Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO world championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Inner City Hedgehog

Well I had my suspicions about you... That's just confirmed it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nUpqZwc-ak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Oh I apologise. Conclusive proof that, the only man in the world to ever hit a 170 checkout.

Oh I apologise. Conclusive proof that, the only man in the world to ever hit a 170 checkout.
    Ted Hankey has won two world titles. For you to claim that he wasn't the best player in the world at his peak is laughable. He destroyed the field at the 2000 World Championship.

Ted Hankey has won two world titles. For you to claim that he wasn't the best player in the world at his peak is laughable. He destroyed the field at the 2000 World Championship.
    Well laugh away my friend. Do you think he was the best in the world in 2009?

Well laugh away my friend. Do you think he was the best in the world in 2009?
    He won the world title, so yes. And he proved it when he met Phil Taylor at the Grand Slam.

Who won that match again?

• Advertisement

He won the world title, so yes. And he proved it when he met Phil Taylor at the Grand Slam.

Who won that match again?
    Lol. Am I right in saying that you think Bunting is now the best in the world?

Lol. Am I right in saying that you think Bunting is now the best in the world?
    What do you think?

What do you think?
    I think he's not even in the top 10 and I'm being generous limiting it to 10.

I think he's not even in the top 10 and I'm being generous limiting it to 10.
    World Champion, World Master without dropping a set, world number one. Ypu can't do any more than that to prove that you're the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's sneaky how they don't pay out the prize money until the 22nd. Robbie Green said on Twitter when asked about moving back to PDC that he couldn't afford to run the risk of not getting his Lakeside money.

Bunting apparently announced at the championship dinner last night that he'll be back to defend the title in 2015.

It's a disgrace is what it is.
    Surely they can sue or why would they sign a contract like that in the first place.
    Hankey has still managed to beat Taylor, van Barneveld and Whitlock in recent years despite his health issues.

The best in the world at his peak.

Would you go away, your trolling isn't funny in any way.

• Advertisement

It's up to the likes of van Gerwen and Wright to prove they can mix it with the best by trying their luck in the BDO.

Both failed to ever win a match when they played at Lakeside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

lol inner city hedgehog you are having a laugh, i suppose jan dekker is the best dutch player this year aswell
    martin adams has now multiple accounts on boards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

go home wolfie your drunk!!!:pac:
    sc86 wrote: »
    lol inner city hedgehog you are having a laugh, i suppose jan dekker is the best dutch player this year aswell
    martin adams has now multiple accounts on boards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's up to the likes of van Gerwen and Wright to prove they can mix it with the best by trying their luck in the BDO.

Both failed to ever win a match when they played at Lakeside.

Now you see you're just being too obvious now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The PDC is a completely different beast to the BDO. In recent years, the most successful people who jumped after sustained tenures in the BDO are Gary Anderson, Simon Whitlock and Robert Thornton. You probably wouldn't have picked them on paper, with not a Lakeside Championship between them, but it's more dependent on whether people can keep a consistently high level performance on a full-time basis or, as is the case with the likes of Webster and Winstanley, can beat the world's best at their peak but then regress to the mean and become a solid top 32 player most of the time.

That's why it's not even close whether the PDC or BDO success is a better gauge of talent: the PDC quickly sees who the players capable of thriving like a pro are, and who are merely capable of greatness on occasion. Both Bunting and Norris are perfect examples of the latter - neither have the list of achievements that match their peak talent, even in the BDO which doesn't nearly have the depth of the PDC. I suspect they'd win a few floor titles for the latter and maybe the odd TV quarter- or semi-final, but that's about it. Nothing to sneeze at, mind, if you can just make a decent living at darts you're doing well. But a far cry from being the best in the world.

did bunting not enter the uk open last year and get hammerd in early rounds?

did bunting not enter the uk open last year and get hammerd in early rounds?
    Won a few games against poor opposition and then got a hiding off Peter Wright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

Most of ye on here think its a matter of picking up a dart and you'll do well in the BDO but you must play darts 24/7 to make it in the PDC.

It doesn't work that way.

As someone who has played darts and struggled to get consistency into my game it is very hard to play darts well.You either have it or you dont.

This debate has been ongoing every year since I started following both championships. Sid was throwing digs at the BDO's 'pub darts' in early 2006 when the likes of Whitlock, Barney, and Ando were playing at lakeside and when the likes of Roland scholten,Andy jenkins, and Wayne Jones were making the latter stages of tournaments along with Colin Lloyd winning majors.

The PDC has been of great benefit to darts in its organization and promotion but as we have seen this supposed gulf in class does not exist. 5/8 players in the 2008 GSOD quarter finals came from the BDO over the previous 12-18 months and a bdo player has won the event along with a past-his-best ted hankey making 2 quarter finals beating Barney, Taylor, Whitlock and MVG along the way.I could also point to PDC players beating BDO counterparts oer the years but thats seen as a given by some. In the summer of 2005 I can recall someone saying that Barney wouldnt make the top 20 in the PDC.We know how that went.

All 4 of the 2014 PDC/BDO finalists all have one thing in common.They struggled for form in 2009/2010, have had to be patient in getting their game right. Neither organization has it any easier than the other.The top level of both is extremely tough to break but they have all shown clear improvement and are some of the best players in the world. The fact that MVG/Wright was playing PDC players meant they had to raise their game to succeed, as did bunting/norris in the BDO.

Its become clear from watching both worlds recently that players can often take a 4/5 year timeframe before they succeed.

Their is journeymen in both codes. Sky go on with their best in the world schtick like they do with the barclays premier league but their is still poor players that feature. Not every player is going to be a potential winner.The same goes for any sport.

Was a very good Lakeside in the latter stages and a decent final. Congrats to Stephen Bunting.

how come hes allowed in that?
    think robbie green was in it aswell
    surprised the bdo dont cut there arm off for entering it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

how come hes allowed in that?
    think robbie green was in it aswell
    surprised the bdo dont cut there arm off for entering it

I think the key diffeence is its a completely open event, you don't need to be on the PDC tour to play it.

Everyone from county league level up enters it, BDO would have no-one left if they started banning the particapants.

• Advertisement

We should have a PDC and BDO argument for the (insert pretty high number) year in a row.

Who knows, maybe this year someone will come up with the post that proves everything one way or another!

Since 1994, there have been 31 sub-70 averages in the PDC world championship while there have been only 4 in the BDO, with one of those being the injured Martin Atkins this year.

Gulf in class indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Since 1994, there have been 31 sub-70 averages in the PDC world championship while there have been only 4 in the BDO, with one of those being the injured Martin Atkins this year.

Gulf in class indeed.

Do hedgehogs not hibernate.

Any chance you'd go away for a couple of months!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Gulf in class indeed.

If you wanna troll, people can easily just troll back and say, "Come back to me when your champion can throw a double 5".

But we don't. Everyone posting here likes the BDO. We're posting here because we watched the tournament. And, for all that's said, there aren't many saying the top 8-16 in the BDO couldn't compete in the PDC. But it just doesn't have the same depth. Sorry, it just doesn't. There's no amount of skewed facts you can find that pass the eye test. It's visible to all just by virtue of simple things like the above point. 2-dart checkouts become assumed 3-dart checkouts (oft by choice because the 'top players' don't feel confident enough in their own darts) even in the final of their worlds.

To hammer the point home, you're literally the only person here claiming the BDO has a higher standard. It's not funny, it's not clever and it's not true. You're only succeeding in making a mockery of any decent points you may raise in the future with blatant mistruths like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think the point most people are trying to make is if the bdo was better run all those great players would have stayed where they were and not jumped ship, i think darts overall would be better off under one body but when you have guy's unwilling to compromise or get with the times it will suffer and thats exactly whats happening with the bdo at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Most, of not all players in the BDO, Waites for example play Darts part time while holding down a full time job. The standard is definitely lower than the PDC, because the PDC lads play Darts full time, they spend 7-8 hours a day at it. The BDO players can't afford to do it, hence the lower standard. To be honest from watching a bit of the BDO final, I would have no hesitation in saying that both Norris and Bunting could be top 32 at a push top 16 PDC material. Checkouts especially under pressure were outstanding I thought. Throw in Scott Waites too. The problem is, around the 32 in the PDC is likely to mean you coming out with less money than had you stayed with your job in terms of travel expenses etc. I think you have to ask how good could the likes of Waites be in the PDC if he had 7-8 hours a day to practice? He's proved himself against the best of the PDC by winning the grand slam. In fairness thought the BDO championship was very decent this year,but still lags behind the PDC in terms of standard

shockframe wrote: »

The PDC has been of great benefit to darts in its organization and promotion but as we have seen this supposed gulf in class does not exist.

More nonsense.

Of course it exists.

This year at Lakeside Bunting got the first 100+ average in 6 years.
    I'm not even bothered checking how many there has been in the PDC in that time but I'd imagine it's over 30.

Compare the amount of 9 darters, big finishes, anything you want and the PDC comes out on top every time.

Yes there are some talented players in the BDO who could make a good go of it if they switched, especially after going full time and getting more tv time.

If you put any of the PDC top 8 or maybe even more in the BDO world championships they would be the bookies favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

mdwexford wrote: »
    More nonsense.

Of course it exists.

This year at Lakeside Bunting got the first 100+ average in 6 years.
    I'm not even bothered checking how many there has been in the PDC in that time but I'd imagine it's over 30.

Compare the amount of 9 darters, big finishes, anything you want and the PDC comes out on top every time.

Yes there are some talented players in the BDO who could make a good go of it if they switched, especially after going full time and getting more tv time.

If you put any of the PDC top 8 or maybe even more in the BDO world championships they would be the bookies favourite

Great post except for this because instantly I think of two in the top 8 eight who I would not put as favourite. They are Dave Chisnall and Wes Newton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Even Alan Norris says the BDO is not on a par with the PDC so to claim it is superior is madness:

“They’ve enjoyed it and that’s the
    main thing. There’s always a
    comparison between the BDO and
    PDC about the comparison of darts
    but I think this past week has
    shown we’re not that far off."

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Alan-Norris-believes-BDO-World-Darts/story-20436269-detail/story.html

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    Great post except for this because instantly I think of two in the top 8 eight who I would not put as favourite. They are Dave Chisnall and Wes Newton.

I knew people might think that and it went through my head as well but both of them generally average high 90s and would certainly take a bit of beating in the BDO.

They wouldn't be far off fav for sure, I'd certainly make Chizzy fav if he played.

Advertisement