Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

M6 buoy to 967.5hPa @ 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Tazio wrote: »
    This map may get interesting later today.... unfortunately :(

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

This service is also available as a free app for mobile devices so even if power fails and pc, laptop, broadband is not available, restoration times can still be checked using the mobile phone network which rarely goes down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Lesson Street, Dublin and the leaves on the trees are starting to flutter.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Planet X wrote: »
    Lesson Street, Dublin and the leaves on the trees are starting to flutter.......

Lol that should make the front page of the Times tomorrow even if Belmullet loses a few cowsheds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest EURO4 model increases the severe wind potential for western coasts.

These are sustained winds in mph. Gusts would be higher.

13121818_2_1806.gif
    13121821_2_1806.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

And so it begins, wind starting to pick up in Galway, pity i have work later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Lol that should make the front page of the Times tomorrow even if Belmullet loses a few cowsheds

It should.......it's Dublin after all.......

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Will there be much thunder and lightning with a storm such as this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whats the timescale for this? Early evening to midnightish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well done to MT he had this one nailed a long time ago, ME only getting in on the act now and as usual very late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Latest EURO4 model increases the severe wind potential for western coasts.

These are sustained winds in mph. Gusts would be higher.

13121818_2_1806.gif
    13121821_2_1806.gif

Maq, am I reading the first one correctly in that the strongest sustained winds will be hitting Galway Bay/North Clare area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

adox wrote: »
    Whats the timescale for this? Early evening to midnightish?

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Met Eireann detail timescales on their weather warnings and forecast.

You'll get real time data here as conditions develop from members posting.

M6 buoy to 967.5hPa @ 11am

Must be pretty close to the center now.

RoisinD wrote: »
    Maq, am I reading the first one correctly in that the strongest sustained winds will be hitting Galway Bay/North Clare area?

On that particular model, at that particular time yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well done to MT he had this one nailed a long time ago, ME only getting in on the act now and as usual very late.

They are not getting in on the act. They are looking at probabilities and best available data. They have the red warnings out now because this is now much more likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Office Windows starting to rattle a bit in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

On that particular model, at that particular time yes.

Thank you. From the warnings issued there has been no mention of the Clare area and although I have been following it on here I am aware that others are not. Think the Cliffs of Moher management are watching as well as they are closing to visitors from lunch time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Thank you. From the warnings issued there has been no mention of the Clare area and although I have been following it on here I am aware that others are not. Think the Cliffs of Moher management are watching as well as they are closing to visitors from lunch time.

Met Éireann have a orange warning out for Clare, warning of severe gusts up to 120 km/h.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i have 2 huge ( 12 ft x 8 ft ) windows on the gable of my house that faces south and they tend to creak / flex a bit in high winds..thats why i was asking have we had anything like this in the last few years... not looking forward to this at all , sleepless night ahead..

There's an orange warning for Clare. It may not look as severe there on the model Met Eireann are looking at. They could change that to red there later though.
    Wind Warning for Cavan and Clare

It will become stormy for a time later this afternoon and evening, with severe southwest winds, gusting 100 to 120 km/h, strongest in exposed areas.

Issued:
    Wednesday 18 December 2013 10:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 18 December 2013 15:00 to Wednesday 18 December 2013 23:59

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Even down here in Cork City it's feeling very blustery with increasing winds. So, I'd say you're in for a fairly rough few hours in the West and Northwest!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Hi all I am the guy who had the large weakened tree removed yesterday. Judging by the way things are going to turn out storm wise I am relieved I did it. Thanks to all on here who started discussing this storm many days ago. I see met eireann have a red warning out now. It will alert people but wouldnt have been much good for me regarding getting lads in to fell a large tree. I am one mile from coast of donegal bay so tonight could be rough. I dont have any way of measuring the wind but will update on here. Theres something menacing about the air today. Steady breeze with stronger gusts. My grandfather always described this kind of pre storm weather as 'gathering'. Its getting ready to roll in. Its reminding me of the stephens day storm in 1998. Keep safe all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Wind has picked up a good bit in the last hour here in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coillsaille

woody1 wrote: »
    i have 2 huge ( 12 ft x 8 ft ) windows on the gable of my house that faces south and they tend to creak / flex a bit in high winds..thats why i was asking have we had anything like this in the last few years... not looking forward to this at all , sleepless night ahead..

I'm in a similar situation. House on north shore of Galway Bay built in the last year with very large windows. They were flexing an awful lot in last night's gusts so getting a bit appprehensive about this low..

Thanks to all here for the great coverage!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

looks like it could another evening on the tablet with flightradar and liveatc running together. Some challenging and bumpy landings this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust 52 Kmh here now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Theres something menacing about the air today

Thought that yesterday myself, my wife commented on the funny colours in the sky an hour ago as we took our walk.

Nice and windy here I'm only catching F3 but barometer still stoning it @ 987.9 hPa ↓++++++

post-18389-0-19330300-1387369397.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Curtains in West Mayo being reefed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

No update from the M6 buoy?
    Rain heading for Galway Bay, it's going to be a nasty drive in to Galway on the exposed Motorway.

With any luck the power might go in work later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement