Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new building control regulations 2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Spark Plug wrote: »
    Does the 40 sq. m exemption apply to just the ground floor area. If I was planning on extending a 2 bed cottage by 39.9 sq. m and planned re-pitching the roof to create rooms overhead would the new rooms upstairs over the exiting dwelling and extension count toward the 40 sq. m apologies if a silly question unfortunately I am only commencing my build process

When doing two storey, 28 Sq. M at ground and 12 Sq. M at first floor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Stephen McD

Hi folks just a query about this new change to building control. Does it only apply to new applications after March or does the building have to be at a certain stage. I'm doing everything myself (self-build) I have planning permission for almost a year. I'm currently at sub-floor level. Will this new change apply to me or will I be in the old system and be exempt?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hi folks just a query about this new change to building control. Does it only apply to new applications after March or does the building have to be at a certain stage. I'm doing everything myself (self-build) I have planning permission for almost a year. I'm currently at sub-floor level. Will this new change apply to me or will I be in the old system and be exempt?

If you have already started, and, submitted a (valid) commencement notice, the new regs will not apply to you...you can carry on as you are...happy days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

NEW regs ,were discussed on joe duffy show today,
    Bloke said i was planning on hiring my relations,
    to do bricklaying, plastering ,carpentry
    etc build a house for my family.
    under the new law as from saturday ,
    I can no longer do this

Only a builder ,building company can build a house,
    plus you need to hire an architect,
    and only a company director, or professional builder
    can sign the documents
    that are needed to make the house legal to live in.

IT seems this makes a self build house illegal ,
    unless you are a professional builder.

AND it could increase the cost of building a house
    on say a farm, site ,by 20 per cent .

This program is probably on rte.ie radio1 ,as a podcast
    if you want to listen to it.

ITS seems the general public did,nt know about this.

ITS common for farmers to build a family home
    on a site ,
    and employ ,bricklayers ,carpenters ,

instead of going to a house building company

THIS this also apply to building a small extension.

YOU could agree a price with a blocklayer ,
    x amount to put up the blocks,
    however long it takes you.
    This will no longer be possible.

IT seems to make a self build house illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

If you haven't lodged your commencement notice yet get it in straight away before Saturday or your goosed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

riclad wrote: »
    NEW regs ,were discussed on joe duffy show today,
    Bloke said i was planning on hiring my relations,
    to do bricklaying, plastering ,carpentry
    etc build a house for my family.
    under the new law as from saturday ,
    I can no longer do this

Only a builder ,building company can build a house,
    plus you need to hire an architect,
    and only a company director, or professional builder
    can sign the documents
    that are needed to make the house legal to live in.

IT seems this makes a self build house illegal ,
    unless you are a professional builder.

AND it could increase the cost of building a house
    on say a farm, site ,by 20 per cent .

This program is probably on rte.ie radio1 ,as a podcast
    if you want to listen to it.

ITS seems the general public did,nt know about this.

ITS common for farmers to build a family home
    on a site ,
    and employ ,bricklayers ,carpenters ,

instead of going to a house building company

THIS this also apply to building a small extension.

YOU could agree a price with a blocklayer ,
    x amount to put up the blocks,
    however long it takes you.
    This will no longer be possible.

IT seems to make a self build house illegal.

Sorry, but these changes have been know to be coming since last year.

Someone has to be responsible for the quality, safety and meeting the regs. That's why so much stuff built in the past is poor - no oversight. This change is an attempt to rectify it: we'll see if it works. If you're not familiar with the regs - and thus the advised changes - then it does beg the question whether it should be you (i.e. in general, not personally) doing the work in the first place.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

I have applied for an extension of 377 sq foot to an existing bungalow in Limerick. As far as I know this means I am exempt from the most of the additional requirements of the new regulations. I need to have an engineer issue a commencement notice and a completion notice and for the builder to be certified. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone any idea around what I should be expecting an engineer to cost?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PaidV wrote: »
    I have applied for an extension of 377 sq foot to an existing bungalow in Limerick. As far as I know this means I am exempt from the most of the additional requirements of the new regulations. I need to have an engineer issue a commencement notice and a completion notice and for the builder to be certified. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone any idea around what I should be expecting an engineer to cost?

No.
    Under 40 sq m (430 sq ft) extensions are exempt so you fall under the previous control regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Thanks sydthebeat. So do I need a certified builder and engineer on the project at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

I read about this exchange in the Dail between Brian Stanley TD and Phil Hogan, minister. Stanley was pointing out how some certifiers are charging silly amounts for their services. Here's what minister Hogan said in his reply (full details on bregsfofum.wordpress.org)

“I am concerned about the potential for costs to be exploitative initially. The same thing happened in respect of the building energy regulations introduced several years ago by the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources. People were charged between €3,000 and €4,000 for certification inspections that cost €150 in the market. The professions have tended to jump on the bandwagon to exploit the customer for what they can get…

I am concerned about the possibility of customers being exploited by professionals under these regulations. I will monitor the situation over the coming weeks and if I detect that the professional bodies are exploiting customers to the extent that the Deputy alleged – he only mentioned one quotation – I am prepared to consider ways of ensuring customers are not financially exploited in the manner to which he alluded.”

So please pass on the information to the minister or Deputy Stanley if you hear of high prices being charged by certifiers.

and you expect the minister will do what. Exactly?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Why shouldn't they take an increased fee, given the insurance risk their undertaking on behalf of the client and contractor? Especially where the client has a 'hands on' approach/ instructs the builder...

joeirish wrote: »
    So please pass on the information to the minister or Deputy Stanley if you hear of high prices being charged by certifiers.

Please too pass on to the minister incidences of "no qoute" i.e. where architects simply won't offer this service at any price.

I would like to see architects stand together for once and just boycott Hogans latest mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

id actually pay a registered tradesmen friend to register as a builder for a year and sign it off if it was possible before i would trust any builder.most builders have some good tradesmen but it only takes one bad one to do something wrong. at least id get to pick my own trades men.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RamboArnie

I'm currently in the construction stage of a small extension to my house, i would like to make a few changes which would include a new window to the rear. I contacted the local authority and they said to lodge an application, which is fine.

my commencement notice was submitted in January, so will the the new regs and building control act come in to play?

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

RamboArnie wrote: »
    I'm currently in the construction stage of a small extension to my house, i would like to make a few changes which would include a new window to the rear. I contacted the local authority and they said to lodge an application, which is fine.

my commencement notice was submitted in January, so will the the new regs and building control act come in to play?

thank you

No, you already submitted a CN in January and the changes you are now applying for will not increase the floor area by more than 40sq. m.

Advertisement