Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy being fat (Overweight)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

was I happy overweight? no.

I struggle with weight, most people who know me, don't realise this, because they see me eat a burger/chocolate "without a 2nd thought". This isn't true. I will normally plan things so that the next day/rest of that day, I balance my food intake.

I LOVE food, but I hate being fat.

I was overweight about 5/6 years ago. I struggled with an eating disorder for 1 year, became underweight but now have a balance.
    But weight/food will always bring some negativity to my life as it takes constant re-checking/will power not to eat a box of biscuits everyday with a burger on the side.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

jake66 wrote: »
    Nothing tastes as good as being slim....

I hope you're aware that something extremely similar has gone around on pro eating disorder websites for years.

I'm overweight. Would I like to be slimmer? Yes, I would. But I'm not pushing myself. I've had a crap few years, my depression is currently barely under control and I was basically bed bound for most of 2013 due to injury. I like how I am. I eat healthily, and I walk everywhere. That's all I can ask for myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I do not have a food pipe due to cancer surgery - I spent a long time just looking for the highest calorie dense food I could find, it is only now that I can eat more that I can have the 'luxury' of eating things like porrige...still I am still here. I did have a bad cold over Chrhtistmas so lost too much weight. It is a constant battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

UCDVet wrote: »
    If I were an amazing guitarist - I wouldn't look down my nose as people who don't play guitar and say, 'Ya know, if you just practiced 30 minutes a day, 3x a week, for a few years, you'd AT LEAST be able to strum along....but I guess you're just too lazy. SAVE YOUR EXCUSES, everyone has them. The difference between you and me is that *I* make the time....to practice guitar'.

See, I wouldn't do that because it's silly. Fitness is no different

:confused:

It's totally different. A hobby generally only affects how well you can do that hobby, fitness affects nearly everything, from simple things like walking from a to b or how well you sleep at night to how long and how comfortable you'll be in old age.

On the food matter, given that your brain alone uses 20-25% of your energy, I think it follows that you'll feel better when you eat healthy. While nearly everyone enjoys eating unhealthy food in the moment, in the long run you'll likely feel a lot better if you eat a balanced diet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Wibbs wrote: »
    Still portion control is a huge part of it. Especially now as you point out people tend to be more sedentary. Fat doesn't come from air. A person who is fat is taking in more food than is being used as fuel. Outside of rare enough medical conditions that's the basics of it. The whys are more complex though. Comfort eating, mental illness, type of foods being eaten, social pressures etc.

I have to say though I don't like the upward trend on what the cut off for "fat" is. I understand it's to avoid being a dick about people in particular, but in general when it's acceptable for a bloke to rock a beergut or that a size 18 woman is curvy it's a bit too far for me. I know whole extended families that are fat with nary a thin adult among them and it's a bit odd. I personally don't care, as it's none of my beeswax, but I don't think it's good for society. We're well behind the US in the fat stakes, but that could be our future.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I was about 24/25 I went from working in restaurants to working in an office and I put on weight. I went up to 12 stone/size 16. I knew I had put on a lot of weight but people in the office were telling me that I wasn't big and was normal. I know that 16 is what is thrown around now as the average size for a woman but it is still overweight. It boggled my mind how people could seriously say to me that I wasn't overweight when clearly I was.

I wasn't happy being that size. It wasn't that I thought I was a useless, lazy, good for nothing lump of lard but I felt more sluggish, got out of breath going up stairs and was less motivated to do stuff. I eventually lost the weight and the most honest friend of mine, a Russian lady who had seen me at my heaviest and then saw me after I lost the weight said "Mary don't get fat again, it doesn't suit you". She wasn't being a b!tch and I didn't take offence because what she said was true.

I'm now generally about ten stone and once I start to go over ten and a half, the feeling of not being happy with myself kicks in and I make cut backs. For me it's not vanity but health reasons. I don't like feeling like crap and the more overweight I get, the more I find everyday things a struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Shout Dust wrote: »
    :confused:

It's totally different. A hobby generally only affects how well you can do that hobby, fitness affects nearly everything, from simple things like walking from a to b or how well you sleep at night to how long and how comfortable you'll be in old age.

On the food matter, given that your brain alone uses 20-25% of your energy, I think it follows that you'll feel better when you eat healthy. While nearly everyone enjoys eating unhealthy food in the moment, in the long run you'll likely feel a lot better if you eat a balanced diet

He was commenting on the fitness fanatics/entuasiasts over the basic amount you would need for health.

Everyone could simply walk and eat a balance diet to be healthy, does who choose to do more, do so because they enjoy it.
    Thats the point, it's not something that makes them "better" than those that don't exercise, the same way, playing an instrument doesn't make you a better/happier person than those that don't play instruments.

That's not to say exercise doesn't make you specifically a happier person, but not everyone would feel the same as you.

I think this is what UCDvet was trying to get across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I hope you're aware that something extremely similar has gone around on pro eating disorder websites for years.

I'm overweight. Would I like to be slimmer? Yes, I would. But I'm not pushing myself. I've had a crap few years, my depression is currently barely under control and I was basically bed bound for most of 2013 due to injury. I like how I am. I eat healthily, and I walk everywhere. That's all I can ask for myself.

Slim does feel good though - it's so pleasant to stretch and slink about like a cat. The quote was actually 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' and it was first attributed to Kate Moss. If she prefers the feeling of air on taut flesh to a cream cake, leave her off, and let those who like flexing their taste buds more than their muscles off too. Chacun a son gout (or haptics) and all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Get real... anyone overweight is not happy about it and I include myself in that, just happier eating and hence a vicious circle, till Monday morning comes then it's gonna change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Get real... anyone overweight is not happy about it and I include myself in that, just happier eating and hence a vicious circle, till Monday morning comes then it's gonna change.

Or Jan 1st:D

carraig2 wrote: »
    Or Jan 1st:D

a huh getting skinny just thinking about it. :P

• Advertisement

a huh getting skinny just thinking about it. :P

Wait till May. I be so hot!!!!

Wait till May. I be so hot!!!!

Jeez you must have a lorra lorra stuff to shift if it gonna take till May ;)

Jeez you must have a lorra lorra stuff to shift if it gonna take till May ;)

I have a fair bit. Also I am setting realistic targets this time. Failed too often before.
    May is only 18 weeks away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Shenshen wrote: »
    Yes.

I'm not sure if that's a serious question, of course some people do... I've had people yelling names at me when going for a swim, I've heard people complaining about having to look at me working out in a gym, my own father referred to me as "the fat pig" for a good few years (until my parents finally split up and I didn't have to speak to him again).

People will bully others for any reason at all.
    The only thing you can do is grow a thick skin, I actually feel sorry for them at this point.

It was a serious question.
    I've been treated very badly by some people because I'm fat.
    Then there's the common abuse from strangers.
    That's why I'm so surprised the initial question on the other thread was asked; nobody has ever been bothered by upsetting me!
    Poor me!

Me too but I'm in denial..really im a size six in a larger frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Whilst I'm not over the moon at my current size, 5'6" and a size 18, I can't honestly say it's making me unhappy. I let myself get this way, and I've come to terms with the decisions I made that enabled it. So I Started swimming, and going to the gym, eating a bit better and smaller portions, and whilst I've only lost a couple of pounds so far, I've lost inches round my waist, which is where I carry my weight. I've great legs and good boobs, it's just the middle bit where it all gets a bit jiggly.

Am I the ultimate vision of how I'd like to look, no, of course not. I have many other things in my life that bring me joy and happiness - my appearance is not that important - but my health is. Exercising 3 times a week is not that difficult and needn't cost a penny. There's a gajiliion resources on the internet for free workouts at home for all levels of fitness. It may not be the most fun you ever had but neither is washing up or ironing and you still make yourself do them things.

Here here.

Whilst I'm not over the moon at my current size, 5'6" and a size 18, I can't honestly say it's making me unhappy. I let myself get this way, and I've come to terms with the decisions I made that enabled it. So I Started swimming, and going to the gym, eating a bit better and smaller portions, and whilst I've only lost a couple of pounds so far, I've lost inches round my waist, which is where I carry my weight. I've great legs and good boobs, it's just the middle bit where it all gets a bit jiggly.

Am I the ultimate vision of how I'd like to look, no, of course not. I have many other things in my life that bring me joy and happiness - my appearance is not that important - but my health is. Exercising 3 times a week is not that difficult and needn't cost a penny. There's a gajiliion resources on the internet for free workouts at home for all levels of fitness. It may not be the most fun you ever had but neither is washing up or ironing and you still make yourself do them things.

No I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

No I don't

Ok, insert task here <> that you have to do even though you don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

The part I hate most about being so overweight now is that unless i change my diet, my kid is going to grow up thinking that the size his dad and I are is normal, and he'll likely follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Ok, insert task here <> that you have to do even though you don't like it

Na you were right. Ironing is top of that list:)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Used to be overweight and hated it so went out exercised like a divil while quitting junk food. I ended up underweight with a Bmi of 17 and got slagged relentlessly, probably nore than when I was bigger.
    Ended up deciding to ignore others opinions and just try be happy for me.

So I now sit here typing this as skinny (bmi of 18.7) but contented. Féck it we can't please everyone so I think regardless of whether you're tall, short, heavy or light as long as you are happy in yourself that's the main thing. It took me a long time to figure that out but I'm glad to have got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

I was pretty heavy last year and I was well aware of it. Around June 2012, I was a bit over 95kg and approaching 100kg. At the time, it was 3 months before my 22nd birthday. That was enough to realise I was not happy being heavy, so I ended up taking up cycling by getting rid of my old mountain bike and went for a road bike.

By the time September rolled around, I was 76kg and couldn't be happier. Now, the bike is not used for weight management, but for racing. Currently, that weight is unchanged and my body fat percentage is down to about 15%. That fateful decision has made me healthier, fitter and happier and don't regret it for a second. I keep around my XL abercrombie hoody and 36 inch pair of jeans to remind me of what I was like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

No way. Been fat all my life and want to know what it feels like to have a normal body! So I'm going to get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Am I the ultimate vision of how I'd like to look, no, of course not. I have many other things in my life that bring me joy and happiness - my appearance is not that important - but my health is.

Fair play to you, this is a wonderful attitude.

I think that perspective is important.

No, I doubt many people would be happy about being fat, but who's to say they should be miserable or have some sort of a half-assed life where they don't get the respect or joy that they deserve, as human beings, regardless.

I suffered with an eating disorder many years ago where my weight was the sole focus of my life. I reached the societal ideal of what I should look like - went below that - the compliments never ended and I was more unhappy than I've ever been before in my life. I wouldn't wish that kind of depression, anxiety, mental illness and sense that you're a prisoner to your own mind on anyone.

These days I'm a lot happier and healthier, and if I gained weight for any reason, I doubt I'd be happy but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd still be a wonderful human being with a vast array of talents and positive attributes and would take the approach of compartmentalizing my weight so it didn't represent the whole sum of who I am and what I'm worth. Because it's simply body fat - something a human being physically gains, not their heart and soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

I used to be 15 stone, now down to 12.5, so yeah (female). Pleased with being a fatso. Been a year in progress, taking it slowly and doing it properly noting what i've learned in the last year regarding nutrition. Age 18, i only ate 1 meal a day between certain hours, losing 4 stone in 2 months and will never ever repeat that mistake again.

So to answer your question, yes, quite pleased with being a fatso right now, because it makes me smile thinking about how much worse i was :)

uch wrote: »
    Taking from the earlier thread about obesiety, are you a happy Fatso. Personally, I'm very comfortable being an xxl

I think in my experience I have noticed people generally get unhealthy - overweight - and so on quite slowly. Over time. As such many people do not even notice their slow loss of fitness over time any more than they notice their finger nails growing. They just suddenly notice they have long fingernails one day that need to be cut back.

Over the past years I got into walking - then running and cycling - and then Capoeira and brazilian jiu jitsu. And looking back on that journey I realise that by the time I had hit 25 I was - although not really over weight though I had a belly on me - massively unhealthy and unfit.

Now that I have reached a point where I can really see what my body can do - what I can do with it - (and yes what I can do to others with it - wink wink) - and what I can do to push it that little bit further each day - I do not think I could ever go back and be anything even remotely approaching "happy". It would be like asking a muscician to be happy to let their instrument go slowly out of tune and never tune it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When I was in a bad place I was thinner. Now that I got my head straight I've gained a few but much happier in myself over all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Lost 5 stone in my time, could still do with losing another 2 but not feeling mental about it or anything. My biggest impediment over the years has not been food but alcohol. But I've began to cut down over the last month and tbh, the feeling of being alcohol free is just as good as the feeling I get from a good work out. Hoping I can continue that trend into the new year.

I am happy anyway (especially over the last month). I've been trained in mindfulness so if I ever find myself drifting negatively so to speak, I'm pretty good at taking a step back and taking stock of a situation. I've always been of the belief that ultimately, you are on your own in this world, so it's important not to worry about what others think and to be kind to yourself.

Advertisement