Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

First pic of kimi in the ferrari gear.
    I like the shirt but its a bit weird with Santander on it seeing as they paid kimi to leave ferrari in the first place.
    140101_kimi_1260x512-630x256.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd be both an Alonso fan, & a Kimi fan...& as much as the Ferrari lineup works on paper...I can't see it working in reality. I really doubt they'll be team-mates come 2015

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd be both an Alonso fan, & a Kimi fan...& as much as the Ferrari lineup works on paper...I can't see it working in reality. I really doubt they'll be team-mates come 2015

I'll call it now, Ferrari won't be in the top 3 constructors next year. Even with those 2 drivers I have a feeling the car is going to be really rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'll call it now, Ferrari won't be in the top 3 constructors next year. Even with those 2 drivers I have a feeling the car is going to be really rubbish.

I'm not so sure, it really will depend on the engines and how the teams cope with them.

Plenty of rumours were doing the rounds that Ferraris engine was below par etc, but those have switched around now, from what I have read on other forums.

I would give them a fighting chance, with James Allison on board now as well, they could well spring a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Can we quote you on this at the end of the season? ;-)

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »
    Can we quote you on this at the end of the season? ;-)

I'm hoping it'll be me quoting it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

With the new rules, every team is starting with a fresh sheet of paper. As for Ferrari, the biggest problem they had was the upgrades they bought to races for the past few years didn't work.

They have their wind tunnel sorted out, and with James Alison working in aero and having the car designed by Rory Byrne, Ferrari should have a very good car this year IMO.

Remember last time everyone started with a blank sheet of paper? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Remember last time everyone started with a blank sheet of paper? ;)

Except Ross Brawn is no longer around (for the time being anyway) but Adrian Newey still is. Does that mean several more years of Red Bull dominance? I hope not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    With the new rules, every team is starting with a fresh sheet of paper. As for Ferrari, the biggest problem they had was the upgrades they bought to races for the past few years didn't work.

They have their wind tunnel sorted out, and with James Alison working in aero and having the car designed by Rory Byrne, Ferrari should have a very good car this year IMO.

I would second that. I am excited for Ferrari this year. I think the car is going to be a big improvement. My concerns are around the driver lineup. If Alonso or Kimi start to fall behind one another, will it see them taking risks on the track, which would damage Ferrari? Also, team orders that we know Ferrari use, are not going to work with these drivers. Alonso is stubborn and Kimi just wont listen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

logik wrote: »
    I would second that. I am excited for Ferrari this year. I think the car is going to be a big improvement. My concerns are around the driver lineup. If Alonso or Kimi start to fall behind one another, will it see them taking risks on the track, which would damage Ferrari? Also, team orders that we know Ferrari use, are not going to work with these drivers. Alonso is stubborn and Kimi just wont listen to them.

Yes me too. I think they should be much more competitive this year.

I don't think Kimi would have returned to Ferrari if he thought there was any possibility of him being asked to play second fiddle to Alonso. Plus, Alonso's criticism of the team last year didn't do him any favours either.

Lotus are going to miss the first test:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112041

I have a bad feeling about Lotus, they're struggling financially and even Maldonado's money may not be enough to see them through to the end of 2014.

Lotus really look in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Looks like Hulk got out of jail there...

While its not a good sign, I don't think Lotus are going to be the only team to miss the first test. This is further proof that the costs are too high in F1 and the season maybe too long for teams.

Mercedes to launch their new car at Jerez on the 28th of January.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Mercedes to launch their new car at Jerez on the 28th of January.

Expecting BIG things from this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

While its not a good sign, I don't think Lotus are going to be the only team to miss the first test. This is further proof that the costs are too high in F1 and the season maybe too long for teams.

I don't think the length of the seasons are what put Lotus in trouble. They were in the red before the 3/4 mark of the season so that't what, 14/15 races out of the 19? Sauber were screwed since June so even back in 2003, both of them wouldn't have made the full season. I think it's the economic climate that's really leading to a team exiting F1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

It may have been the case in recent years that missing the first test wasn't such a big deal (I'm nearly sure RedBull made a habit of this, but with the complete overhaul of regulations this year, it could really damage them.

A good article here from Craig Scarborough on the topic..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112045

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Killinator

Via Twitter:

McLaren reveal announced for Friday 24th of January at 12 midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Love this time of year...all the excitement of what new cars will look like :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Zcott wrote: »
    Love this time of year...all the excitement of what new cars will look like :-)

I'm the same. Although the term "spear noses" I've been reading about has sent a shiver down my spine!! I remember January 2012 and watching the unveiling of the step noses in horror!! I don't want a repeat. Call me shallow, but looks count in my book:-)

I am expecting cars along the lines of the Brawn GP car but slightly narrower.

I am expecting cars along the lines of the Brawn GP car but slightly narrower.

Careful now, some of the early renderings doing the rounds are quite horrific. I was also hoping for a Brawn-esque style approach, but it would seem there is a way around it and the cars are looking odd, quite odd.

Have a look on the autosport forum, they are plenty of images there, and make sure you are sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

There's a lot of debate, and quite a lot of worry around the new nose regulations for this year.

The big issue is the lowering of and narrowing of the nose end, which has lead to many technical analysts drawing some of the most ugly noses since Williams "walrus" nose of 2004.
    williams-fw24.jpg

The designs center on the lowering of the forward chassis height, 100mm lower than last years 625mm and the lowering of the nose tip height to 185mm from the reference plane.

What designers have to work with is a set of boxes where bodywork can and can't be.
    BY9-nDACAAAr9-h.jpg:large

Now, what follows is a rake of designs which fit the regs, and may well be seen this year.
    BcHTkiFIcAAIpXZ.jpg:large
    This Saber-tooth design is quite interesting. It just about complies with the regs, and does seem quite similar to the 2004 Williams.
    Bc5YlYZCcAAA6d4.jpg
    2014+SMOOTH+NOSE+x2.jpg
    1384270378.jpg
    2014+Hook+Nose.jpg
    2014+SMOOTH+NOSE+x3.jpg
    2014+Anteater.jpg
    2014+WALRUS+x2.jpg
    This Lower Wedge design pushes the limit as to what is a nose tip, and what isn't.
    BbXZSzGCIAApH3r.jpg:large
    This is a rendering by Craig Scarborough of this years Caterham nose. Caterham released footage of the first FIA crash test, which left a very detailed wall imprint from where the nose impacted the wall. From that, it's quite easy to see the extremities of the nose construction.
    BbX2gHECYAAmzeQ.jpg:large

To read up more abut this years regulations, read Matt Somerfields blog post about it.

Images courtesy of Craig Scarborough and Matt Somerfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

If a man takes his lad out in public, it's perverted.

Bob puts his knob on view to millions around the world and it's "aerodynamics". Yea, suuuuuuuuure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Some of those sketches make the 04 Williams look good:-( some of them are actually worse than the step noses imo. I'm sure there will be some variation at least. Adrian Newry has already said the new cars will be ugly.

• Advertisement

If a man takes his lad out in public, it's perverted.

Bob puts his knob on view to millions around the world and it's "aerodynamics". Yea, suuuuuuuuure :rolleyes:

Who peed in your cornflakes? :eek:

Advertisement