Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goals for 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

shane1981 wrote: »
    Same goals as me! Im nowhere near 3:10 marathon though, best is 03:29. Any particular training plan in mind?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073669

I'm following the great plan posted weekly in there by Blockic. Gradually building mileage and adding some faster work. Judging by the sessions I've been putting in lately it seems to be working well for me.

Whatever plan you follow, as long as you're consistent, not pushing too hard too fast and getting 95% of your scheduled runs in, it's only a matter of time before you hit your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Goals for this year...

5. Complete 60m hurdles race this Saturday - this goes back a long way for me, fell at the first underage & never went back, so just want to get to the finish line in one piece on Sat morning.

Well?

I presume this was at AIT on Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

dna_leri wrote: »
    Well?

I presume this was at AIT on Saturday...

Removing it from my list of goals - took one look at the height of them & decided it was best to not leave the arena on a stretcher headed for the x-ray dept of whatever the nearest hospital is to AIT.
    Instead, I ended up with two pulled hamstrings from the 60m flat & unable to compete in the 200m.
    On top of Connacht's dismal display in the Heineken Cup, it was a day to forget.

New updated list of goals for this year...

1. Cement my 19.59 5k with at least 3 sub-20 runs.
    2. Ideally a sub-40 10k, but I'll be happy with a 40:xx.
    3. 1:31.xx half - would like to go sub 1:30, but haven't the work in for this spring, maybe in the autumn.
    4. Stay injury free - once I recover from current one.
    5. Never consider a senior hurdles race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

5K - Sub 17 (currently 17:03)
    10K - Sub 35 (currently 35:43)
    10 Mile - Sub 60 (1st time)
    Half - Sub 80 (currently) 83:15
    Marathon - Sub 3 (currently 3.29)
    Do a lot more prehab, core etc., A LOT MORE!
    Drink more water

Doing Derry Marathon in June, my second after Belfast 2012, my main aim for the year is to run Sub 3, hopefully the 10/half will be looked after during training. Will probably only race 1 or 2 10K's this year so not too fussed about 10K time. My problem is 5K, have a race against time to get under 17 before I get into the thick of marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What is Derry course like? PB friendly?? More agreeable than Cork the day after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BeepBeep! wrote: »

Your marathon goal time is so far out from all the others (even with a goal of a massive 30 minute PB) you should be able to do that while hopping on one leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

shane1981 wrote: »
    Same goals as me! Im nowhere near 3:10 marathon though, best is 03:29. Any particular training plan in mind?

My current PB is 3:34 and I'm targeting sub 3:10 in Seville. I've been following the P&D Up to 55 mile plan and seem to be on target at the moment:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073987

Your marathon goal time is so far out from all the others (even with a goal of a massive 30 minute PB) you should be able to do that while hopping on one leg!

Yeah Belfast Marathon was my first ever race, joined a club after and that would explain the other times being out of sync. Sub 3, hopping on one leg? haha! I wish! Gonna leave nothing to chance.
    Watched Derry last year and looked a great marathon. The city really get behind it and you pass all the iconic parts of the city. There is 2 steady climbs and a really humdinger at 25 mile but apart from that it is pancake flat. lol Its only 20 minutes from my home, so I can train on the course, sleep in my own bed night before etc. so should suit me for a Sub 3 attempt. Here is Derry map/elevation. Think its almost full by the way! http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=8792F691-CE78-48CF-A7D8C0DCFC952233

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

5K - Sub 23 (currently 25.53)
    10K - Sub 49 (currently 56.35)

Dont have the desire for longer races this year focusing on 10K down

Removing it from my list of goals - took one look at the height of them & decided it was best to not leave the arena on a stretcher headed for the x-ray dept of whatever the nearest hospital is to AIT.
    Instead, I ended up with two pulled hamstrings from the 60m flat & unable to compete in the 200m.
    On top of Connacht's dismal display in the Heineken Cup, it was a day to forget.

Ouch, fair play for giving the 60m a go, hope the hamstring pull is not too serious. I did a 110m hurdles once in a league race - never again, I'd have a better chance going under them. Maybe go along to your local sports day or community games and do the U12 60m hurdles before the kids, just to lay that bogey to rest! And as for Connacht, I'm glad I'm not a rugby supporter, would not admit it if I were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

When ticking these goals off do people always only count them as achieved in an actual race....... or say if I did a race pace 5km workout on my own (timed by GPS watch), and achieved my goal, could this be counted! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

When ticking these goals off do people always only count them as achieved in an actual race....... or say if I did a race pace 5km workout on my own (timed by GPS watch), and achieved my goal, could this be counted! ?

They are your goals so you get to decide what counts!

Your goals are your goals - you decide how and where you can achieve them. None of us are looking for Olympic qualifying times so we don't need to worry about precise accuracy.

However most people will run faster in a race setting so if you achieve say a 20 min 5K in a time-trial you could go 30s faster in the right race. After a while your goals will (should) get harder to reach and you will need the adrenaline buzz and pacing of a race to make them. To be honest if you can achieve your goal in a solo workout, the goal is probably too easy. Setting tougher goals will encourage you to push yourself harder and look for the longer term improvement rather than short term easy gains. But as I started off saying, they are your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

dna_leri wrote: »
    Your goals are your goals - you decide how and where you can achieve them. None of us are looking for Olympic qualifying times so we don't need to worry about precise accuracy.

However most people will run faster in a race setting so if you achieve say a 20 min 5K in a time-trial you could go 30s faster in the right race. After a while your goals will (should) get harder to reach and you will need the adrenaline buzz and pacing of a race to make them. To be honest if you can achieve your goal in a solo workout, the goal is probably too easy. Setting tougher goals will encourage you to push yourself harder and look for the longer term improvement rather than short term easy gains. But as I started off saying, they are your goals.

Point taken. My initial goal is to break the 20min barrier for 5km. I am only 8 seconds off and am pretty sure I can do it now, but don't have time (due to other commitments) to get a parkrun in in the next few weeks. I just want to get it under my belt as a threshold so to speak, and then reset, maybe try faster, but main goal will be to do a half marathon at some stage this year, in about 95mins.

Hence I am just thinking of trying the 5km sometime next week, so I can say to myself that I have done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Sub 45m for 10k, did 45.02 last one so should be achievable!

Sub 70m for 10m, bit harder this one, did 78m for Ballycotton last year but have a lot more miles under my belt so hopefully that will help and the training i am doing.

sub 4hr for Cork Marathon, hopefully can do, did the cork to cobh 15m in 2hr 01min, will aim a bit higher but all depends on how i get on in training really.

so did 44m for 10k during the dungarvan 10m yesterday. that is one down!
    did 71 for the 10m itself, had to slow way down just after mile mark began feeling a bit odd due to the hail and wind and took it easy for about a quarter of a mile to make sure all was right, never caught up with the 70m pacers again. Still 71, happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Murtinho wrote: »
    1) To run at least 1000km, hopefully 1200km, got 916km this year but didnt run in January due to a calf strain.

2) To run at least 3times/ week. I normally manage it during school terms but when the kids are on holidays i struggle.

3) To get a 10km under 1 hr, had been doing well on the 5k-10k plan but the recent school holidays and festivities put an end to it.

well all on track,

ran 104km in jan, am managing 3/week and i ran my first 10k this morning and made it in 59"19'. Wasnt even planning to do it, was just a lovely morning on Curracloe beach and forest, ran the 5 and felt good and just kept going!:eek:

yaboya1 wrote: »
    5k - Sub 19
    5m - Sub 33
    10k - Sub 40
    10m - Sub 70
    Half - Sub 1:30
    Marathon - Sub 3:10

Should keep me busy :-)

39:07 in the Enniscorthy 10k last Sunday.
    Sub 3:10 Marathon attempt is up next on Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done, good confidence boast heading into your marathon. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Great job on the 10k! My goals for the year would be the same as yours. I've got the half and the 10m times from other years but the others are still not there yet. I've not run any races yet as I'm trying to get up to speed after a long time out injured. Where's the marathon? Must be hard doing a programme in this weather!

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Great job on the 10k! My goals for the year would be the same as yours. I've got the half and the 10m times from other years but the others are still not there yet. I've not run any races yet as I'm trying to get up to speed after a long time out injured. Where's the marathon? Must be hard doing a programme in this weather!

Thanks. The marathon is in Seville. The training has been trying alright. Definitely easier to train for an Autumn Marathon.

• Advertisement

Thanks. The marathon is in Seville. The training has been trying alright. Definitely easier to train for an Autumn Marathon.

Nice location for a marathon though!

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Nice location for a marathon though!

Yeah. Hopefully not too nice though. Don't fancy another marathon in 20+ degrees :p

5k - Sub 19
    5m - Sub 33
    10k - Sub 40
    10m - Sub 70
    Half - Sub 1:30
    Marathon - Sub 3:10

Should keep me busy :-)

3:08:26 in Seville yesterday.
    Two down. Four to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dj08

Well done mate, been following your training blog for the Seville. Im in the middle of ramping up for Belfast on 5th May.

Great stuff!! Mad jealous!:D Well inside the target. Must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    My only real goal for the year is to finish Comrades in and around my target time from last year namely ~8:15. Weather on the day will play a big part as I found to my cost!

Apart from that I'd like to go under 4h at the Doneda 50k in Feb and perhaps knock a few mins for the Conn ultra in April.

Bit wishy washy I know :)

Number one done anyway, hopefully will lead onto #2 & #3.

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    Do a lot more prehab, core etc., A LOT MORE!
    Drink more water

Ran another 17:03 5K last week, frustrating but happy considering it came on the back of a 15.5 mile long run the day before, a big mileage week and a tough hilly course. A few more 5k's coming up soon so hopefully I'll nip under it. My one attempt at a 10 miler coming up this weekend, going to be close to sub 60 if all goes to plan but weather etc. can hamper that, think I'll afford myself the luxury of a mini taper this week. Core work and drinking water have improved a lot so pleased with that. Marathon training going well so far, getting all my longer runs on the course which is a big bonus but don't want to get too accustomed to it.

3:08:26 in Seville yesterday.
    Two down. Four to go!

Well done yaboya1...great start to the year for you!

Running first ultra in March. The Wicklow Way.

After that, general aim would be to run a few other long distance off road, and lower IMRA times set last year, Carrauntoohil, Lug, Galtys etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

To get back running near where i was prior to injury last May. Started back properly last week, long long way to go!!

Advertisement