Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smallholding in ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

its a farmer who does big farming and trys to buy every single centometre of land in their area and slaughters trees and hegerows and has to much money wich is no good to them there better off going on a holiday to namibia and trowing there money away

thats a fair auld chip on the shoulder against large farming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

theres alot of those type of farmers around and then there the normal type of large farmer wich dont do the above

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

theres alot of those type of farmers around and then there the normal type of large farmer wich dont do the above

I am confused. Are you talking about English or Irish farms?
    Are your experiences based on Ireland or England ?
    I think you will find that generally both countries farm very differently.
    Irish has smaller more family farming no real corporate farms. We do very little tillage so mainly grass farming for beef/dairy.
    This is a rambling confusing post op.

ireland

i m going to change the direction of this fourom a bit and focus it on the original topics

• Advertisement

this year getting people to work for you was shocking there was so many lazy people we couldnt even clean out a drain or build a shed
    thanks to that stupid hot weather we were better offa t 15 degreees al summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

No problems getting work done round here..

I find its easier to get stuff done when your not running round calling people lazy and landgrabbers and going on about how great the set up in the UK is, funny the way that sort of thing grates on people..

well we got alot of people to try to do jobs for us and the didnt bother coming and doing them people in youre area bbam probaly a better type of workers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭OldRio

well we got alot of people to try to do jobs for us and the didnt bother coming and doing them people in youre area bbam probaly a better type of workers

Go on, I'll have a nibble.

If you want to employee people to do work for ye you must have money. No wonder you want a grant.
    Most of us who have small amounts of land cannot afford to employee people and do all the work ourselves. It takes time and effort but what you get is reward. Throwing cash (your own or the governments) does not equate to good practice.

ya but we had a bit of money we were going to spend at least 500 to get the place cleaned up and running but like i said people in all of your communitys are probaly better workers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

ya but we had a bit of money we were going to spend at least 500 to get the place cleaned up and running but like i said people in all of your communitys are probaly better workers

You may often be waiting for good people I find. But it depends in the job - building a wall can often wait, cutting silag can't :)

You have to be realistic too. You wanted a drain cleared and a shed built, an had 500 euro to spend? 500 doesn't go far, especially if you have to get machinery to clean a drain. A big machine could easily be 500 / day.

Anyways, maybe I am being harsh saying this, but maybe your attitude comes across in your dealings? (The things are better in the UK type thing you have put across on here)

the drain woyuld be cleaned out by a small rented out digger or a person with a digger it would cost about 200 n top of the 500
    so it would be around a thousand to get the place going

If you found that lots of people were too lazy to work for you , I'd bet the problem was you not them.
    You will find one or two unreliable but not them all.
    You either were not paying the going rate or are considered too difficult to bother with!
    In small communities, if you have an 'attitude ' everyone will be aware of that in no time and will avoid you.
    If I'm honest, you come across as a very unpleasant person on here and have a very strong ireland v England thing going on which will really grate on people.
    It makes me want to say' if Ireland is so bad, go back to England were things are brilliant '.
    The reality is every country has its pros and cons. While Ireland is mostly English speaking, it really has a very separate culture and history from England or Europe.
    Ireland is not England, England is England.

marizpan wrote: »
    If you found that lots of people were too lazy to work for you , I'd bet the problem was them.:corrected:
    You will find one or two unreliable but not them all.
    You either were not paying the going rate or are considered too difficult to bother with!
    In small communities, if you have an 'attitude ' everyone will be aware of that in no time and will avoid you.
    If I'm honest, you come across as a very unpleasant person on here and have a very strong ireland v England thing going on which will really grate on people.
    It makes me want to say' if Ireland is so bad, go back to England were things are brilliant '.
    The reality is every country has its pros and cons. While Ireland is mostly English speaking, it really has a very separate culture and history from England or Europe.
    Ireland is not England, England is England.

we even got people from other areas in galway and offaly same big deal again and they werent in our community plus very little people around my area can do those kind of things so wed nearly be better off doing t ourselves but its hard to do it ourselves i would have liked a few people to work for us cleaning out sheds cutting trees etc even some of the people we offered them work for a while ran of like egits to england and etc other countrys and got no job we could have also gave them a nice dinner too only they never came same thing again this was mostly in the summer and coming into the winter shocking isnt it

Were you willing to pay the going rate?

I have never experienced what you have described.

ya but they never came back to do the work or get paid.. the sheds are diffrent story the shed was to dear 2000 euro so were getting local to build it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

ya but they never came back to do the work or get paid.. the sheds are diffrent story the shed was to dear 2000 euro so were getting local to build it

Maybe I'm wrong but was it hard labour you wanted the lazy people to do. Cleaning sheds with a grape and the like. If it's a job for machinery it's the local contractor you need to see and in my experience they're not lazy.
    If it's a job for manual labour you need to pay a fair rate. The best part of €100 a day would be needed for a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I can't figure out if this fella has had 12 drinks or is 12 years old ...............
    or is just an annoying see you next Tuesday

i dont mean big sheds i mean old stables and cow sheds small like the the original sheds
    also most of the people we tried to get didnt even come to our place and look at the sheds
    and a hundred or less is around the price they wanted for the job .so i spent a good week of the summer and i did the job myself butthers one shed that we couldnt clean out because we didndt have the tools because the lock in our shed seized. the drain is really bad nowand its turning into a small stream river the rushy field is very bad were annoyed more about the drain
    because yould get sucked into a swallow hole etc get stuck or worse drown if you went near parts of the drain it was always like this since 1990s but it got worse from the storm

this is officialy a smalllholding issues post i dont mean fourom or sticky etc

• Advertisement

why isnt there anyone on

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

Depending on what your setup is like you might find WWOOF.ie (if you are organic) or HelpX.net useful for some of the stuff you need doing.

i went on woof before but it wasnt in my interests helpx.net alright website but complicated in putting stuff because my computer banjaxed a bit but thanks for advice

i dont need help now but this thread will be for smallholders to discuss stuff

Advertisement