Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy being fat (Overweight)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Why is everyone so concerned with OTHER people's weight? I think these people must not have much going on in their own lives.

To maybe be active, or be fit ?

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

uch wrote: »
    Feck off, we're fat and happy

I'm 5'9" ........ 220 lbs .......... balding .......... philosophical ........ whimsical ....... spontaneous ......... and (I can honestly say ;)) that the only things that makes me mad are some boardsies.

I know if I'm reading the National Inquirer, watching Fox News or listening to that überDickhead Mikey Graham - what to expect. But on boards.ie, where I come to relax, you never know.
    And that is the beauty of boards! I can't believe I just said that. Perhaps too many Long Island Ice Teas ;)

mdwexford wrote: »
    Might be happy but would be even happier and more confident etc with a perfect body.

I won't be truly happy till I get the mansion as well.

Another fattie I bet

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Skuxx wrote: »
    I think if anyone says they are happy being fat hasn't experienced the high you get from doing some exercise and getting into shape! You might think your happy now but you'd be a whole lot happier (and healthier) if you weren't fat!! And once you get into shape you'll never go back to your old ways!!

Am not quite sure that you know what you're talking about. I work out for 40 mins each weekday. But I know people in the gym that are addicted to their gym schedules or getting their endorphin fixes by other ways.
    These people are some of the most boring that I've ever met. And are avoided by most - other than other gym bunnies.

I was at a party a few nights ago and there were some people walking around with bottles of water. I mean ........ bottles of water! WTF! And they discussed their gym regimes with anyone that wished to be bored to death.
    The upside of this was ......... all these H2Os left before 11pm and the party took off :D

• Advertisement

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Am not quite sure that you know what you're talking about. I work out for 40 mins each weekday. But I know people in the gym that are addicted to their gym schedules or getting their endorphin fixes by other ways.
    These people are some of the most boring that I've ever met. And are avoided by most - other than other gym bunnies.

I was at a party a few nights ago and there were some people walking around with bottles of water. I mean ........ bottles of water! WTF! And they discussed their gym regimes with anyone that wished to be bored to death.
    The upside of this was ......... all these H2Os left before 11pm and the party took off :D

Good Lad !

21/25

biko wrote: »

Sure I heard this back in the early/late 60s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I saw a programme a few years ago about a man that was stabbed and survived the attack. His fat stopped the knife reaching his internal organs. If he hadn't been overweight he would have most likely have been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I saw a programme a few years ago about a man that was stabbed and survived the attack. His fat stopped the knife reaching his internal organs. If he hadn't been overweight he would have most likely have been killed.

but if he hadn't been fat he probably would have been able to run away from the attack :pac:

Take it away baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was very fat as a kid, no big surprise considering I was shoving all the wrong kinds of food down me gob and taking no exercise.

Was called every name under the sun at school so at 15 I decided fook this and changed my diet and exercised every day.

Never going back to those days again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Skuxx wrote: »
    I think if anyone says they are happy being fat hasn't experienced the high you get from doing some exercise and getting into shape! You might think your happy now but you'd be a whole lot happier (and healthier) if you weren't fat!! And once you get into shape you'll never go back to your old ways!!

I'm much happier being fat now that I'm in recovery for eating disorders than when I was in shape and obsessed. For me being thin didn't make me happy at all, and it's taken a lot of work to come to a place where I don't rely on my appearance for comfort and confidence.

I'll be healthier if I lose weight, which I am conscious of, but its not my main goal since I know it won't make me any happier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

diograis wrote: »
    i laughed so hard at this

You don't get out much, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't think anyone would choose to be overweight/fat for the sake of being it (okay, I'm sure someone would, but most people wouldn't). But I can completely understand why people 'choose' to be in the real world.

I did sports all through uni and after I graduated I took to the gym. It was great. I enjoyed it and I was in great shape. Good times. I'd spend an hour in the gym, six days per week. And I'd spend a lot of time keeping track of what I ate and preparing healthy food. After two years of that, I was really happy with how I looked.

Now, I never work out and I'm overweight. I'm getting more and more overweight. I hate being overweight, but....it's just a matter of priorities.

I have a long commute (~1 hour each way) followed by a demanding job with reasonably long hours. If I leave my apartment at 6am, I'll be walking in the door at 6pm. I don't have a car, the nearest gym would be 20 minutes out of my way, and expensive too! But I'd still do it, except...on my night and weekends, I'm trying to complete a post-graduate degree.

For the last three years, that's been my life. When I'm not at work, I'm at school. Every 4 months or so, I'll have a week or two without class, but not enough to make a difference in my fitness. So I don't bother.

I've tried to do little things that people talk about. Take the stairs! Walk at a brisk pace. It's all a joke. When I worked out properly I saw real results, but this stuff is just an annoyance. It doesn't help.

Yeah, I could start eating like a rabbit and, while I'd still be out of shape, I'd be skinny and out of shape; but it just comes back to not being worth it. The highlight of my day is ducking out of the office and eating a large, fattening lunch. Giving it up so I can be slightly less fat seems like a bad deal.

Ultimately, yes, I'm choosing to be fat. But I'm choosing my job, my education and my wife over hitting the gym. So, it sucks, but it's where I'm at. I can only imagine what it would be like if I had kids to worry about on top of it all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

*sobs into pillow*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would choose to be overweight/fat for the sake of being it (okay, I'm sure someone would, but most people wouldn't). But I can completely understand why people 'choose' to be in the real world.

I did sports all through uni and after I graduated I took to the gym. It was great. I enjoyed it and I was in great shape. Good times. I'd spend an hour in the gym, six days per week. And I'd spend a lot of time keeping track of what I ate and preparing healthy food.

Now, I never work out and I'm overweight. I'm getting more and more overweight. I hate being overweight, but....it's just a matter of priorities.

I have a long commute (~1 hour each way) followed by a demanding job with reasonably long hours. If I leave my apartment at 6am, I'll be walking in the door at 6pm. I don't have a car, the nearest gym would be 20 minutes out of my way, and expensive too! But I'd still do it, except...on my night and weekends, I'm trying to complete a post-graduate degree.

For the last three years, that's been my life. When I'm not at work, I'm at school. Every 4 months or so, I'll have a week or two without class, but not enough to make a difference in my fitness. So I don't bother.

I've tried to do little things that people talk about. Take the stairs! Walk at a brisk pace. It's all a joke. When I worked out properly I saw real results, but this stuff is just an annoyance. It doesn't help.

Yeah, I could start eating like a rabbit and, while I'd still be out of shape, I'd be skinny and out of shape; but it just comes back to not being worth it. The highlight of my day is ducking out of the office and eating a large, fattening lunch. Giving it up so I can be slightly less fat seems like a bad deal.

Ultimately, yes, I'm choosing to be fat. But I'm choosing my job, my education and my wife over hitting the gym. So, it sucks, but it's where I'm at. I can only imagine what it would be like if I had kids to worry about on top of it all.

I know a guy who moved from his tiny Austrian hometown, became a pro athlete, became wealthy in the property market, managed to break into hollywood as a leading man, married into royalty and later held political office and he managed to stay in pretty good shape throughout.

busy isn't an excuse, be fat all you want but please spare everyone the whining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

tbh i wish i had more weight at sometimes,Im only 10 stone atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

urabell wrote: »
    I know a guy who moved from his tiny Austrian hometown, became a pro athlete, became wealthy in the property market, managed to break into hollywood as a leading man, married into royalty and later held political office and he managed to stay in pretty good shape throughout.

Actually - he didn't stay in shape at all. Compared to the shape he was in, he completely abandoned working out. And, let's be honest, becoming a pro-athlete got him lots and lots of money. He started business ventures in the fitness industry that he couldn't have done without being a world-class bodybuilder and having the money from his winnings. His entire success was predicated on him being in great shape. He did invest in real estate at a great time to be in real estate. But I've got investments too! The difference between mine and his is that he had LOTS of money to invest. If I make 30% one year, it's a great year for me, but we're talking peanuts. If I had a few million invested, it woudl be a different story.

His break into Hollywood - again, was all about being in shape. Being in shape made him rich and famous.

The guy is an amazing success. I'm a fan of his, I really am. But everything he did was built around being in shape, and the success that came with it. Without his movies, fame, and money; I don't believe he would have been elected into political office and once he did, he fitness level dropped. From world class bodybuilder to not too bad is no different than me going from 'In shape for a regular dude' to 'Overweight for a regular dude'.

Also - there was no whining. Just my personal take on it. When I started school I also stopped playing World of Warcraft. I'm not whining about not playing WoW - it's just how it is. I decided to stop working out and I decided to stop playing WoW. My choices. If someone had a thread on why people choose not to play WoW, I might share my opinion on that too.

arnold-schwarzenegger-before-and-after.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

urabell wrote: »

Nothing about that is whining. He has loads of perfectly fair and rational reasons as to why he's overweight. He's chosen to make other things his priority for the time being.

Am also pretty sure most people don't want to emulate Arnie or consider him a particularly good role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Thinking about celebs being in great shape, how many hours a week do regular people spend doing shopping, cleaning, cooking and such that celebs can pay someone to do?

I'd do much more exercise if I could come home to a clean house and a good meal ready for me everyday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm not overweight or fat but I have a bit of extra fat around my tummy and thighs. Compared with someone who has weight problems I'll sound like a whingebag, but for me it's been pretty hard to lose.

My problem is that I can't get enough time to exercise. After I get back from work in spend my evening looking for jobs, and looking for a place to live. If I find a job then I apply for it, if I get a response from an apartment then I try go view it. It all takes my entire evening. I've more than an hour commute to and from work, and the best I can do is get off the bus early and walk some of the way. Walking does no good though, need to be doing higher impact stuff to lose this.

And yeah I understand the comfort you can get from eating things you like especially when you're so busy, but my diet isn't even bad. My vice is chocolate.

I'm pathetic and I have to sort this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I'm much happier being fat now that I'm in recovery for eating disorders than when I was in shape and obsessed. For me being thin didn't make me happy at all, and it's taken a lot of work to come to a place where I don't rely on my appearance for comfort and confidence.

I'll be healthier if I lose weight, which I am conscious of, but its not my main goal since I know it won't make me any happier :)

Yeah, I get really seriously upset if my thighs touch when I'm standing still, and I get upset that that upsets me. At least if you're on the bigger side and maybe a bit unhealthy you get to eat all the tasty food and sit down and stuff. I've got a kind of idealised notion of the chubby life and so do quite a few people I know with eating disorders, it's nice to know there's some truth to it :D

Also well done you on being in recovery, that's an amazing thing to be able to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Some skinny people must think overweight people go around in a perpetual state of depression going by some of the comments I read on boards.

I'm a big guy, overweight, yes, but 6'4 so it's spread around :D Believe it or not, I am quite happy in my day to day life. Would I like to lose some weight? Sure. But it's not something I dwell on, believe it or not I don't feel like a fatty. I feel normal AND healthy (shock horror).

Fact is, I can lose weight any time I want, if I really want to. Right now though, I don't really care. Question is, why do you care enough to be asking about it on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I eat because im unhappy,
    and Im unhappy because I eat.

Its a vicious circle.

On a serious note, the last two years ive been overweight and it bothers me a lot. Unhappy with my weight but not unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

I am an XL but not overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Nope, I dont like being over weight. I've worked pretty hard to lose it the past few years, 7 stone in 3 years. I still have more to lose and I'm seriously going to work at it this year.

There's no point in being miserable with my weight, when I can do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm overweight, but it doesn't bother me enough to put in the effort to do anything about it. If I gave up the things I like I could be thin, but as 90% of the time I think I'm gorgeous anyway I don't have the motivation to do anything about it. I swim a lot, and I'm pretty healthy, so hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'd be about 2 stone overweight if you look at the charts but I'm healthy and fit, take plenty of exercise (regular 100km cycles, run a little, walk alot), diet could be better but don't drink, don't smoke, cholesterol is low, heart is good, blood pressure perfect - I'm fairly happy at I fast track towards 50yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

No I am not happy being overweight, and 2014 is the year I change it

Advertisement