Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Persona 4 golden....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^I still have the save file on the normal difficulty playthrough so I might attempt it again, have been getting a lot more Persona cards so messing around with them more on this attempt and fusing more. That boss is an absolute pain in the hole tbh. I was using Bufu against it and get two hits, then it buffs its ice resistance and hits me with twin fangs, boom, instant death.

The most frustrating part of the game to that point is floor 5 of the dungeon, where you get to a door and warp back to somewhere else, it doesn't even hint that you need to kill all the enemies first and half the time there's nothing around so you just run in circles until one appears and you can open the door to the mini boss after you kill it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're a complete wuss :) SMT games always have a baptism of fire boss at the start of the game, if you can't beat it it's not because you need to grind (you never do in these games) it's that you don't understand the system. Often the reason you aren't winning is because you don't have suitable persona's equipped.

In the case of that fight it's much simpler. The reason you die a lot is that Chie is weak to ice and if she gets hit with it the boss gets another go which is enough to wipe out your party. If you were paying attention there's a very simple way around this. Make Chie defend as much as possible. If Chie defends not only does she take less damage but the boss can't exploit her weakness making the boss more manageable. At about the halfway point of the battle the boss will constantly use that fire skill that targets all your character. Just have Chie defend constantly, don't even chance not having her guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

krudler wrote: »
    ^I still have the save file on the normal difficulty playthrough so I might attempt it again, have been getting a lot more Persona cards so messing around with them more on this attempt and fusing more. That boss is an absolute pain in the hole tbh. I was using Bufu against it and get two hits, then it buffs its ice resistance and hits me with twin fangs, boom, instant death.

I know how you feel. Its all to do with your own level as well as your Persona's abilities and affinities. If your at a level that is equal or greater, then obviously you'll have more of a chance than if you were under-levelled. I was struggling on new game plus because I couldn't remember what level I was the first time I faced her and was demolished with Burn to Ashes.

Even worse was the fact I'd run into just 1 gold shadow in the entire dungeon so levelling up was a tad tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yukiko Boss is not hard, but its optional Boss is ASS! I had pleasure of bitching about it already in this thread! :pac: I would suggest sticking with it and trying to beat it on normal. Then go kill optional one.

After I killed that Boss I had no trouble so far and I one shoted next boss too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're a complete wuss :) SMT games always have a baptism of fire boss at the start of the game, if you can't beat it it's not because you need to grind (you never do in these games) it's that you don't understand the system. Often the reason you aren't winning is because you don't have suitable persona's equipped.

That isn't entirely true.. on hard you absolutely have to grind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tok9 wrote: »
    That isn't entirely true.. on hard you absolutely have to grind.

Well if you play on hard you are kind of asking for it. Shin Megami Tensei isn't known for being forgiving on it's default settings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Loved this game when i picked it up but got to
    what i think was the last boss (mailman guy?)
    and couldn't get past him without a weeks worth of grind (5-6 hours)

Voice acting is superb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well if you play on hard you are kind of asking for it. Shin Megami Tensei isn't known for being forgiving on it's default settings!

I made a huge mistake :(

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Loved this game when i picked it up but got to
    what i think was the last boss (mailman guy?)
    and couldn't get past him without a weeks worth of grind (5-6 hours)

Voice acting is superb though.

At that stage, you should have a few Ma- type spells that can be cast on your party. Matarukaja helps boost your attacks.
    If you start the fight with a Rakunda/Marakunda to reduce his defence, then boost your attacks you should have no problems. Even then, he could cast Dekaja to debuff your party, but doing so wastes his attack and gives you another opportunity to inflict damage.

Yeah Shin Megami Tensei is all about stat buffs and debuffs. Unlike other simpler series where they are uselss they are integral to SMT. If you concentrate using these you will do a lot better. In the end game you can get Trumpeter with Debilitate which is the best move in the game, it reduces all enemy stats!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You think this is hard, try Bravely Default! On normal settings I actually got quite a shock at how intense and challenging it gets so quickly, and I'd consider myself generally comfortable and familiar with turn based combat. The first dungeon alone has standard enemies that can easily cripple your party, even when you're taking great care. Persona 4 I never had any major difficulty issues with, although I had jumped straight in from the third. Would never play on hard, mind you :pac:

There's hard difficulty, and then there's Atlus hard difficulty. Which should probably be called extreme in Europe and the US :p

Follow up a Debilitate from Trumpeter with a mind charged Megadolaon and a power charged God's Hand and you're set. I think the former did about 9000-ish damage.

I've to wait for the US release in February :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

How do you know which skills you can carry over when you fuse? I have two or three personas that have mass element attacks for clearing lower enemies and want to fuse them to level up but Ill lose some of the skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A degree of grinding was certainly required in both Persona 4 and particularly in Persona 3 when I played both extensively.

The tower in three was depressing.

I could have done with fewer random battles/grinding.

Stopped playeidng 3 (I played 4 first) when I got to a certain stage where a major plot point about your charcter is revealed and a countdown starts.

EDIT: I finished Heavy Rain over Xmas, it really, REALLY reminded me of Persona 4.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    How do you know which skills you can carry over when you fuse? I have two or three personas that have mass element attacks for clearing lower enemies and want to fuse them to level up but Ill lose some of the skills.

When you've selected the 2/3 Personas you're fusing, select ok and it'll bring you to the skill select screen. If you don't like the skills it gives your new Persona, then cancel and try a different combination of Persona.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    When you've selected the 2/3 Personas you're fusing, select ok and it'll bring you to the skill select screen. If you don't like the skills it gives your new Persona, then cancel and try a different combination of Persona.

Nope, actually the fusion system is kind of stupid. When you select the persona's to fuse it will show you the skills they will inherit. If you don't like the skills just cancel out of that and attempt the fusion again until you get the right combination of skills. It's a pain in the ass and I never really used it myself except for the fusion side quests but that's the way to do it. Some skills can't be inherited but they are usualy special skills unique to the persona like Alice's Die for Me.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 thankfully streamlined this and lets you choose which skills to inherit, it makes it a lot easier and less time consuming.

Nope, actually the fusion system is kind of stupid. When you select the persona's to fuse it will show you the skills they will inherit. If you don't like the skills just cancel out of that and attempt the fusion again until you get the right combination of skills. It's a pain in the ass and I never really used it myself except for the fusion side quests but that's the way to do it. Some skills can't be inherited but they are usualy special skills unique to the persona like Alice's Die for Me.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 thankfully streamlined this and lets you choose which skills to inherit, it makes it a lot easier and less time consuming.

I just always went straight through to the screen where it gives you the list of skills that can be passed on.

It's still miles better than P3 where it gave you a random skill.

I was hoping there was a pattern where you could choose/manipulate the skills from the pool of skills that you can choose from. When you have multiple skills you want to keep you seem to lose some.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I just always went straight through to the screen where it gives you the list of skills that can be passed on.

It's still miles better than P3 where it gave you a random skill.

Pretty sure it's the same deal in P3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I got this and played it for good while but then I got preoccupied by something else, I want to go back and start it again because Im pretty sure I will be lost if I continue from where I was at, but I just remember the start of it dragging out sooooo long :(

Gandalph wrote: »
    I got this and played it for good while but then I got preoccupied by something else, I want to go back and start it again because Im pretty sure I will be lost if I continue from where I was at, but I just remember the start of it dragging out sooooo long :(

It should be easy to get straight back to. The magic attacks have dumb names though so I always have to recheck which is which.

Advertisement