Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next sale

Options
  • 24-12-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi does anyone know what date the next sale starts in Ireland please?

Thank you and merry Christmas xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

They typically begin their instore sale at 5/6am on St. Stephen's Day

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

El_Drago wrote: »
    They typically begin their instore sale at 5/6am on St. Stephen's Day

Whoever decided to open the shops at that time deserves to be shot in the head on behalf of the staff who have to work it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Whoever decided to open the shops at that time deserves to be shot in the head on behalf of the staff who have to work it.

They used to wait until the 27th but since last year (and the year before,I think) they brought it a day forward.When the doors fly open the sight is reminiscent of what you'd see on Black Friday clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hayleyg1980

This is our first Christmas in Ireland but in the uk it was always 5am Boxing Day. But they'd only let let in certain number of people at a time. If it's mad I might just stay in bed this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

there should be no sales on stephens day, ridiculous........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wouldn't worry too much about them. My mate in there tells me they volunteer to do it. They get over triple time and a lot of little extras along with first pick on sale items plus staff discount on top.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

It's 6am in most stores, saw the sign today.

Ginny wrote: »
    It's 6am in most stores, saw the sign today.

Has been 5am for the last 3 years, summer sale included too. Wonder why they've changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

kceire wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about them. My mate in there tells me they volunteer to do it. They get over triple time and a lot of little extras along with first pick on sale items plus staff discount on top.

God i nearly chocked reading that. As if lol.

I think it changed in 2009 when the 27th was a sunday, they always open sale day for 12 hours but with the trading hrs in the UK different to here that wouldnt have been allowed so they brought it forward a day.

Has been 5am for the last 3 years, summer sale included too. Wonder why they've changed it.
    No it hasnt.

your wrong on everything tonight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

The sale has started on the UK site (use parcel motel) if anyone feels they really need to shop the next sale. Next started a bad precedent by opening on St Stephens day...now loads of stores are opening:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does Next do an online sale for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

A sales assistant in the limerick cresent store said it was 12noon on Stephens day for the first time ever in Ireland. Usually it's ridiculous o clock on the 27th.

viv2 wrote: »
    No it hasnt.

your wrong on everything tonight ;)

It was 5am last year on the 27th. I was in the que and let into the store in the first batch of customers.

In 2010, it started at 4am in dundrum centre.

It was 5am last year on the 27th. I was in the que and let into the store in the first batch of customers.

In 2010, it started at 4am in dundrum centre.

Not every store was open at 5am. Bigger stores open earlier.
    Last year it opened on the 26th not the 27th.

viv2 wrote: »
    Not every store was open at 5am. Bigger stores open earlier.
    Last year it opened on the 26th not the 27th.

I never said every store did. You said I was wrong, so maybe don't be so quick to judge. Blanch store was open at 5am and it also opened at a similar time during the summer sales event as the gf got out if bed at 3am to go up and que.

Anyway mute point, can't live in the past. This years sale is 6am according to a previous poster so that's all that matters. Happy hunting shoppers, I won't make this one. I'm smashed after the River Island and Dunnes online sales :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Triple time was one year when it fell on a particular holiday/bank holiday or something like that, can't remember exactly but it was triple for that one year only. They don't volunteer, at least in the one I worked in, you're allocated your hours and are expected to work any hours they give, you also cant book holidays in the two or three weeks either side of Christmas. Last year it was something like time and a third or something like that and unsocial hours for roughly two hours depending on when you're in. They get first pick of sale items yeah but not discount on top of sale price, and they pick these items when they are prepping for sale on Christmas Eve, some years not getting out til about eight. Add to that the cost of driving or taxi as theres no buses at crazy o clock on Christmas/ Stephens day morning.

I'm not making them out to be martyrs, its all part of the job and they're getting paid for it, I'm just saying I'm so ****ing happy to be off at Christmas for the first time in years!! :D its the first Christmas I won't be going to bed at eight or nine o clock because I have to be up for a mental shift the next day!

Be nice to them if you do go, they work really hard on sale day and give up time with family and friends over their whole Christmas for that one day of madness, and then clean up for days after!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Tasden wrote: »
    Triple time was one year when it fell on a particular holiday/bank holiday or something like that, can't remember exactly but it was triple for that one year only. They don't volunteer, at least in the one I worked in, you're allocated your hours and are expected to work any hours they give, you also cant book holidays in the two or three weeks either side of Christmas. Last year it was something like time and a third or something like that and unsocial hours for roughly two hours depending on when you're in. They get first pick of sale items yeah but not discount on top of sale price, and they pick these items when they are prepping for sale on Christmas Eve, some years not getting out til about eight. Add to that the cost of driving or taxi as theres no buses at crazy o clock on Christmas/ Stephens day morning.

I'm not making them out to be martyrs, its all part of the job and they're getting paid for it, I'm just saying I'm so ****ing happy to be off at Christmas for the first time in years!! :D its the first Christmas I won't be going to bed at eight or nine o clock because I have to be up for a mental shift the next day!

Be nice to them if you do go, they work really hard on sale day and give up time with family and friends over their whole Christmas for that one day of madness, and then clean up for days after!

Very well said. Enjoy Xmas off this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Earendil wrote: »
    Very well said. Enjoy Xmas off this year.

Thank you, I will indeed, happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Would really love to see Stephens Day Sales banned in ireland. Has further cheapened and eroded Christmas as a family holiday. I find it very sad that we can only have now one day of the year where shops are not open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

road_high wrote: »
    Would really love to see Stephens Day Sales banned in ireland. Has further cheapened and eroded Christmas as a family holiday. I find it very sad that we can only have now one day of the year where shops are not open.

If you don't want to see Stephens Day sales then don't go to one. And why inflict your opinions on those members of the public who do want the shops to be open Stephens Day ? Lots of families enjoy the day out shopping so I don't see what the problem is in giving people the choice of weather they want to go shopping or not rather than have a non-choice inflicted upon them by a people who want to stick to tradition to the detriment of others pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

Next uk site does not deliver to Parcel Motel, has to be uk residential address.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you don't want to see Stephens Day sales then don't go to one. And why inflict your opinions on those members of the public who do want the shops to be open Stephens Day ? Lots of families enjoy the day out shopping so I don't see what the problem is in giving people the choice of weather they want to go shopping or not rather than have a non-choice inflicted upon them by a people who want to stick to tradition to the detriment of others pleasure.

I think he's thinking more about the people who are forced into working.

And even so, if families want to go shopping together, does waiting an extra day really hurt? Surely they could use the other 300+ days of the year, either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

not everyone gives a sh!te about Christmas.

does anyone have a link to confirm times?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

not everyone gives a sh!te about Christmas.

does anyone have a link to confirm times?

Go onto individual shopping centres website and it should tell you. Dundrum is open at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Any other shops have good sales tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Muahahaha wrote: »

Unfortunately, the staff have to stay on till 10pm xmas eve to get items ready for sale. Not much of a break for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Unfortunately, the staff have to stay on till 10pm xmas eve to get items ready for sale. Not much of a break for them.

Surprising how 'choice' is often quoted forgetting the so called 'choice' has meaning beyond just yourself, wonder if Muahahaha would so readily jump at working on St. Stephens day rather than spend it shopping with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

Anyone know the sale times for either Blanch or Liffey Valley tomorrow?
    Is it 6am across all stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Anyone know the sale times for either Blanch or Liffey Valley tomorrow?
    Is it 6am across all stores?

Times are on the website next.co.uk

Advertisement