Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new building control regulations 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bartbu

Got planning decision...grant date 26th feb so should get cn in on 27th. might escape. thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bartbu wrote: »
    Got planning decision...grant date 26th feb so should get cn in on 27th. might escape. thanks

And pray its validated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 budgetbuilder

From what I was told you not only have to have the commencment notice in and validated you also have to have physically started building, sitework isn't enough. But there is a 14 day wait period from the date of lodging the commencment notice before you are allowed to start building. I lodged mine on the 24th of January so I can't start building until the 8th of february. You also have to start building within 28 days of lodging the notice.

From what i have been told by my engineer to have commencement notice in before 28 th Feb will suffice. Otherwise how will councils have manpower to check which sites have commenced work or not. . A lot of in clarity in this area. . Any way of finding out for sure. .

I'd double check with your planning enforcement department, they seem to be the ones making the rules rather than taking your engineers word for it. After all, if he's wrong and you miss the deadline, who is the one that is going to be doing all the certifying at your expense? The councils specifically hire people to go around and check up on these things. At least that's what I was told by the ones that have called to me in the past. They get sent a list of addresses to check out and report back to enforcement.

• Advertisement

I'd double check with your planning enforcement department, they seem to be the ones making the rules rather than taking your engineers word for it. After all, if he's wrong and you miss the deadline, who is the one that is going to be doing all the certifying at your expense? The councils specifically hire people to go around and check up on these things. At least that's what I was told by the ones that have called to me in the past. They get sent a list of addresses to check out and report back to enforcement.

I will do. thanks for advice. typical Ireland..never just black and white...should people not have been advised of this when applying for planning recently or are we just supposed to know these things??:mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

should people not have been advised of this when applying for planning recently or are we just supposed to know these things??
    your not supposed to know these things, you've already stated
    i have been told by my engineer to have commencement notice in before 28 th Feb will suffice..
    do you trust your planning adviser? if not perhaps you should tell him/her.
    typical Ireland
    we'd rather complain..

BryanF wrote: »
    your not supposed to know these things, you've already stated
    do you trust your planning adviser? if not perhaps you should tell him/her.

we'd rather complain..

I wouldn't rather complain...id rather be able to build my house under the regulations that were in place when I applied for planning...or at least be advised that that these were to change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I wouldn't rather complain...id rather be able to build my house under the regulations that were in place when I applied for planning...or at least be advised that that these were to change!

New regulations have been flagged to be introduced on March 1st over 12 months ago (and were published generally in the same format at the most recent publication) at this stage, its been in the media regularly over that time.

Many have been hoping that they would be postponed however one has to wonder why, considering the Minister has never postponed anything in the past.

You may feel hard done by if you have to comply with the new regs, however there are many individuals whom will loose their livelihoods as a result of the regulations and restricted in what work they can do.

archtech...thanks for the post....
    archtech wrote: »
    New regulations have been flagged to be introduced on March 1st over 12 months ago (and were published generally in the same format at the most recent publication) at this stage, its been in the media regularly over that time.

Unfortunately I do not work in this area and had never heard of these regs until recently. Where can I find a copy of this publication?

Many have been hoping that they would be postponed however one has to wonder why, considering the Minister has never postponed anything in the past.

You may feel hard done by if you have to comply with the new regs, however there are many individuals whom will loose their livelihoods as a result of the regulations and restricted in what work they can do.

I am aware that these regs have serious consequences for many people and not just myself so I don't see why I need....."however....." I empathise with these people who will loose out on a serious amount of work.
    I simply would like to know where I stand in trying to build a house for my family and if I will be able to afford it under the new regs? Might have to stay with the mother for another while!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

The Irish Association of Self Builders of Ireland (IASOB) are currently campaigning against the introduction of Building Control (Amendment) Regulation (SI.9 of 2014)

why don't you join in here

thanks 4sticks

The whole problem with regs are that they are an all too typical kneejerk reaction to some very recent problems. And they are needed but they have been brought in a a blanket solution to a very specific problem. The problem being of developers cutting corners for bigger profits. They should have been applied to developements of two units or more or any developement where there was not a planning condition in place banning sale of the property for a certain period of time.

Most self builders are not going to skimp on the building of their own homes. This is baby and bathwater regulation. As for publicity for these new regulations, it may have been publicised widely in industry publications but in reality most of us don't have any acess to those.

I only found out about them by accident. And only after my final grant. The fact that I'll get in under the old regs is sheer blind luck! My architect didn't mention anything about them to me. It was only an engineering firm trying to frighten me into using their services that allerted me to the changes.

From what I was told you not only have to have the commencment notice in and validated you also have to have physically started building, sitework isn't enough. But there is a 14 day wait period from the date of lodging the commencment notice before you are allowed to start building. I lodged mine on the 24th of January so I can't start building until the 8th of february. You also have to start building within 28 days of lodging the notice.

Not physically commenced but deffo lodged before 28th February. But bear in mind, you are giving 14 days notice, so you must start after those 14 days.
    From what i have been told by my engineer to have commencement notice in before 28 th Feb will suffice. Otherwise how will councils have manpower to check which sites have commenced work or not. . A lot of in clarity in this area. . Any way of finding out for sure. .

Lodged and validated on or before the 28th February will suffice. Your engineer speaks the truth.

The councils do not hire people to do this. And ignore planning enforcement, they have no jurisdiction over Building Control. I think you have your wire mixed up here budgetbuilder.
    I will do. thanks for advice. typical Ireland..never just black and white...should people not have been advised of this when applying for planning recently or are we just supposed to know these things??:mad:

People have been advised, over 12 months ago. There was a public consultation out on it also. Your agent should of informed you and advised on thirst course of action.

You have to ask yourself why didn't your agent advise you on this.

Thanks kceire...your 100% spot on in relation to planning adviser...thanks for the clarity...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I submitted my commencement form this morning, spoke to someone in planning and they reckon I am going to come in under the new regs, didnt want to argue but surely this cannot be the case, anyone else speak submit their notice lately?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RedPeppers wrote: »
    I submitted my commencement form this morning, spoke to someone in planning and they reckon I am going to come in under the new regs, didnt want to argue but surely this cannot be the case, anyone else speak submit their notice lately?

What was their reason for saying that? Was the commencement notice accepted?
    Did they tell you to fill out the new form?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What was their reason for saying that? Was the commencement notice accepted?
    Did they tell you to fill out the new form?

She basically said its a very grey area at the moment regarding the implementation of the new regs and they would know more in a couple of weeks but with me submitting the notice only now I am going to struggle to get foundations etc done in time. Yes the notice was accepted, paid in cash and got a receipt. No mention of a new form. I asked about paying the development fee, she didn't seem to bothered think I am going to get that paid next week.

Not sure where I stand now tbh, will need to get cracking asap

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NoTice accepted and receipted, your Fine.
    Don't loose that receipt.

id say your sound redpeppers....I will only be receiving my official grant on Wednesday 26th and have requested ( in writing- as instructed by planning office) that my c3 be issued on Thursday which I will collect from council office as they normally not sent out till following Monday.. I will then hand in my commencement on that Thursday or Friday which I am told will suffice as long as I have it accepted and receipted before closing Friday...I hope this is the case..
    For you id say you are well in time but id trust nothing in this shambles of a set up....best of luck

• Advertisement

What date did you put on the CN as a start date?
    You are in under the curren regs, not the new regs, sure by the time the new regs come into force, you will have the site dug and foundations poured i would imagine?
    id say your sound redpeppers....I will only be receiving my official grant on Wednesday 26th and have requested ( in writing- as instructed by planning office) that my c3 be issued on Thursday which I will collect from council office as they normally not sent out till following Monday.. I will then hand in my commencement on that Thursday or Friday which I am told will suffice as long as I have it accepted and receipted before closing Friday...I hope this is the case..
    For you id say you are well in time but id trust nothing in this shambles of a set up....best of luck

Once your final grant is issues, just ask them what the date of the signiture is, that is all that has to be entered onto thye CN's in Dublin.

kceire wrote: »
    What date did you put on the CN as a start date?
    You are in under the curren regs, not the new regs, sure by the time the new regs come into force, you will have the site dug and foundations poured i would imagine?

Once your final grant is issues, just ask them what the date of the signiture is, that is all that has to be entered onto thye CN's in Dublin.

Start date I submitted was 26th Feb site will be cleared / dug out by this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

She basically said its a very grey area at the moment regarding the implementation of the new regs and they would know more in a couple of weeks but with me submitting the notice only now I am going to struggle to get foundations etc done in time. Yes the notice was accepted, paid in cash and got a receipt. No mention of a new form. I asked about paying the development fee, she didn't seem to bothered think I am going to get that paid next week.

Not sure where I stand now tbh, will need to get cracking asap

Further proof of staff not known their head from their arse. It's typical of Ireland if I don't know the answer to the question I'll fob you off because I couldn't be bothered doing the extra work to get you the information your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

Submitted our commencement last week and got the response within two days, we put the 26th on it aswell

Lady in the office said nothing about new regs or development fees. When do you actually have to pay the development charges?

Start date I submitted was 26th Feb site will be cleared / dug out by this time

You are fine with the current regs 100%
    hexosan wrote: »
    Further proof of staff not known their head from their arse. It's typical of Ireland if I don't know the answer to the question I'll fob you off because I couldn't be bothered doing the extra work to get you the information your looking for.

Some of the smaller LA's may not have the info, and the DOE haven't been exactly forthcoming with info so far tbh.

hexosan wrote: »
    It's typical of Ireland if I don't know the answer to the question I'll fob you off because I couldn't be bothered doing the extra work to get you the information your looking for.

Cheer up , you have us. And we're cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

4Sticks wrote: »
    ...we're cheap ...
    really :D

Well we charge YOU extra ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spark Plug

Does the 40 sq. m exemption apply to just the ground floor area. If I was planning on extending a 2 bed cottage by 39.9 sq. m and planned re-pitching the roof to create rooms overhead would the new rooms upstairs over the exiting dwelling and extension count toward the 40 sq. m apologies if a silly question unfortunately I am only commencing my build process

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

First floor area needs to be added

Advertisement