Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goals for 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

jake1970 wrote: »
    run my first marathon, sub 3:40
    sub 1:35 half, currently 1:40:55
    sub 40 10k, currently 42:18
    sub 19 5k, currently 19:57

1:34:49 in the Bohermeen half marathon yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    5K - Sub 17 (currently 17:03)
    10K - Sub 35 (currently 35:43)
    10 Mile - Sub 60 (1st time)
    Half - Sub 80 (currently) 83:15
    Marathon - Sub 3 (currently 3.29)
    Do a lot more prehab, core etc., A LOT MORE!
    Drink more water

Doing Derry Marathon in June, my second after Belfast 2012, my main aim for the year is to run Sub 3, hopefully the 10/half will be looked after during training. Will probably only race 1 or 2 10K's this year so not too fussed about 10K time. My problem is 5K, have a race against time to get under 17 before I get into the thick of marathon training.

59:44 in Bundoran 10 mile on Saturday. Well pleased with it and a good indicator for the months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

jake1970 wrote: »
    1:34:49 in the Bohermeen half marathon yesterday :)

Looking very good for that sub 3:40 in the marathon based on that half :)

59:44 in Bundoran 10 mile on Saturday. Well pleased with it and a good indicator for the months ahead.

Good stuff. I see you had to go to Donegal. I'm lining up the Clonakilty 10 Miler on April 21st for my PB attempt. Can't find a 10 mile race any closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good stuff. I see you had to go to Donegal. I'm lining up the Clonakilty 10 Miler on April 21st for my PB attempt. Can't find a 10 mile race any closer!

Craughwell 10 miler at end of march?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Craughwell 10 miler at end of march?

I'm golfing that day :eek:

I'm golfing that day :eek:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Looking very good for that sub 3:40 in the marathon based on that half :)

i hope your right.
    the marathon target is a bit on the soft side but its my first marathon and i would be very happy with that time.

Handy enough for me as I'm from Tyrone. Not a lot of 10 mile races up round here either. Another go at breaking 17 at 5K for me up next in 2 weeks and then Omagh Half Marathon at end of this month. Scary how quick the year is flying by!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Don Beezie

1. Don't get injured
    2. Sub 40 10k
    3. Sub 1:30 HM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

tang1 wrote: »
    To get back running near where i was prior to injury last May. Started back properly last week, long long way to go!!

I'm in a similar situation, its very frustrating but just trying to take it one week at a time. best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Got knocked off my bike by a car last October and have just started back doing sessions in the last couple of weeks,planning on doing Dublin Marathon and going for 2 hr 37mins:)

5k - Sub 19
    5m - Sub 33
    10k - Sub 40
    10m - Sub 70
    Half - Sub 1:30
    Marathon - Sub 3:10

Should keep me busy :-)
    39:07 in the Enniscorthy 10k last Sunday.
    Sub 3:10 Marathon attempt is up next on Sunday week.
    3:08:26 in Seville yesterday.
    Two down. Four to go!

18:19 in the Marlay parkrun today.
    Halfway there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Feck me,that's a great start to the year for you.

Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Early days with about 6 small runs since a pulled tendon last dec, 5K in 21.55. Things can only get better hopefully.

5k - Sub 19
    5m - Sub 33
    10k - Sub 40
    10m - Sub 70
    Half - Sub 1:30
    Marathon - Sub 3:10

Should keep me busy :-)
    39:07 in the Enniscorthy 10k last Sunday.
    Sub 3:10 Marathon attempt is up next on Sunday week.
    3:08:26 in Seville yesterday.
    Two down. Four to go!
    18:19 in the Marlay parkrun today.
    Halfway there!

1:25:25 in the Larne Half-Marathon this morning.
    4/6 complete.
    Just the 5 & 10 milers to do and they're both coming up in the next 6 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

1:25:25 in the Larne Half-Marathon this morning.
    4/6 complete.
    Just the 5 & 10 milers to do and they're both coming up in the next 6 weeks :)

Feckin over achievers! Only joking well done, your flying at the moment;)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

10k- sub 45 but will settle for sub 47.

sub 2hr half marathon in may.Would love a sub 1.50

sub 4hr full marathon in dublin.would be happy to complete it all the same.

Havent raced beyond 10k so its going to be an interesting year.Current 10k pb is 49.20
    First goal of 2014 completed Sub 45 10k
    23th March
    Knockmore 5k 10k
    ;);););)

23th March
    Knockmore 5k 10k
    ;);););)

Sub 1:50 half-marathon will be a piece of cake going by that time.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I set a very nebulous goal at the start of this thread of not getting injured. I've had 3 good months so far, so I'll take that, it's probably the longest consistent period of running I've had in almost 2 years. I ran a 10k just over a week ago, was 8 minutes slower than my PB but more importantly wasn't in agony afterwards like I was after the Women's Mini-Marathon last June, so I'll take that as progress. :)

I have two main goal races that I've entered this year - London Triathlon Olympic distance the first weekend in August and the Great North Run on 7 September. I'll pick out a few more along the way, but I am loosely planning on doing a sprint tri in mid-June at Eton Dorney (flat as a pancake) too. I'll be doing the Great London Swim and possibly another open water swim at some point too.

I don't really have time goals for the tris, just to finish and have fun. I'm an absolutely terrible cyclist and I've been a bit weather-shy over the winter. Longest spin this spring has only been 25km.

I definitely want to beat my 2012 GNR time (2:15 and change) as I spent a decent chunk of time in the physio tent along the way! I will not get anywhere near my PB (1:50). Sub 2 sounds about right tbh.

• Advertisement

I set a very nebulous goal at the start of this thread of not getting injured. I've had 3 good months so far, so I'll take that, it's probably the longest consistent period of running I've had in almost 2 years. I ran a 10k just over a week ago, was 8 minutes slower than my PB but more importantly wasn't in agony afterwards like I was after the Women's Mini-Marathon last June, so I'll take that as progress. :)

I have two main goal races that I've entered this year - London Triathlon Olympic distance the first weekend in August and the Great North Run on 7 September. I'll pick out a few more along the way, but I am loosely planning on doing a sprint tri in mid-June at Eton Dorney (flat as a pancake) too. I'll be doing the Great London Swim and possibly another open water swim at some point too.

I don't really have time goals for the tris, just to finish and have fun. I'm an absolutely terrible cyclist and I've been a bit weather-shy over the winter. Longest spin this spring has only been 25km.

I definitely want to beat my 2012 GNR time (2:15 and change) as I spent a decent chunk of time in the physio tent along the way! I will not get anywhere near my PB (1:50). Sub 2 sounds about right tbh.

How is Brian getting on with his running? Haven't seen or heard from him in a long time. Is he still sidelined?

23th March
    Knockmore 5k 10k
    ;);););)

Me thinks those other targets are looking a bit soft John:p

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Always good to give myself targets...

65.xx 10mile (71 min pb at mo)

1.25.xx HalfM ( Sub 1.30 at mo, just !)

3.05.xx Dublin M ( 3.15 at mo )

Now thats really gonna put me under pressure...eek !

First target acheived to my complete amazement really ! 65.38 in Mallow.
    New training plan kicking in next week for the Cork City Half M. Its a big boost in fairness to see the benefits of my training. Onwards & upwards !!

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    First target acheived to my complete amazement really ! 65.38 in Mallow.
    New training plan kicking in next week for the Cork City Half M. Its a big boost in fairness to see the benefits of my training. Onwards & upwards !!
    Great stuff, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Want to start getting a bit more serious about my running this year. Have done a good few 10k races over the years letting my fitness levels go up and down but never sticking with it long term to achieve any goals so making this year the one I actually do it.

Goal 1: Sub 60 minutes 10k (hoping to get this in the womans mini marathon in June - my PB is 61 mins but the last 10k I ran i was at 76mins)

Goal 2: Complete my first half marathon (looking at the Galway Bay half in October for this)

Goal 3: Run 2-4 times a week every week for the year. (aiming for 4 runs most weeks but taking into account that I may not be perfect, I want a minimum of 2 runs each week)

I am a bit daunted by the concept of a half marathon, my longest run is 10k but I am determined!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Update on my goals.
    Run 1,000+ miles in 2014 (727 miles in 2013)
    333 miles completed so well on target.
    Sub 1:42 HM (PB 1:44:37 - Aug 2013)
    Revising this goal to a Sub 1:40 HM on the back of training progress. 4 weeks to my planned HM in Wexford.
    Sub 47m 10k (PB 49:25 - Apr 2013)
    Ran a 44:24 10km this morning :D Wasn't an official race mind you. Will think about a new target post HM and will probably target DLR Bay 10km on August bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

echancrure wrote: »
    My Goals:

Staying injury free
    Enjoying my training
    Running my first Marathon (still looking after Kildare cancellation: Connemarathon?)
    Running a Marathon under 3 hours 20 (in Belfast, in Waterford, in Dublin?)
    Running a half-marathon under 1 hour 30 (currently 1:38)
    Running a 10k under 40 minutes (currently 42'25'')
    Running a 5k under 19 minutes (currently 19'17'')
    Running for pleasure everyday, early in the morning, for two weeks in Spain in the summer holidays
    Meeting other runners and sharing experience more

All the best to all!!

5k and 10k goals achieved, injury free, enjoying training, and posting more

10k in 38'10'' in St Laurence O'Toole Paddy's weekend
    5k in 17'59'' in IT Carlow fun run

Roll on Connemarathon !

5K - Sub 17 (currently 17:03)
    10K - Sub 35 (currently 35:43)
    10 Mile - Sub 60 (1st time) DONE 59:44
    Half - Sub 80 (currently) 83:15 DONE 79.44
    Marathon - Sub 3 (currently 3.29)
    Do a lot more prehab, core etc., A LOT MORE!
    Drink more water

Another one ticked of for me, 79.44 in Omagh Half on Saturday. Thought this was going to be my toughest goal to achieve this year so delighted to do it so soon. Enjoying the marathon training and seems to be agreeing with my body thankfully! 9 weeks to Derry and feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Another one ticked of for me, 79.44 in Omagh Half on Saturday. Thought this was going to be my toughest goal to achieve this year so delighted to do it so soon. Enjoying the marathon training and seems to be agreeing with my body thankfully! 9 weeks to Derry and feeling good.

With a sub-80 half you are completely underselling yourself with a sub-3 marathon goal!

Smashing result, btw.

• Advertisement

With a sub-80 half you are completely underselling yourself with a sub-3 marathon goal!

Smashing result, btw.

Agreed

Advertisement