Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Was at the sale and this morning . Not as many as usual in kilkenny however there was a baby boom in 2010 when my daughter born and all the 3-4 yr clothes were gone at 06.05.
    However needless to say if I waited a while and picked up sone of the clothes people discarded onto the floor id get what I want.

Anyway the selection of clothes was not great this yr overall .
    If you wanted some picture frames or mens jumpers there were plenty. !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

same story in blackrock !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

monflat wrote: »
    Was at the sale and this morning . Not as many as usual in kilkenny however there was a baby boom in 2010 when my daughter born and all the 3-4 yr clothes were gone at 06.05.
    However needless to say if I waited a while and picked up sone of the clothes people discarded onto the floor id get what I want.

Anyway the selection of clothes was not great this yr overall .
    If you wanted some picture frames or mens jumpers there were plenty. !

I heard blanch was the same. My GF didn't go this time but last year she kitted out the little fella for less than penny's pricing. Her mate returned disappointed this year and she was in the first batch at opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Next sales tend to be an exercise in getting rid of the total crap that they have on their hands. There was a time around 2002 when their sales were excellent and all the clothes they would normally sell day to day were offered at 50% discounts. But then they started buying pure crap clothes specifically to put them 'on sale' when everyone knew they could never sell at the pre sales prices to begin with. Waste of time getting out of bed at 5am to go buy some crap, sure you can do that online 24/7 without the hassle of crowds and missed sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭uli84

no sale on next online for whatever reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Next sales tend to be an exercise in getting rid of the total crap that they have on their hands. There was a time around 2002 when their sales were excellent and all the clothes they would normally sell day to day were offered at 50% discounts. But then they started buying pure crap clothes specifically to put them 'on sale' when everyone knew they could never sell at the pre sales prices to begin with. Waste of time getting out of bed at 5am to go buy some crap, sure you can do that online 24/7 without the hassle of crowds and missed sleep

Totally agree. Was in their last "sale" in Kilkenny and all it was for menswear at least was one rail with a few gawdy, last season items usually not in my size. Surrounded by rail and rail of nice, full-price items not in the Sale at all. Defo not worth the bother and a load of hype over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

bladespin wrote: »
    Surprising how 'choice' is often quoted forgetting the so called 'choice' has meaning beyond just yourself, wonder if Muahahaha would so readily jump at working on St. Stephens day rather than spend it shopping with family.

Ah, but you see Muahahaha is one of the special people, and the people who work in Next are underclass filth who exist solely to cater for his/her whims and desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ah, but you see Muahahaha is one of the special people, and the people who work in Next are underclass filth who exist solely to cater for his/her whims and desires.

Er what, when did I ever say that the people who work in Next are underclass filth ? Stop putting words in my mouth, you don\t even know me, if you did then you'd know I worked in the pub and hotel industry for over 10 years and I worked my fair share of both Christmas Days and Stephens Days. Stephens Day is in one of the top five busiest days of the year for pubs, I never minded working it so long as it wasn't a split shift.

But at the end of the day this debate is all about choice and choices exist on both sides of the equation. Consumers can choose to not shop on Stephens Day and workers can choose not to work in jobs where they are required to work Stephens Day, its as simple as that. Like I said I did my fair share of working unsocial hours in my 20's but when I got to my 30's I got tired of it and changed career so I no longer have to work outside of Monday to Friday. If people in retail don't like their unsociable hours over Christmas then they need to get out of retail and into something else because one thing is for certain the market forces that demand shops open Stephens Day is not going to go away and more and more shops are going to be doing it from now on now that they know there is a good few quid to be made.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Muahahaha wrote: »

That's strange as the one in blanch, Dublin sells it's current stock during the sale. The other half is a keen shopper and knows what she is getting even before she goes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

kceire wrote: »
    That's strange as the one in blanch, Dublin sells it's current stock during the sale. The other half is a keen shopper and knows what she is getting even before she goes in.

Very little of it! I was a Next sale devotee but gave up when it became clear that the same crappy stock was shipped in sale after sale. Exceptions are underwear/giftsets/homewares and some kids stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

athtrasna wrote: »
    Very little of it! I was a Next sale devotee but gave up when it became clear that the same crappy stock was shipped in sale after sale. Exceptions are underwear/giftsets/homewares and some kids stuff.

Coming from someone who had to prep the stock every year, that's not the case. If you go in the days before the sale you can see the codes written on the tags for the sale. Not all the current stock is put in the sale and new phases obviously are kept at full price but its not specific "sale" stuff that goes in. It used to be horrible seeing people buy stuff at full price knowing the price it would be in the sale but they always wanted it as gifts or to wear as Christmas clothes and such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've seen the same hideously patterned jumpers in the last 3 winter sales in Next in Blanch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Things that aren't sold are sometimes put in the next one but it doesn't negate the fact that there's current stock in it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What? The sale was crap and your size wasn't available? wow never heard that before!

You have to hand it to Next, not a penny of a discount for 50 weeks of the year and then BAM sell it all off at 50% or less ASAP.

I stopped going when they opened St. Stephan's day, but then I refuse to shop on a Sunday.

Best day to shop the sale is 3 days after the first day around 11am when all the hard core Next queue hoggers return the best styles and sizes.

I did that last winter and got a mountain of age 4-5 girl's clothes, usually the first size to sell out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went in to the Limerick one Stephens day about 1 and there were onesies and not much else left,went in on the 28th and got a nice hoodie for the baby and a leggings and t shirt set for the big girl. Normally a day or 2 after the rush when people bring stuff back is a good time to go in but found it very disappointing this year and was shopping for 4 different ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Next sale on this week end. Don't think I can stir myself from bed to venture in. Have been disappointed the last two sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I went this year to maynooth and got 5 lovely outfits, 11 tops, 2 jumpers, 4 leggings, a hat, two onesies, 1 jacket all for a girl in sizes 4-5. Also got 2 single duvet covers only cost €215 and all the stuff is really nice. Got there at 7.00 and was out by 7.30. I could of hung around as people grab everything in one size then decide do they like so they leave them everywhere. But I had enough and I notice nobody on the queue so I just left. Normally you can be waiting in queue for 40+ min

I done bad in Xmas sale as got there at 7.30 so was delighted with this sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

What sort of discounts are on offer (20, 30, 40% ...) ? Is it worth my while heading out at this stage or will everything be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

johnnykilo wrote: »
    What sort of discounts are on offer (20, 30, 40% ...) ? Is it worth my while heading out at this stage or will everything be gone?

The missus mentioned something about re-stocking for another sell off tomorrow,I fear that I will be dragged along to it:(

It's 50%+ I got a lot of tops that were 7 reduced to 3. N leggings were 5 reduced to 1.25

If it's kids wear I wouldn't bother. It's not as big as the Xmas sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

It was mens shirts for work I'd be looking for. Any decent discounts on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

It was mens shirts for work I'd be looking for. Any decent discounts on them?

I only saw rubbish on sale for mens. Shirts were €13 all black and all navy. Do you look on m & s for work shirts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Went in today and seen nothing, was hoping for a few pairs of jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelld2010

Anyone know if Next put more sale stock out today? Or was it just what was left from yesterday?

Shelld2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Next put more sale stock out today? Or was it just what was left from yesterday?

Have never heard of restocking in this sale begore. Try back on Tuesday as staff are expecting returns so you might pick something up!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

No new stock was put out today and any sale stock brought back from tuesday on is sent back and not put back out on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelld2010

viv2 wrote: »
    No new stock was put out today and any sale stock brought back from tuesday on is sent back and not put back out on sale.

I wonder why they send them back and don't try to sell them off.

I mean returns from people who just go mad in the sale! Like for instant I just grabbed grabbed and grabbed then found a little spot and sorted in shop but some people just wait til they go home and sort! I wouldn't be bothering trying to sell on! I got loads of baby clothes but didn't realise the jeans I got were skinny jeans lol so am planning on going in on Tuesday to see are there any dungarees and if so will swop if not I might just keep them!

I think it's only advertised as a 3 day sale. I brought back two tops today as they were bit short already and I want them for next year! Wasn't much left to be honest just few bits that weren't nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Because they have next clearance stores that they send the stock to.

Advertisement