Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Pity he lost the plot after his success, the fact O'Driscoll has been consistently one of the best for a more sustained period of time would make him more deserving of the title imo. Keane would be up there but of course Saipan is still in a lot of memories.

Harrington had 10 good years at the top of the sport. The fact that he won 3 majors in 2 years later on in that period highlights his drive and determination. It is a pity his level has dropped in the last 3or4 years alright.

I would probably have O'Driscoll second in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

kiers47 wrote: »
    Harrington had 10 good years at the top of the sport. The fact that he won 3 majors in 2 years later on in that period highlights his drive and determination. It is a pity his level has dropped in the last 3or4 years alright.

I would probably have O'Driscoll second in fairness.

Its a pity for both to be honest as Harrington had it all at his feet and was winning when he had a brain fart and decided he wanted to be better and destroyed his game when there really was no need and as a golfer myself I know just how hard it is to be good at that game, probably one of the toughest games out there mentally

O'Driscolls downfall is Ireland ultimately underachieved especially on the world stage. Irelands golden generation brought about only 1 grand slam when the team were capable of a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

How in gods name would Katie Taylor be above Sonia o Sullivan

You mean how is 4 time World Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist Katie Taylor above 1 time World Champion, Olympic Silver medalist O Sullivan?

hucklebuck wrote: »
    You mean how is 4 time World Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist Katie Taylor above 1 time World Champion, Olympic Silver medalist O Sullivan?

In fairness huckle. That is like comparing formula 1 and tiddly winks. Women's boxing has been a relatively uncompetitive affair for the last 5 years. While women's long distance running is one of the most competitive on the world/Olympic calendar.
    FWIW I'd agree that she probably has done a bit more to deserve a place on the list.
    I would question your blatant omission of Harrington.

In fairness huckle. That is like comparing formula 1 and tiddly winks. Women's boxing has been a relatively uncompetitive affair for the last 5 years. While women's long distance running is one of the most competitive on the world/Olympic calendar.
    FWIW I'd agree that she probably has done a bit more to deserve a place on the list.
    I would question your blatant omission of Harrington.

I don't really watch the golf, my impression was he was white hot and won three (?) majors and has been mediocre either side of it?

It was more a longevity list.

• Advertisement

Urban you should rename this thread the Minella Foru thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Went to the sligo rovers match last night lads not televised or anything. 0-0 and athlone get a penalty, I was on betfair at the time they didn't suspend the market until they actually scored the penalty. Could back Athlone at 14/1 when they were just about to take a penalty. Definitely opportunities for money to be made

I don't really watch the golf, my impression was he was white hot and won three (?) majors and has been mediocre either side of it?

It was more a longevity list.

He was in or around the top of the game for 10 years. That is a long time in sporting terms. Has been in decline since but golf mentally takes it's toll on the best.

He was in or around the top of the game for 10 years. That is a long time in sporting terms. Has been in decline since but golf mentally takes it's toll on the best.

He lost it when he got his eyes lasered by that shower, I think they hit his brain :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Went to the sligo rovers match last night lads not televised or anything. 0-0 and athlone get a penalty, I was on betfair at the time they didn't suspend the market until they actually scored the penalty. Could back Athlone at 14/1 when they were just about to take a penalty. Definitely opportunities for money to be made

Brilliant! :D

• Advertisement

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Brilliant! :D

Shame I had no money in the account they went 6/4 immediately after. Will know better next time.

UrbanSea wrote: »

Great stuff, even people who are paid to watch Sligo don't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You can't get mobile Internet in sligo. Blatant lies

1G

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Golantilla sleeps soundly tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Think the thread title will be changing to Killultagh Vic after Wednesday..

Think the thread title will be changing to Killultagh Vic after Wednesday..

For two days until Minella Foru dots up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Has to log onto the work e-mail there as I forgot to forward the flight confirmation to my gmail on Friday (I hate my blackberry so don't want to have to go looking through that). All set now

The young lads in bed so I'm watching the TG4 preview I recorded earlier & sipping on a bottle of stout. The holidays start here!

Tomorrow night is gonna be an outrage. We should be rid of the baggage & in the pub by 7 at the latest. Hopefully earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Booked the bus today but got locked out of my email and dont have my reference number. Anyone know if I'm able to get on the bus without it?

Its the go bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Tomorrow night is gonna be an outrage. We should be rid of the baggage & in the pub by 7 at the latest. Hopefully earlier

Ah thats childs play. Expecting to get stuck into my first creamy pint around lunchtime. Early flight though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Luap wrote: »
    Booked the bus today but got locked out of my email and dont have my reference number. Anyone know if I'm able to get on the bus without it?

Its the go bus?

Edit: Can you get on with I.D?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ah thats childs play. Expecting to get stuck into my first creamy pint around lunchtime. Early flight though

I fly at 3.50

Couple of the lads on a plane around 1.50. Think they're heading to Twiston Davies boozer

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

Any of you lads setting off tomorrow? 5 of us on the Aer Lingus flight into Birmingham at lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Was absolutey dieng with a hangover at Naas today. Must have been my first time there without going to the bar. :o

Backed Quickpic Vic and couldn't believe the tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Luap wrote: »
    Edit: Can you get on with I.D?

They'll have your name/booking listed Luap

Any of you lads setting off tomorrow? 5 of us on the Aer Lingus flight into Birmingham at lunchtime

I'm on ryanair later tomorrow dublin to brommy airport. Cannot wait. I'll be drinking ale in cheltenham by 8pm!

For those heading to stratford, that canadian diamond runs in the 4.10. The lad who beat him lto dotted up in the imperial cup. Has won a cls 3 before. High enough in the weights but the claimer chops 5lbs off to make it effectively off 1 lb higher than last win. Not one to go heavy on as its a big field & his last win was by only a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

For two days until Minella Foru dots up.

Will he get in? Have been keen on him for a while.

• Advertisement

Aer Lingus at 3.50 to Birmingham

Montpellier. Ale. Kebabs. Vomit

Been far too long since I was in Cheltenham for the November meeting let alone the festival. Birmingham gets hit when I go to the Pillar for my annual fix

Advertisement