Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Petit Braquet - RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

RIP Padraig you made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Those who live on in the hearts and minds of others never die.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

RIP Padraig. My thoughts are with your family at this dreadful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I've been fearing this thread. RIP Padraig. You will be sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Very sad to hear.

But to highlight the good work he did before passing, LPB has now raised over €11,000 - http://www.mycharity.ie/event/padraig_oconaills_event

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing to say that has not been said a hundred times and thought a thousand times. I was responding to an e-mail from Padraig when a PM from another poster kept referring to him in the past tense and my heart sank.
    While I would call him a friend, it is not as if I new him that well, he just has that attitude and personality that talking to him comes easily. I am glad I met him both before this happened and at the spin, and am in awe of the voice and attention he brought to this issue in a matter of weeks. I will certainly keep an eye on myself and not let anything slide from now on, if nothing else, your frankness will help someone here without you or any of us ever realising.

You will be sorely missed by anyone who has ever met you, condolesences to your family and close friends.

In one of his last PMs to me, he expressed his amazement and thanks to everyone here, or as he called some of us "almost strangers".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Very sad. Thoughts with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I haven't been on boards very much in the last few months and so had no idea that Le Petit Braquet was ill. I often thought what a lovely username he had and what a good egg he must be (for amongst other things, often 'liking' my mostly silly, frivilous posts). Am so sorry to hear this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RIP to him and condolences to his family, hope the wind is at his back....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

RIP Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah no way! Le Petit Braquet , Incredible and inspiring person!

Hope you are Resting in Peace, my Fellow Boardsie :(

Thinking of You & Your Family,
    Love,
    kerry4sam

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have updated the OP with the following funeral notice just received from Brid
    Ó CONAILL Glenageary, Co Dublin December 15th 2013 (peacefully) at
    home with his family. Pádraig, beloved husband of Belinda, loving
    father of Darragh, Sinéad and Maeve. Very sadly missed by his wife,
    children, parents Jo and Pádraig (Snr), sisters Máire, Áine, Bríd,
    brother Éamonn, extended family, colleagues and many friends. Reposing
    Tuesday the 17th December in Quinn’s of Glasthule from 5pm to 7pm.
    Removal Wednesday to the Divine Word Church , Rathfarnham for 10am
    Mass followed by Cremation in Mount Jerome Crematorium. No Flowers
    please. Donations if desired to Our Ladys Hospice, Blackrock

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Very sad news, I managed to get my hands on some gear given to Chris Froomes bike mechanics after the TDF and was going to put it up and then i just seen this :(

Exceptionally sad times especially just before christmas.

RIP my good man

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Joff

Shocked when i saw the opening post, so sad, was a true gentleman, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I met Padraig once only at the coffee stop in Glencree in October. I had pink ribbons attached to my jersey and he commented that I was not very aero. Seems he never lost his sense of humour.

RIP Padraig, what a courageous man.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

Shocked to read the sad news. An inspiration not just to cyclists but to people in general. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Sad news especially at this time of the year. My thoughts and prayers are with Padraigs family. Though they knew it was coming nothing could have prepared them for the heartache they are enduring now....

If they were to see this I would offer small comfort in saying he was not only a gentleman but a brave and dignified victim of this cruel illness. His words here and elsewhere were an inspiration to so many.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

I'm only a lurker here so had never interacted with LPB before he started his fundraising recently, but I was and am moved by his posts.

I don't live in Ireland at the moment so couldn't go on the spin, but had been meaning for a couple of days to email him to tell him that I would take the last couple of gilets that he was auctioning. Thought I would see could I pick them up from him this weekend when I'm back home for christmas, I would've liked to meet him. Gutted now that I didn't contact him to buy them, but more importantly to tell him how I admired him. A lesson to me to get round to doing things when you have the chance.

RIP Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

His was such an important message delivered with enormous strength and humour.
    RIP Padraig. You were much admired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Sad news. RIP Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Very sad news. So sorry couldn't make the cycle due to an injury at the time. Always loved his online name. An inspirational character and my loss that I never got to meet him. RIP Padraig and sincere condolences to his family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

RIP.
    I never had the chance to meet him but he lived and faced his illness as an example to us all.
    My condolences to his family and hope that the comments left here bring some comfort at this sad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

RIP Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Very very sad news, will never forget how I felt reading his original post explaining why he was selling all his cycling stuff, but the strength he showed in getting his message out there. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

RIP LPB and condolences to all his family.

We will see you again next year when we roll out in his honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Rest in Peace Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭wav1

First time ever gutted for a man i never met.RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cyclinoliv

Rest in Peace Le Petit Braquet. Condolences to your family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I read in one of Padraig's posts about a month ago that he reckoned we should always pay attention to any warning signs.
    Coincidentally I booked myself in for a full "MOT" last Friday.
    For that I thank you ,Le Petit Braquet.

Never met you but a tear has been shed.

RIP

Advertisement