Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Persona 4 golden....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going right off even starting this game.
    I have barely I understood a word for the last page or so of this thread. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

It's a great game. Just play it.

Also apologies for my first post. I was drunk or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Once you start playing you get the hang of the terminology, spells especially. After a while you'll be fusing Personas for an hour trying to get the perfect combination of abilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sure you'll be telling your dia from your mediarama in no time, and throwing out agis, garus and zios like there's no tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sure you'll be telling your dia from your mediarama in no time, and throwing out agis, garus and zios like there's no tomorrow!

Now I presume max abilities one persona can hold is 8? Can you switch them when you got all 8? I mean "rewrite them" with other abilities?

And just one more question. When you got Person saved and bonus boss taken out does that means it is just a damn Jrpg dating sim until
    New victim is thrown in to TV

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh no, another one of Retr0s damn dating sims?
    Are there Alpacas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Now I presume max abilities one persona can hold is 8? Can you switch them when you got all 8? I mean "rewrite them" with other abilities?

And just one more question. When you got Person saved and bonus boss taken out does that means it is just a damn Jrpg dating sim until

Typically you'll return to the TV world to take out any optional bosses. Other than that you'll be mainly grinding S.Links and getting academics up and stuff. Thing to look out for in S Links is when you get the message 'your relationship will deepen soon' or something like that. That means you'll level up with them soon, otherwise you could waste a day on an S.Link that could have been used for something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh no, another one of Retr0s damn dating sims?
    Are there Alpacas?

Don't let that put you off the game. It's really well woven into the overall structure of the game and the writing is excellent, people act like real people, there's no stupid pandering to filthy deviants. If you end up playing the game it will probably be the part you most enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Check out the giant bomb endurance run when you're done playing. It's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Oh actually that would be my one complaint. Not really a spoiler but I'll be safe -
    There is no consequence to having more than one girlfriend in the game.

Found that a bit odd considering how tight the rest of the sorry was.

• Advertisement

When your persona has levelled up so that it can't learn anything else, you should fuse it into a more powerful persona. When fusing, you get to decide what abilities you'd like to transfer across.

Its a lot more than a dating sim. When completing your social links, you get to see the depth of character development throughout the game. Towards the end of the game, its great to see how different the characters have become from when you first encountered them in the first few months. In between dungeons, you'll also get to do side-quests that inevitably lead you back into the dungeons you've been in to collect a certain item. And you can eat at the ramen restaurant Aiya, but its best to do so on a rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

So I started this yesterday, I am about 2/3 hours into it. I'm at the part after the first boss fight, Yosuke's Shadow, and I have just gone home after that.

While I am enjoying the game, ive been just reading the dialogue and not playing much. How much longer for the gameplay to actually begin!! Obviously being a JRPG I expected this, but i am looking forward to the Dungeons and other parts

thorbarry wrote: »
    So I started this yesterday, I am about 2/3 hours into it. I'm at the part after the first boss fight, Yosuke's Shadow, and I have just gone home after that.

While I am enjoying the game, ive been just reading the dialogue and not playing much. How much longer for the gameplay to actually begin!! Obviously being a JRPG I expected this, but i am looking forward to the Dungeons and other parts

I played a bit more. I did had a good session last night as well.
    The beginning is dreadful. All you do is just pure condensated Jrpg stuff. It took me 3 hours too for The game actually begin. Unfortunately after yosuke it will be same again until you get second victim. I almost gave up on the game while waiting for a rainy night.

I still like the game and it's combat mechanics, but my god it's goes to 11 with jrpg shiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

The beginning is dreadful. All you do is just pure condensated Jrpg stuff. It took me 3 hours too for The game actually begin. Unfortunately after yosuke it will be same again until you get second victim. I almost gave up on the game while waiting for a rainy night.

I still like the game and it's combat mechanics, but my god it's goes to 11 with jrpg shiet.

I will just stick in there then, I know once it gets started I will be addicted :)

thorbarry wrote: »
    I will just stick in there then, I know once it gets started I will be addicted :)

Do. I still find it a lot of fun, specially when you can finally work on the "case" ( and I am not talking just about inside the dungeon, the outside stuff related to actual story gets interesting ) . Unfortunately that jrpg stuff can drag like hell. In fairness, what should we expect, we playing as Asian teenagers who go inside of tv fighting monsters with a help of other monsters after school. It could not be more clishe jrpg even if you had super computer to make one lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was enjoying all that part more than the dungeon battles :o I find turn based battles really boring tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even as the fiercest Persona 4 apologist, the opening few hours are a bit rough. Ultimately it's kind of important since the setting, characters and premise are as pivotal to the game as any of the mechanics, but definitely the player could have been given something more to do than just press 'x' for an hour or two at the start. I could happily tolerate it since I was interested in all that stuff mentioned and was familiar with the pacing thanks to its predecessor, but I can easily see some players being put off right off the gate.

Bugger.
    Nothing turns me off a game more than 2 hours of no game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do. I still find it a lot of fun, specially when you can finally work on the "case" ( and I am not talking just about inside the dungeon, the outside stuff related to actual story gets interesting ) . Unfortunately that jrpg stuff can drag like hell. In fairness, what should we expect, we playing as Asian teenagers who go inside of tv fighting monsters with a help of other monsters after school. It could not be more clishe jrpg even if you had super computer to make one lol.

You really don't know JRPGs! All the combat is pure JRPG. Outside of that it's like a dating sim not a jrpg.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You really don't know JRPGs! All the combat is pure JRPG. Outside of that it's like a dating sim not a jrpg.

Combat is fun, but JRPG generally got all "this" stuff outside of combat too. You cant really have one without another. Call it like you want: dating sim, Japanese culture, goofy shiet, its still a JRPG thing.
    Game is still good and I like it. Something really unique and refreshing. Its just people really need to know what they going in for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I've gotten hooked on fusing personas in this game....

I dont go into the TV world at all to grind and level my characters between story line pieces. I go in just to farm some new personas and see what I can make...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

I never found it as a slow opener personally. It's not as if you're sitting there for 2 hours watching events and feeling uninvolved, your character is integral to the discovery of his new surroundings and the weird things that are happening. There's always a sense that what the game is showing you and who you're meeting is of consequence:
    You meet 3 mundane characters in your first 2 days who you don't fully appreciate their significance until much later in the game.
    I usually prefer when games put you in to a settled world about to discover the core problem that leads to the main adventure rather than assuming you have zero patience and throwing you right into the conflict, filling in the blanks with fragmented flashbacks and recollections.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Combat is fun, but JRPG generally got all "this" stuff outside of combat too. You cant really have one without another. Call it like you want: dating sim, Japanese culture, goofy shiet, its still a JRPG thing.
    Game is still good and I like it. Something really unique and refreshing. Its just people really need to know what they going in for.

It plays more like an anime or a visual novel plot. I wouldn't say it's a typical "jrpg" at all outside of its turn based combat style. A cliche jrpg story would be more along the lines of boy from village coming of age to rescue the princess or defeat the evil empire via gathering 7 ancient crystals/sigils/orbs/sage treasures

Actually no it isn't. All that, eh, JRPG stuff as you call it is actually what is totally unique to Persona 3 and 4 and sets it apart from other JRPGs and makes it so different. As Smurfx said that stuff is straight from the visual novel and dating sim genre and nothing to do with JRPGs. In fact a JRPG set in a realistic contemporary setting with realistic depictions of school ages teenagers is uncommon for the genre, I'd even say it's nearly unique to the Persona series. It's far removed from the cliche of JRPG tropes which makes it so refreshing.

That tactical turn based combat you are enjoying, now that is straight up JRPG.

Actually no it isn't. All that, eh, JRPG stuff as you call it is actually what is totally unique to Persona 3 and 4 and sets it apart from other JRPGs and makes it so different. As Smurfx said that stuff is straight from the visual novel and dating sim genre and nothing to do with JRPGs. In fact a JRPG set in a realistic contemporary setting with realistic depictions of school ages teenagers is uncommon for the genre, I'd even say it's nearly unique to the Persona series. It's far removed from the cliche of JRPG tropes which makes it so refreshing.

That tactical turn based combat you are enjoying, now that is straight up JRPG.

Turn based combat - JRPG
    Characters - JRPG as ****
    Gameplay - JRPG

I dont know, why you trying to say that the most JRPG game ever created is not an JRPG. You defending it like JRPG is a Bad thing...

It's just what you're saying is wrong. The characters really aren't like typical JRPG characters. Usually the characters are all annoying emo teens with some ridiculous existential crisis they overcome and some ridiculous story about collecting a set number of macguffins to save the world/universe set in some outlandish sci-fi/fantasy mash up. Persona is different and quite subversive because it might have the teenage characters but they are believable and living out normal lives in a very normal school environment. It's got more in common with well written visual novels like Higurashi: When they Cry. Fair enough this isn't new in japanese media, you can see parallels with it in Manga, Anime and japanse visual novels but on release combining visual novels with a JRPG combat backbone was novel. What you are calling generic JRPG tropes are actually what makes Persona such a different experience.

Anyway if you really want to get into the semantics of it I can argue that the Shin Megami Tensei series is closer to western RPGs like Wizardry than any JRPG :)

It's just what you're saying is wrong. The characters really aren't like typical JRPG characters. Usually the characters are all annoying emo teens with some ridiculous existential crisis they overcome and some ridiculous story about collecting a set number of macguffins to save the world/universe set in some outlandish sci-fi/fantasy mash up. Persona is different and quite subversive because it might have the teenage characters but they are believable and living out normal lives in a very normal school environment. It's got more in common with well written visual novels like Higurashi: When they Cry. Fair enough this isn't new in japanese media, you can see parallels with it in Manga, Anime and japanse visual novels but on release combining visual novels with a JRPG combat backbone was novel. What you are calling generic JRPG tropes are actually what makes Persona such a different experience.

Anyway if you really want to get into the semantics of it I can argue that the Shin Megami Tensei series is closer to western RPGs like Wizardry than any JRPG :)

In my opinion JRPG is a "Jap anime" culture too, so I guess what you call Novel/Anime style, I call JRPG. This game is soaking in this "only in Japan "stuff. For me ( as non-expert and just a dude who plays games ) goes in to JRPG category, but I wont argue with you as you are JRPG junky and you know more then me in those seas.
    I just hope that some particular person wont run in to this thread and put another Text of Wall Post going anal in to every single little bit just for the sake of it... :P

I started playing it when I was lying in bed hungover so maybe that's why I was appreciating the pressing X and sod all else aspect of it for ages :pac:

Decided to restart this on easy mode, I only want to experience the story and can't be arsed fighting battles over and over to grind up the levels, got stuck on the shadow Yukiko boss and after being killed twice in a row by a one hit attack I said screw it, enjoying it a lot more this time. Don't care if I'm being a pansy I hate grinding in games :P

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Decided to restart this on easy mode, I only want to experience the story and can't be arsed fighting battles over and over to grind up the levels, got stuck on the shadow Yukiko boss and after being killed twice in a row by a one hit attack I said screw it, enjoying it a lot more this time. Don't care if I'm being a pansy I hate grinding in games :P

You're a pansy :p

Its probably the toughest boss in the game, simply because you haven't really gathered much of a knowledge of most spells or battle tactics.

If you still have the save, ideally you want to be level 15 (14 minimum) or so before tackling her. At that stage, you should have Izanagi that knows Rakunda and ideally have a Persona that is Null to Fire. You can use your Goho-M items to go back to the Velvet room to fuse one. If you're level 15, Oberon is a decent Persona to fuse by fusing Sandman x Pixie x Slime.

If by chance you picked up a Bufu skill card, use that on a Persona resistant to Fire, and you'll be laughing.

For the fight:
    Have Izanagi equipped at the start, cast Rakunda and then swap him out for Oberon when your next attack rolls around and continue the assault until you need to recast Rakunda. Use physical attacks with Yosuke (and use him as the healer when you need to) and the odd Bufu with Chie (Yukikio uses White Wall which significantly reduces ice spells), but you'll also get the chance to knock Yukiko down with Bufu for an All-Out Attack. You'll want to guard as often as possible with Chie as she's weak to Fire attacks. When you get Yuki's health about halfway, she'll summon her prince. Again, cast Rakunda on him, attack with Yosuke and guard with Chie. He'll disappear when his health is about 50%, then concentrate on Yukiko again.

Advertisement