starting-show-guy picks up the moderately attractive chick so that the Alpha guy and the Alpha chick can get together. Once everyone on either side of the sex war knows their level and which groove they slot into everyone is happy. :D There is always somebody for everybody.

Oh good god.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't bother with the clubs playing commercial pop hits as I've been there done that too many times for it to be fun anymore.

I like electronic music. These days I'll go to a club specifically to hear a DJ who I like. These nights are all about the music and if you meet some new people in the process, all the better.

I think nightclubs in Ireland miss the point of nightclubs, with their early closing times.

Important point. Stupid closing times means people getting as much in to them before the cut off and just ends up in a lot of messy people milling about. Much prefer the continental approach of clubbing in to the next morning if you see fit.

Aidric wrote: »
    Important point. Stupid closing times means people getting as much in to them before the cut off and just ends up in a lot of messy people milling about. Much prefer the continental approach of clubbing in to the next morning if you see fit.

I much prefer the continental approach to pub going. If you're having a good night, then it keeps going. No 11.30 cut off point. No lad going for the last round and buying you 2 pints and a chaser when all you wanted was a pint.

With 24 hour licensing, there is always some where else to go. Sure, you end up in some dingy bar at 6am, but you remain in control. There is no rush to get the drinks in. No urgency. No feeling that the next round has to last you for the night.

I miss that.

• Advertisement

Mod note: Balaclava1991 this post is below the standard we would expect in TGC. Please read the charter before posting here again.

Advertisement