Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

mattser wrote: »
    Use another airline. End of.

I am highlighting this to those, like me, who were not aware. Was not aware of it until now as we last flew Ryanair with kids last spring. Your right, we will only fly Greedair in future if it suits us as as a last resort.

Can you troll elsewhere if you have nothing better to add.. !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I was aware of it before, it was flagged in media a lot. I really can't see what the issue is, there is perfectly rational reason for requesting families to make sure they sit together at the time of booking. As it happens I forgot to check in for Easyjet full flight till the day before and we didn't get seats together. Luckily kids are old enough and ok behaved but couple of years ago it would be a lot more hassle. I can understand why the airline would want to avoid that. They are still the cheapest around and less hassle to fly with than they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Troy you are blowing this way out of proportion. Relax, you probably got a cheaper flight by booking Ryanair even with these charges so might be best to relax and focus your attention on something you can change.

Its not a big deal!

toadfly wrote: »
    Troy you are blowing this way out of proportion. Relax, you probably got a cheaper flight by booking Ryanair even with these charges so might be best to relax and focus your attention on something you can change.

Its not a big deal!

Perhaps, but I hate this underhand way of doing business. Introducing charges then lying and spinning it as if they are giving something away and doing you a favour. I though it was a promotion as it was presented as such on booking.

This goes for anyone not just Ryanair. It's like level pay billing is there to help you budget for your utilities bills. My arse it is. Some gullible people believe the likes of Ryanair etc. They should be honest about it. It took the European court to force Ryanair to be honest about this stuff before.

I am just calling them out on it as people should. I know they would throw you onto the runway if it saved/earned them a euro and could get away with it.
    I think we all understand that but still use them.
    Trust me I know better than to lose any sleep but thanks for the sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Perhaps, but I hate this underhand way of doing business.

but....but.... its Ryanair!!!!

Were u around in the old days when EVERYTHING was ticked (Insurance / Bags etc) and it was impossible to find the 'untick' box!!! Aaaahhhhhh those were the days for really getting screwed!!

• Advertisement

Agreed, but that was for everybody! Now they are seeing it they can target certain groups for charges and tell you its a good deal for you!

As if this charge has anything to do with families getting to sit together. If it was actually necessary they would all do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

This goes for anyone not just Ryanair. It's like level pay billing is there to help you budget for your utilities bills. My arse it is. Some gullible people believe the likes of Ryanair etc. They should be honest about it. It took the European court to force Ryanair to be honest about this stuff before.

It took the European court to force ALL airlines to display full airfare prices at the time of search before choosing your actual flight. I'm nearly sure it was Aer Lingus that got told off and fined by Europe for not implementing the ruling and displaying the exact fare breakdown, open to correction but please, go on with your airline bashing.....it's humerous to see you get worked up about €4 when it cost me €18 to sit beside my son in the same seats on the way back from Europe with EI a couple of months ago. I didn't mind paying it though as he's my child and I wouldn't like to have to leave him beside a stranger for a flight at 8 years old when out sits can't be guaranteed together on a full flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

Perhaps, but I hate this underhand way of doing business. Introducing charges then lying and spinning it as if they are giving something away and doing you a favour. I though it was a promotion as it was presented as such on booking.

I think O'Leary is a genius for what he has done with Ryanair since he become CEO but everytime I see him on tv spoofing on about how Ryanair are nice now, it now makes me want to vomit out of my eyeballs. How in the blue blazing **** could anyone think charging for something that used to be free could be considered nice!

Also when Ryanair used to have say a 10euro sale, that meant you could get a flight anywhere for 10 euros. Now when they have a 10 euro sale, you can get a flight to some obscure sh!thole for 10 euro in the middle of winter and every other flight in this so called sale is normal price or thereabouts.

Bring back old Ryanair!

I will never fly with them again unless they stop being "nice."

billie1b wrote: »
    It took the European court to force ALL airlines to display full airfare prices at the time of search before choosing your actual flight. I'm nearly sure it was Aer Lingus that got told off and fined by Europe for not implementing the ruling and displaying the exact fare breakdown, open to correction but please, go on with your airline bashing.....it's humerous to see you get worked up about €4 when it cost me €18 to sit beside my son in the same seats on the way back from Europe with EI a couple of months ago. I didn't mind paying it though as he's my child and I wouldn't like to have to leave him beside a stranger for a flight at 8 years old when out sits can't be guaranteed together on a full flight.

Missing the point. Its should not be either/ or and or held to ransom to sit beside you child. If your happy with it then luck to you. Why bother even saying so.

I wish O'leary would run our public services and put his talents to good use cutting the fat out of that. He is definitely good at what he does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The reason Ryanair started enforcing this for families to sit togeather was because they were constantly have their flights delayed by families who'd turn up last minute and insist on cabin crew reseating passengers so they could sit next to their kids because these cheapskate families hadn't bothered to select seats/check in early online and ensure seats togeather. They would instead turn up and expect everyone else to move seats to accommodate them, so I say bravo to Ryanair for enforcing this policy, I think all airlines should do it.
    They're are many things I don't like about Ryanair, but they are efficient with things like this and well done to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We're flying back to Dublin on Thursday. I received the "you can now check in for free" email yesterday morning. I duly went online and began the process (which has been made a lot quicker now that you can save your documents*). I checked in for the Dublin leg, both seats together, no issues, boarding passes saved.

Now to check in for the return leg on Sunday. . .no can do. . .outside 4 days. They're part of the same booking ffs. I won't have access to a printer while there so the app better bloody work, pita!

*their system will not save my infant daughters passport details. It accepted them for check-in but it will not add to the "my companions" section of my profile. I've tried several times over the last few weeks and was a little concerned there might be a check-in issue because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

theteal wrote: »
    We're flying back to Dublin on Thursday. I received the "you can now check in for free" email yesterday morning. I duly went online and began the process (which has been made a lot quicker now that you can save your documents*). I checked in for the Dublin leg, both seats together, no issues, boarding passes saved.

Now to check in for the return leg on Sunday. . .no can do. . .outside 4 days. They're part of the same booking ffs. I won't have access to a printer while there so the app better bloody work, pita!

*their system will not save my infant daughters passport details. It accepted them for check-in but it will not add to the "my companions" section of my profile. I've tried several times over the last few weeks and was a little concerned there might be a check-in issue because of it.

Before the App came out this was a legitimate problem and I too was pissed off about it, but having used the app now for multiple return flights it's unbelievably easy and straight forward.

Jayop wrote: »
    Before the App came out this was a legitimate problem and I too was pissed off about it, but having used the app now for multiple return flights it's unbelievably easy and straight forward.

The app wouldn't take the baby's documents yesterday morning when trying to check-in. I had to do it via the site. I hadn't planned on bringing the laptop with me but I may be forced to as a safety net. Not a big issue, it just irked me a bit.

The app wouldn't take the baby's documents yesterday morning when trying to check-in. I had to do it via the site. I hadn't planned on bringing the laptop with me but I may be forced to as a safety net. Not a big issue, it just irked me a bit.

Hmm, not sure about that. What docs does a baby have? Just a regular passport these days I thought.

I know when I used the app from home to book the outgoing flight I was able to just pretty much go in and click one or two times to get the return leg.

Hmm, not sure about that. What docs does a baby have? Just a regular passport these days I thought.

I know when I used the app from home to book the outgoing flight I was able to just pretty much go in and click one or two times to get the return leg.

UK passport. I can't help but think the issue is something to do with her parents having Irish passports but I don't know what difference that makes. Anyway, I'm sure we'll be fine, just having a moan.

UK passport. I can't help but think the issue is something to do with her parents having Irish passports but I don't know what difference that makes. Anyway, I'm sure we'll be fine, just having a moan.

Could be that alright. I've never had to do different nationality passports with kids so I don't know what the dealio is.

Moan away! That's absolutely what forums are here for! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Having an absolute nightmare with check in now
    3 adults one u12 so due to new structure have to check in early and pay for seat for one adult to sit with u12 ..........it keeps telling me to select seats between 18-30 which will be reduced to 4euro and the child's will be free
    This does not happen
    I've tried it multiple times through site and app
    It keeps charging me full whack 7.50 or 9 euro for BOTH the adult and the child despite it clearly saying on screen beside seat selection child's seat will be free
    And there are only 2 pairs left side by side

It's driving me daft

Flight out is June 20th back is July 4th

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

km79 wrote: »
    Having an absolute nightmare with check in now
    3 adults one u12 so due to new structure have to check in early and pay for seat for one adult to sit with u12 ..........it keeps telling me to select seats between 18-30 which will be reduced to 4euro and the child's will be free
    This does not happen
    I've tried it multiple times through site and app
    It keeps charging me full whack 7.50 or 9 euro for BOTH the adult and the child despite it clearly saying on screen beside seat selection child's seat will be free
    And there are only 2 pairs left side by side

It's driving me daft

Flight out is June 20th back is July 4th

Had a similar experience booking a flight yesterday. It's utterly confusing, couldn't get the half price seats it kept telling me about, and could get any except for the expensive seats on the way back. I just gave up in the end and didn't bother booking seats for the way back, and took the €4 seats over. Ok for us as two adults, but would be a total pain with kids.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Had a similar experience booking a flight yesterday. It's utterly confusing, couldn't get the half price seats it kept telling me about, and could get any except for the expensive seats on the way back. I just gave up in the end and didn't bother booking seats for the way back, and took the €4 seats over. Ok for us as two adults, but would be a total pain with kids.
    It's telling me that I HAVE to prebook seats as I have a 6 year old as part of the party BUT the adults seats will be 4 euro AND child's free
    None of this is happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Locker10a wrote: »
    The reason Ryanair started enforcing this for families to sit togeather was because they were constantly have their flights delayed by families who'd turn up last minute and insist on cabin crew reseating passengers so they could sit next to their kids because these cheapskate families hadn't bothered to select seats/check in early online and ensure seats togeather. They would instead turn up and expect everyone else to move seats to accommodate them, so I say bravo to Ryanair for enforcing this policy, I think all airlines should do it.
    They're are many things I don't like about Ryanair, but they are efficient with things like this and well done to them

I was on a flight where this exact thing happened
    Two adults and a child turn up
    Demand to sit together I was in an emergency exit seat ( I'm 6'2" and 18 stone and it was a long flight) that I'd taken priority hoardings to get. And they wanted my seat I looked to the air steward and said will you tell him or will I?
    No kids in the emergency seats
    Fair play to Ryan air I fly with them all the time and I find them great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It's telling me that I HAVE to prebook seats as I have a 6 year old as part of the party BUT the adults seats will be 4 euro AND child's free
    None of this is happening

I'm reading back through it again and it's telling me the adult seat was included in the fare and child seat is free
    And reading the blurb when it was released it said it was mandatory to buy adult seat at time of booking
    I'm very confused now

Just off a webchat with them here is the gist of it

Go through website and not app and adult seat will be 4 euro child seat free
    I informed him I had tried this multiple times last night to no avail
    He then said I can book them and apply for refund via webchat tomorrow
    Total cost for one adult one child 8 euro with remaining 2 full price or free check in

Interestingly I don't think I actually have to prebook any seats and can check in 4 days ahead as before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

km79, as far as I know its now not possible to actually buy a childs ticket now so what youre describing is a booking from before the changes were introduced . When did you actually buy the tickets?

I'd be thinking that if thats the case you probably can wait till the normal free seat allocation window and bag the seats for free.

km79, as far as I know its now not possible to actually buy a childs ticket now so what youre describing is a booking from before the changes were introduced . When did you actually buy the tickets?

I'd be thinking that if thats the case you probably can wait till the normal free seat allocation window and bag the seats for free.

I have just received an email now from a different member of CS saying that full price must be paid if I wish to prebook
    The complete opposite of my webchat which I took photos of............it does seem to be the case that I can just check in as normal alright as I usually do
    Only4 days ahead as opposed to 7 though could be greater risk of splitting up
    I'd be happy to paythe8 euro to ensure one adult and child together and take my chances with the other 2 adults but that email is now saying No

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

I booked a flight last night for two adults and three kids. had no problem reserving seats for us all together ! and it only cost €10 for both ways. it's a good move on ryanairs part I think . agree with the poster above who mentioned about families wanting to sit together at the last minute , this solves this in a very cost effective manner .

The missus and her wife flew twice this week and although there were only two of them and the flight wasn't full they were allocated seats away from each other on both legs.

Clear tactic from Ryanair to force people to buy seats. Poor form and I'm someone who always defends them here.

The missus and her wife flew twice this week and although there were only two of them and the flight wasn't full they were allocated seats away from each other on both legs.

Clear tactic from Ryanair to force people to buy seats. Poor form and I'm someone who always defends them here.

Missus and her wife ????

Missus and her wife ????

Sorry, should have said the missus and her mother. Doh

• Advertisement

Sorry, should have said the missus and her mother. Doh

:D
    Definitely seems to be more risk of being split up now alright

Advertisement