Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rat in potato pit

Options
  • 27-12-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

When getting potatos from my pit I noticed a hole (****)..
    A rat had gotten in and was there for a few days by the look of it .......I opened the pit a and threw everything out, bout 8 stone I'd say.....

How can I prevent this happening next year???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Have you a shed you could store them in? In boxes or paper bags off the ground maybe. You would have a better chance in getting the rodents before they get your grub then. I was reading about clamps etc lately and wouldn't be a fan at all precisely for the reason you're posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Frost protection is my issue.....thinking buring/ semi covering a plastic barrel next year? have a door opening to the front I only need them once every week or forthnight....that's how I didn't notice the hole for so long...

Never stored them myself, but I know it's not recommended to use plastic bags, you may have issues with the plastic barrel?

"Harvest in October, Store in boxes of damp sand or in a clamp" is how maincrop storage is described in "Vegetables for the Irish garden".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Never stored them myself, but I know it's not recommended to use plastic bags, you may have issues with the plastic barrel?

"Harvest in October, Store in boxes of damp sand or in a clamp" is how maincrop storage is described in "Vegetables for the Irish garden".

I'd imagine sweat or condensation would be the problem with plastic containers...

Maybe if the barrel was well perforated with holes small enough to keep rodents out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Get a cat

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Get a cat

no shortage of cats here but they are by far too well fed.... it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I remember years ago when we grew a couple acres of spuds they were stored ,after sorting, in a big heap in the corner of a shed and covered with paper meal bags or jute sacks to keep the light from them. I don't recall any rat problems though we always had plenty about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Eight stone of potatos isnt a huge amount - I would imagine they would keep pretty well if stored in a cool dark shed. Definately wouldnt put them in plastic barrel/bin - condensation. Burying them will encourage visiting rats I would have thought. What a bummer to loose your lovely spuds to a bloody rat 8-(

no shortage of cats here but they are by far too well fed.... it appears

Yeah, "normal" cats are pure useless. Have heard tell wilder cats are better, don't know, I prefer Rodex and Storm :D

I know 8 stone isn't a huge amount, but they would have kept us in spuds for another 6-8 weeks......they were golden wonders and sharps (tasty...)

Will consider building a timber bunker/box lined with chicken wire for next year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

I store mine in a shed, in an old metal water tank, with plastic sacks on top, no rat problem or sweating.

I can understand your being annoyed, 8 stone maybe only 2 bags, but the less you have of your own produce the more precious they are

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I know 8 stone isn't a huge amount, but they would have kept us in spuds for another 6-8 weeks......they were golden wonders and sharps (tasty...)

Will consider building a timber bunker/box lined with chicken wire for next year....

sorry, didnt mean to imply that 8 stone of potatos isnt important - just meant that they wouldnt take up too much room to store. I would be so fed up if I lost any of my crop to a rat - home grown potatoes are so delicious and such a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Storing veg is one pain in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We make our potato pit in an A shape and we cover it with a layer of soil. then we reinforce the side walls with a sheet of corrugated iron on each side to prevent the vermin from digging through. Then we cover that too with another layer of soil.

Lay some poison in the vicinity also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I heard them talking about rats/mice on the radio this morning and a woman rang in and said that she had acquired a ferret and that was the end of her rodent problem. apparently the smell alone is enough to frighten them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

This has reminded me of a blog post I read years ago which was a real eye-opener for me. Sort of a coming back down to earth about the realities of trying to grow all or most of your own food (after dreams of traipsing merrily through sun-drenched fields gathering beautiful veg in a basket to make dinner with, which isn't all that far from where I started my imaginings, if I'm honest). Anyway, since it's on the topic of potato storage, I thought I'd post the link. He's based on a croft in Scotland so not too dissimilar in terms of climate etc. It was shortly after reading that post that I heard of the book Root Cellaring, which is also excellent. And now I'll go back to daydreaming of what it'll be like when I finally get to move away from high-rise city living and/or save enough to get an allotment (they cost a lot here). <sigh> :)

Musings from a stonehead - storing potatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We store our few in a shed nowadays, with aeroboard stuck to the wall, covered with paper (crunch) bags, and carpet underlay. Keep shed well baited for rats.

In my grandparents time they used to pit spuds, cover them with straw, then soil with a layer of lime, which was supposed to deter rats. I remember the odd rat would get in and we'd have to pulp the affected spuds for cattle feed!. I know there was a tradition of getting a load of scraws from the bog to cover spuds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

You can still eat them

micraX wrote: »
    You can still eat them

You can still eat what?

The potatoes

• Advertisement

The potatoes

Sooner you than me!
    I would'nt be inclined to eat half eaten spuds the rat was after gnawing. We wouldn't be on for feeding these ones either, with the spread risk of Lepto.
    Anyway it's years since I've seen the issue.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Sooner you than me!
    I would'nt be inclined to eat half eaten spuds the rat was after gnawing. We wouldn't be on for feeding these ones either, with the spread risk of Lepto.
    Anyway it's years since I've seen the issue.

Not a chance I'd eat anything ratty had been crawling, pissing, ****ting over. Couldn't pay me enough money in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Not a chance I'd eat anything ratty had been crawling, pissing, ****ting over. Couldn't pay me enough money in fact.

But but but it would be full of ratty goodness. Think of the things you might be missing out on like weils disease. You could go your whole life without ever contracting something like that surely you should be paying for the to have some spuds and get a story to tell into the bargain.

I have and will continue to live a dull sheltered life :D

I have and will continue to live a dull sheltered life :D

Welcome to the club

But if it's eating one it was obviousy in the area and chances are it was running pissing etc over the rest of them, you'll hardly throw them all out.

I think the OP would disagree with you there.
    I would assume that all the spuds would be full of ratty goodness as you say the rat was probably all over them all. It's up to you if you want to eat them after that.

But if it's eating one it was obviousy in the area and chances are it was running pissing etc over the rest of them, you'll hardly throw them all out.

The whole lot, gone.

Ratty is a serious health risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

get some jack russell dogs they wipe out any rat families . You may have to clean up afterwards:D:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Noticed 2 rat holes near poultry house, baited each for 3 days, bait untouched on day 4. Two days later saw that each hole had been blocked with fresh soil, drawn from the ground about 30 cm away. The holes are inaccessible to any cat/dog, so wondering if this is some sort of rat behavior?

Advertisement