Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus livery

Options
  • 13-12-2013 11:37pm
    Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

Why did Dublin bus move away from green?

Was always my favourite!

1476097_10202240888056154_554156471_n.jpg

Dublin_Bus_bus.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭GTE

Yeah, I always liked the green but the current livery is much much better than the one that came before it, that cream one. Terrible. I guess the shades of green were not the nicest, but still a great livery.

I am also not a fan of the new Bus Eireann paint work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

An ex bus driver friend told me once that the regular livery changes give garages a good chance to inspect vehicles for corrosion that wouldn't be normally spotted at a service. Whether this is intentional or not is another story :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

An ex bus driver friend told me once that the regular livery changes give garages a good chance to inspect vehicles for corrosion that wouldn't be normally spotted at a service. Whether this is intentional or not is another story :)

you couldnt beat the KC's/KD's in two tone green and Bus Eireann's red/white with the orange stripe along the middle

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    you couldnt beat the KC's/KD's in two tone green and Bus Eireann's red/white with the orange stripe along the middle

That Bus Eireann livery on their KC style buses look fantastic.

7788968118_ae8094348e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

What was the idea/origin of the old CIE logo on the green buses?.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's the logo of the DUTC which CIE adopted on formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's called the "flying snail". The DUTC had adopted it only in 1941, at the same time as changing their name from Dublin United Tramways Company to Dublin United Transport Company. The name change reflected the fact that the Company was running more and more bus routes, as opposed to tram routes, and I've heard it suggested - I can't remember where - that the the two sets of parallel lines were intended to represent trams and buses respectively, and the circle linking them to represent the interconnnectivity of the system. Or something like that.

bbk wrote: »
    That Bus Eireann livery on their KC style buses look fantastic.

7788968118_ae8094348e.jpg

Preserved KE35 what a beautiful machine,dont remember this livery on them although i am aware KE43 was identical when it was in cork in the early 90's,AFAIK KR68 Waterford (open to correction) also had this livery

DD9090 wrote: »
    Why did Dublin bus move away from green?

Was always my favourite!

1476097_10202240888056154_554156471_n.jpg

Dublin_Bus_bus.jpg

Must say i preferred the cityswift livery over this anyday but the 2 tone green was brilliant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The CitySwift and current livery would be my choices. The cream/orange last livery was horrible, especially on the older fleet members.

And anything but the tan:p

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    The CitySwift and current livery would be my choices. The cream/orange last livery was horrible, especially on the older fleet members.

And anything but the tan:p

the old Vanhool D class looked absolutely awful in the tan,lets hope that colour schene is banished to the history books forever

aujopimur wrote: »
    What was the idea/origin of the old CIE logo on the green buses?.

how old is that photo??? its clearly ex cork

Looking at preserved RH7 in the metal, the two tone green does look aged especially parked beside the yellow and blue, though I loved it at the time.

Looking at preserved RH7 in the metal, the two tone green does look aged especially parked beside the yellow and blue, though I loved it at the time.

never liked yellow and blue livery

Looking at this collection from 1998 by Fred Dean Jnr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/sets/72157638737351565

Good to look back at different liveries on the same type of bus (RH/RA and 97/98 RV). RH120 looks quite aged in the two tone green and arguably the cream/orange/blue livery doesn't suit the RHs either.

The RVs look very well in the wedding livery and the cream and cityswift.

Looking at this collection from 1998 by Fred Dean Jnr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/sets/72157638737351565

Good to look back at different liveries on the same type of bus (RH/RA and 97/98 RV). RH120 looks quite aged in the two tone green and arguably the cream/orange/blue livery doesn't suit the RHs either.

The RVs look very well in the wedding livery and the cream and cityswift.
    ah yes fred is a genious and a gent i am a contact of his on flickr,all of those liveries are fantastic except the red/yellow on the ME/ML,i cant remember correctly but i do recall from my time in dublin in 1999 double deckers in city swift livery,not sure was it the RV's i clearly remember the reg of one of the buses i seen that day 99-D-453,are any of the TE's and MG class preserved???i know a transport "museum" in cork have KR/S 9

Yes, quite a lot of them would've had cityswift livery, RV453-RV457 certainly did. AVs did as well, I think up until (and including) 2003. I think it was phased out by the 2004 ones.

Yes, quite a lot of them would've had cityswift livery, RV453-RV457 certainly did. AVs did as well, I think up until (and including) 2003. I think it was phased out by the 2004 ones.
    were the fleet numbers corresponding to the reg numbers???e.g RV453/99D453???if so it was that very one i seen,was just at the start of my teens when i got big into the buses so that was at the start of it really,was it 2004 the yellow/blue was adopted?

ah yes fred is a genious and a gent i am a contact of his on flickr,all of those liveries are fantastic except the red/yellow on the ME/ML,i cant remember correctly but i do recall from my time in dublin in 1999 double deckers in city swift livery,not sure was it the RV's i clearly remember the reg of one of the buses i seen that day 99-D-453,are any of the TE's and MG class preserved???i know a transport "museum" in cork have KR/S 9

TE32 was said to be the preserved one. A pity TE1 wasn't as it was the first bus bought under the Bus Eireann name.

how old is that photo??? its clearly ex cork
    I took that pic in August 2012, it's still there, it's a pity to see it rotting away.

• Advertisement

were the fleet numbers corresponding to the reg numbers???e.g RV453/99D453???if so it was that very one i seen,was just at the start of my teens when i got big into the buses so that was at the start of it really,was it 2004 the yellow/blue was adopted?
    Yeah, until the second batch of VGs were introduced in 2009, the reg plate matched the fleet number on Dublin Bus. The practice was dropped when the government introduced the €1,000 tax on plate reservations.
    I took that pic in August 2012, it's still there, it's a pity to see it rotting away.
    Really? So it was obviously preserved but let go. :(

bbk wrote: »
    TE32 was said to be the preserved one. A pity TE1 wasn't as it was the first bus bought under the Bus Eireann name.

the TE's were a great bus,any idea where she is?

where is it???the "museum" please god its not

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah, until the second batch of VGs were introduced in 2009, the reg plate matched the fleet number on Dublin Bus. The practice was dropped when the government introduced the €1,000 tax on plate reservations.

bloody government out to screw us all in every way possible,i hear Dublin Bus are recruiting 70 drivers??

the TE's were a great bus,any idea where she is?
    It's in the carpark behind the Halfway Pub on the Cork/Bandon Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

What happened to that new green livery that was on the new hibrid busses? Wasn't that supposed to replace the manky ryanair colours? Did the ressesion get in the way of repainting all the busses? It would appear that it's been dropped as brand new busses have the yellow. Shame. I donnt understand why cork and limerick busses dont have their own livery seperate from BE's as they're alrealy localy branded with routes and if i recall the cork ones have "Cork" logo on them. It would be a great thing for civic pride.

Karsini wrote: »
    si
    I saw on the road only once in 2000, I've no idea where it was before that, it was parked up in that location then and hasn't moved since.

It's in the carpark behind the Halfway Pub on the Cork/Bandon Rd.

i know it well,cant believe its in that comdition,the trains arent far behind so i take it

• Advertisement

i know it well,cant believe its in that comdition,the trains arent far behind so i take it

Are we confusing the TE class from 1989 with the double decker from many a year ago more?

In terms of the last where abouts of TE32, Thurles is the last place I read about it being. I would imagine the best place to ask and confirm my info is the Irish Road Transport Forum on Yuku.

V.W.L 11, the TE was a great skip alright. Very very quick for a coach and nice and comfy. TE21 was the one I had most experience with, really beat up but we got a spare one day which was from Athlone and I'd swear it was as good as any machine currently being used. Fantastic.

Great engine note too!

Advertisement