Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Releases

Options

Comments

Sharon Van Etten is releasing her new album in May

http://www.nme.com/news/sharon-van-etten/74944

Release date in the UK (and presumably Ireland too) is May 26th:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Streaming on Itunes now.

d9f36f89.jpeg

It may get to the point when they will need to deviate from their sound a little, I'm not sure, but I'm really enjoying this for the same reasons I love Days and and S/T.

Looking forward to the Workman's Club gig (tickets on sale tomorrow..)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

New album from Antlers, Familiar out on June 16th. This is the first track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

^ Sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kasabian are releasing their 5th album in June really looking forward to it.

anyone know if Tame Impala will be releasing a new album this year ? fantastic band

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Future Islands

lordgoat wrote: »
    Future Islands

Excellent album. Really happy to have found out about them. :)
    Their singer's voice is probably my favourite male voice I've heard since I first listened to Interpol!

Excellent album. Really happy to have found out about them. :)
    Their singer's voice is probably my favourite male voice I've heard since I first listened to Interpol!

And I find it incredibly grating!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

That Antlers track is fantastic.

That Antlers track is fantastic.

Can they stretch it out to an album though? They haven't yet. Lovely sound from this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

mosstin wrote: »
    Can they stretch it out to an album though? They haven't yet. Lovely sound from this.

Seriously? Hospice was a masterpiece. Burst apart was great also.

Seriously? Hospice was a masterpiece. Burst apart was great also.

Hospice was wonderful in parts but there were and are a number of tracks that just meander. I thought Burst Apart, though different, was dull.

And I find it incredibly grating!

Oh well.....can't please everyone, I guess!!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    :D

Gonna repost Antlers track, 'cause the above video appears to have been taken down:

Looking forward to the album.

Tom Vek releases his third album Luck on June 9th.

Sleep Thieves releasing their second full length album some time in the spring. Really looking forward to that as the Islands EP was a big step up from the debut album.

So the album is gonna be called You Want The Night and it's out on June 17th.
    Title track can be found here.

Looking back on the first 6 months of the year (almost), it's been a pish poor year for decent records. I've liked tracks from certain records but there genuinely isn't one album that rises above all others when I try to consider what's been the best record of 2014 to date. Future Islands seem to be the nom du jour but their album is pretty patchy. Even the Sharon Van Etten record which has been getting very good reviews and which is bookended by a brilliant opener and closer, doesn't really grab me. Slow year thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I've listened to a **** load of music this year and for me, lots of the hyped stuff has been rather disappointing. The best albums I've heard this year are from Eagulls, Brody Dalle, September Girls, We Cut Corners, Mogwai & Temples.

There have been some great EP's from Irish bands so far this year- Elastic Sleep's 'Leave You' EP is a stunner. The seft titled EP from Abandcalledboy is great and Otherkin's 'As a High' EP is a little gem.

News of Interpol's new album has me nowhere near as excited as I thought. The last two albums from them were mediocre compared to the first two. They're not the same band after Carlos D left.

I thought the September Girls album was painfully generic. Felt like I gained nothing from listening to it.

The summer release schedule isn't looking too good. Hopefully the autumn will be more exciting.

Agree that some of the hyped albums this year have been disappointing, with Pixies, Warpaint and Lykke Li in particular being underwhelming. Biggest disappointment was Planningtorock; W was excellent but All Love's Legal is (mostly) pants.

There has still been some good stuff though. My top five from 2014 so far would be:
    1. Future Islands - Singles
    2. We Have Band - Movements
    3. Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time (Technically a 2013 album but it didn't get its official UK release until March 2014)
    4. Brody Dalle - Diploid Love
    5. SOHN - Tremors

Other good albums this year have been Neneh Cherry - Blank Project, Beck - Morning Phase, Kelis - Food and tUnEyArDs - Nikki Nack. A few other albums I still have yet to investigate might also make this list.

Blonde Redhead announce new album for September.

http://blonde-redhead.com/

• Advertisement

I'm looking froward to Death from Above 1979's new album. Announced for September.

She Keeps Bees announce new album Eight Houses for September 16th:
    http://www.eighthouses.com/

From the preview clip it sounds like it's gonna be a bit more mellow than previous outings. Jessica Larrabee's voice sounds as lovely as ever though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Looking back on the first 6 months of the year (almost), it's been a pish poor year for decent records. I've liked tracks from certain records but there genuinely isn't one album that rises above all others when I try to consider what's been the best record of 2014 to date. Future Islands seem to be the nom du jour but their album is pretty patchy. Even the Sharon Van Etten record which has been getting very good reviews and which is bookended by a brilliant opener and closer, doesn't really grab me. Slow year thus far.

I disagree. I think it's been pretty good so far. Todd Terje has been the highlight for me, followed closely by Mac DeMarco. Damien Jurado, East India Youth, St. Vincent, Temples, Real Estate, and Hospitality are all solid too. Future Islands is pretty good too. Love his voice, but the songs aren't too amazing. Good vibes though so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ThomasAlan

pinksoir wrote: »
    I disagree. I think it's been pretty good so far. Todd Terje has been the highlight for me, followed closely by Mac DeMarco. Damien Jurado, East India Youth, St. Vincent, Temples, Real Estate, and Hospitality are all solid too. Future Islands is pretty good too. Love his voice, but the songs aren't too amazing. Good vibes though so far.

Thanks for the heads up on Todd Terje....really enjoying his album.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Dry the River - new album Alarms in the Heart is out 25th August. Hope its half as good as the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Top 10 so far picked by Guardian readers
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jul/03/the-10-best-albums-of-2014-so-far

Of these I've only listened to War on Drugs and Wild Beasts, and thought they were just ok, but hopefully theres better to come in the second half of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭flasher0030

smacg wrote: »
    Top 10 so far picked by Guardian readers
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jul/03/the-10-best-albums-of-2014-so-far

Of these I've only listened to War on Drugs and Wild Beasts, and thought they were just ok, but hopefully theres better to come in the second half of the year

"Just ok" !!!! I don't know about Wild Beasts. But Lost in a Dream is absolutely sensational. I'm usually all for one's choice of good music being subjective. But I'm making an exception for this album. If, after listening to this album at least 10 times, you do not get the feeling that this is one of the best things you've ever listened to, then something is wrong with
    a. Speakers
    b. Headphones
    or
    c. Ear drums

"Just ok" !!!! I don't know about Wild Beasts. But Lost in a Dream is absolutely sensational. I'm usually all for one's choice of good music being subjective. But I'm making an exception for this album. If, after listening to this album at least 10 times, you do not get the feeling that this is one of the best things you've ever listened to, then something is wrong with
    a. Speakers
    b. Headphones
    or
    c. Ear drums

Or (d) their perspective is completely different to yours. Everyone should like this album because you love it? Right. I find it pretty average too as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I think Lost In The Dream is very good, but definitely not sensational. I've never been too much of a War On Drugs fan though. I think he tends towards pastiche a little bit too much, though LITD won me over.

East India Youth is very good actually. Forgot about that one.

Advertisement