Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO world championship 2014

Options
  • 16-12-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Whats your thoughts on above,well behind the PDC but hopefully there will be good games any maybe a few extra Irish to cheer along.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Whats your thoughts on above,well behind the PDC but hopefully there will be good games any maybe a few extra Irish to cheer along.

Only Irish interest is Michael Meaney playing Harley Kemp in the preliminary round for the right to play Ross Montgomery.

If Martin Adams wins his preliminary round he will play Tony O'Shea in round 1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Bunting will surely have a big say in who wins it this year.
    although personally I'd love to see Tony o'Shea win it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I have been hoping that Tony O;Shea would win it for years now but unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to happen for him. It's between Bunting and Waites for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,541 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Looking forward to it, its always enjoyable. Just hope that this thread doesnt turn into the annual 'BDO is $hite' thread that pops up every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

KevIRL wrote: »
    Looking forward to it, its always enjoyable. Just hope that this thread doesnt turn into the annual 'BDO is $hite' thread that pops up every year

Personally I like it, not the level of the PDC but thankfully it doesn't have the same amount of razzle dazzle as the PDC which has gone a bit Hollywood for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

much more enjoyable than the PDC

It needs a "boring boring tables" chant!

The gulf between it and the PDC is growing, sadly, but Bunting and Waites are fine players and O'Shea will be a crowd favourite as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

If Martin Adams wins his preliminary round he will play Tony O'Shea in round 1 :)

Martin Adams has to qualify? I don't really keep up with the BDO, has he had a terrible couple of years or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Martin Adams has to qualify? I don't really keep up with the BDO, has he had a terrible couple of years or something?

Very bad 18 months - he found it tough to handle his triple role of BDO Director, England Captain, and Mr. Loverman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Very bad 18 months - he found it tough to handle his triple role of BDO Director, England Captain, and Mr. Loverman.

Mr Loverman??? Was he doing the dirty on poor Sharon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Always look forward to Lakeside every January. While there may be a higher standard in the PDC Worlds I consider Lakeside more enjoyable and with 99% of the attendance genuine darts fans not like the ridiculous carry on in Ally Pally where it seems to be turned into an arena for fancy dress christmas parties!

Scott Waites the defending champion is 100/30 in Paddy Power to regain his title but faces a tricky opening tie against Alan Norris and personally I wouldn't be surprised if Norris dethrones the champion. Bunting,James Wilson and O'Shea will also be among the favourites to lift the title. Robbie Green is a player who I reckon has a great chance of winning the title. For an outsider Glen Durrant could cause an upset or 2,has had a very good year on the BDO circuit.

Lakeside begins on January 4th and continues till January 12th. There is an increased field in both the mens and ladies with 40 men participating and 16 ladies lining up. For the first time ever there will be afternoon sessions on the Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday.

BBC will be covering the whole tournament live with live coverage of the afternoon sessions daily on the mainstream channels and the evening sessions covered on the red button with late night highlights on the mainstrem channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mr Loverman??? Was he doing the dirty on poor Sharon?

Yep, they split up about 15 months ago, she wasn't at the Lakeside last year.
    Various rumours of the blame being on both sides affair wise - all terribly boring stuff obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm hopping firmly on the Bunting bandwagon same as last year where he got mugged.

This is the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Have a bet on 6th seed Jan Dekker at 66/1,a small bit of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Dekker was only surpassed by Richie George last year as the worst semi finalist of recent times at the Lakeside and if he were to win then the standard overall would be at an all time low. He played in the Grand Slam of Darts twice due to his fluke run to the semis, losing every match I think and winning about 4 legs each year in 3 best of 9 legs matches.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to agree, Dekker has always looked like a pretty poor player to me. I've never seen him play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Is it true they are bringing back Martin Fitz.......as a warm up act to the main event ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Yep, Dekker has never impressed me. Wesley Harms looks a far more competent player.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Is it true they are bringing back Martin Fitz.......as a warm up act to the main event ;)

If he's the warm up, the main event must be David Duke singing a tribute to Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭leoch

are use talking about "the coat" this must be the coolest name in darts ...and yes ur right he couldnt throw up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

liam7831 wrote: »

Hope not....can't stand him. Used to hate when Martin Adam's came out and they were all over each other. Any other players he would struggle to even manage a handshake.

Always look forward to the Lakeside, much better atmosphere and venue compared to Alexandra Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭briany

As the years go on, I enjoy the relatively refined atmosphere of the BDO more and more. I don't enjoy the spotty coverage it gets or the sometimes cringey presentation from Colin Murray (To Ted Hankey before he left, "Ted, fangs for the memories") but the darts ain't all that bad.

There's always talk about how the BDO boards are harder to play on as their less forgiving with the wire design and such. That's a whole other debate, although I would like to see the likes of Taylor playing on the Winmau board nowadays to see if he could post a characteristic average.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Anyone reckon richie george will do well again yhis year, or was last year just a fluke???

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

^Yeah I tend to agree. He's up against Robbie Green first who lost out to Tony O'Shea in the quarters last year, so it could be a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

If he's the warm up, the main event must be David Duke singing a tribute to Hitler.

maybe fitzy will be in the crowd this year, anyway would like to see o'shea win it but waites, bunting, or norris to be wc. o'shea adams first round should be great, assuming wolfie wins his prelim :P

maybe fitzy will be in the crowd this year, anyway would like to see o'shea win it but waites, bunting, or norris to be wc. o'shea adams first round should be great, assuming wolfie wins his prelim :P

Norris solid, but facing Waites in first round and in same section as 2nd seed Wilson so presume he's very long odds.

Didn't realise Waites only 7th seed, he must really save himself for this time of year, and the grand slam. Special player, would love to see him on telly more often against the likes of Lewis and Van Gerwen, he has the nerve and ability to run them much closer than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Has anyone heard the D A R T S song advertising it on the BBC ?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

is this not on tv till 4 .30 today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

sc86 wrote: »
    is this not on tv till 4 .30 today?

2.30 BBC1

Advertisement