Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burning oil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You have a room thermostat and a cylinder stat, you must have motorised valve/s, look a little harder about the hot press, more pics may help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

You have a room thermostat and a cylinder stat, you must have motorised valve/s, look a little harder about the hot press, more pics may help.

ok i have 2 box type things onto pipes in utility room downstairs , and some thing round on top on tank where element goes . photos to follow

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

4 of the photos are down in my utility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

tfromkerry wrote: »
    ok i have 2 box type things onto pipes in utility room downstairs

You have three "box type things " in your utility , these are the motorised valves the lads are talking about , one of them is connected to your cylinder stat . Turning the stat down to minimum should in turn close the valve and prevent you heating hot water. If the hot water is getting hotter than what you have set it for then there's a chance the actuator is banjo'd and not closing when the pre set temp is reached so it's continually being heated when boiler is on , also check balancing valve is set properly as advised previously. Have your service engineer check the controls when your having your annual service

Egass13 wrote: »
    ok i have 2 box type things onto pipes in utility room downstairs

You have three "box type things " in your utility , these are the motorised valves the lads are talking about , one of them is connected to your cylinder stat . Turning the stat down to minimum should in turn close the valve and prevent you heating hot water. If the hot water is getting hotter than what you have set it for then there's a chance the actuator is banjo'd and not closing when the pre set temp is reached so it's continually being heated when boiler is on , also check balancing valve is set properly as advised previously. Have your service engineer check the controls when your having your annual service

Ok so what your saying is turn the stat which is set into the cylinder down to minimum and that will do the trick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yup

shane0007 wrote: »
    Yup

Perfect so i will turn down the stat on cylinder from 60c to 0c and this will do the trick

What about the legionnaires thing your were on about last night

Actually the minimum is 20c

If you are storing the water for prolonged periods at a given temperature of below 28C, legionnaires cannot survive.

Do you not have any hot water demand at all?

If its working. You may still require adjustment of the balancing valve to get more heat to the rads.

How so? There will be no flow through the coil if the dhw MV is off, therefore taking nothing from the heating. The balancing valve would only come into play if dhw was on at the same time as the heating.

• Advertisement

yes your correct, brain freeze.

shane0007 wrote: »
    If you are storing the water for prolonged periods at a given temperature of below 28C, legionnaires cannot survive.

Do you not have any hot water demand at all?

Yes i would be only certain times of the day , also i have an electric shower .It just seemed a waste to be heating up water i was not using .And sure cant i turn it up again to 60c if required

So in summary . I turn down the stat to min which is 20c and i need do nothing else . And rads will get hotter , water get colder and happy days yea ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

in picture 8 in the utility room what is the reading on the pressure gauge as it is too fuzzy to make out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Ok so what your saying is turn the stat which is set into the cylinder down to minimum and that will do the trick

Yes. Stat off = valve off= no hot water . And that's probably as far as I can dumb it down so I hope it will suffice.

Yes. Stat off = valve off= no hot water . And that's probably as far as I can dumb it down so I hope it will suffice.

Perfect duming down Egass :D

dathi wrote: »
    in picture 8 in the utility room what is the reading on the pressure gauge as it is too fuzzy to make out

Its reading 5 psi out of a max 60 psi . this is low and prob not right :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Its reading 5 psi out of a max 60 psi . this is low and prob not right :eek:

OK come clean with us...... "square things, round things etc." you have being having fun haven't you?? :P

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    OK come clean with us...... "square things, round things etc." you have being having fun haven't you?? :P

How do you mean , i just read the circle gauge on pipe and its down to 5 psi .What should it be at

Should be around 15 / 20psi, but i can't for the life of me be bothered looking back at the pics to find your filling loop.....

Should be around 15 / 20psi, but i can't for the life of me be bothered looking back at the pics to find your filling loop.....

I will increase it so to 17 or so and what do you mean my filling loop

• Advertisement

If you know how to top it up then forget the filling loop bit.

If you know how to top it up then forget the filling loop bit.

Ok confessed again , when you say top up do you mean increase pressure . If so near the pressure clock ( i will call it ) is a black turn knob , i presume if i turn this is will increase the pressure yes ?/

yes

yes

ok just done this , i open it a bit and it shot up to 30 and wont drop back down even doh i closed it again

go bleed the rads................

Yes i would be only certain times of the day , also i have an electric shower .It just seemed a waste to be heating up water i was not using .And sure cant i turn it up again to 60c if required

So in summary . I turn down the stat to min which is 20c and i need do nothing else . And rads will get hotter , water get colder and happy days yea ??:D

Why don't you install a 3 channel programmer so you can time each zone individually. Put the heat where you want it when you want it.

go bleed the rads................

Will do , should water come out when i do ?? . as i have tried before and when water came out i just stopped . I stopped as i did not know how much water i could drain

So can you tell me

Ok confessed again , when you say top up do you mean increase pressure . If so near the pressure clock ( i will call it ) is a black turn knob , i presume if i turn this is will increase the pressure yes ?/

this black turn knob has A and C on it should it be more A or should it be more C at the moment i have it inbetween

its shane's turn!!

• Advertisement

its shane's turn!!

Just want to know which way is on and which way is off , dont care who tells me to be honest :rolleyes:

Advertisement