Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favourite DOS games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

branners69 wrote: »
    So would you have ever loaded games from tape cassette? Or typed the actual code from a magazine?? The good old days!!

Luxury! I used to have to write my own games on punch cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Skerries wrote: »
    Luxury! I used to have to write my own games on punch cards!

Haha, I thought I was showing MY age!! What read the punch cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So would you have ever loaded games from tape cassette? Or typed the actual code from a magazine?? The good old days!!

I was being corrected on the spelling of color for years in school because of the latter. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I played DOS games for years, too many to list.

Probably the first two I played were LHX and F15 II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgvBJVQD74
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdxbYLZ7Cc0

I played all of the microprose games like fleet defender and the DID Tornado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwGWldIYHbo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT5VaA81fjI

And of course Doom, Spear Of Destiny, Decent (descent is brilliant Multiplayer), Grand Prix 3, EAW, load of that stuff.

I also remember playing demo floppies of the PCW and such mags. I got Space Hulk off one of these.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XMFB8fyfb0, and subwar, magic carpet etc.

First version of flight sim was dos. Remember playing it at night made it run smoother.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2jzkELDfU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

That shop in Dundrum where you could rent PC games was brilliant :) Was in the little alleyway beside the AIB I think

I played a ton of games back then, from the late 80s up to the windows era games. Loved the classics like Frogger, Tapper, Bruce Lee, Rick Dangerous, Loom..anything Lucasarts, Doom, Doom 2, Blood, Duke3D, Wolf3D, Leisure Suit Larry, Terminal Velocity, Commander Keen, the Hugo games...everything really that I can't think of offhand.

What version of the secret of Monkey island had 15 disks? or was that an exaggeration? It only had 8 disks at most and that was the 5.25 floppy version

Edit: Sim City classic was fantastic too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Dune (I & II), original command and conquer, Lynx attack chopper, av8b harrier assault, leisure suit games, monkey island games, doom, populous.. oh, and of course, original carrier command :cool:

err, but not so sure which of them were pure dos, and which (if any?) were windows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

nesf wrote: »
    I was being corrected on the spelling of color for years in school because of the latter. :P

I was corrected over program(me) even though I was using the correct spelling. Naturally I pointed out the correct form but apparently it wasn't that she didn't know - it was that "others" might not know and mark me down accordingly. Chancer.
    beauf wrote: »
    Decent (descent is brilliant Multiplayer)

We used to play that in work, on our old 486s on our BNC network. In fact I used to sneak mates into work after hours and we used to have LAN sessions :D Used to be goggle eyed after a few hours!!

There was also a 60mhz pentium in the office, and when everyone went home I used to load up Doom on it ;)
    Wossack wrote: »
    oh, and of course, original carrier command :cool:

I loved that game, still have it boxed with 5 1/4" disks :)

D.

Haha, I thought I was showing MY age!! What read the punch cards?

it was an attempt at a joke using a Monty Python sketch where they try and one man up themselves by telling stories of how bad they had it as children

What version of the secret of Monkey island had 15 disks? or was that an exaggeration? It only had 8 disks at most and that was the 5.25 floppy version

It was about that on the Amiga IIRC as I think the Amiga disks (3.5") only held about 700kb of data as opposed to 1.4mb on pc

Duke3d, ROTT & Descent II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I used to have an old 386 (or was it a 486), that was being thrown out from my mam's office where she worked.

I used to play Doom, Syndicate, Starlord & Master of Orion II. All with no sound, I didn't have sound in my games until we got a proper PC with an actual sound card & speakers in 1998 or 1999.

I had a stealth fighter game as well, can't remember the proper name of it, but it was class.

Edit: it was F-19 Stealth Fighter. What a game, and it looks so bad now, but I used to be glued to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Happy 20th Birthday DOOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I never had Dos computer. :( My first PC was pentium I 200mhz and thats when we already had Pentium III... So I guess I was windows 95 generation. :pac:
    Young ones and they're fancy pentiums.

The first game I remember playing was labyrinth on the BBC Micro, I remember that game blew me away because it said a word or laughed during the loading screen. Which was a new development to me.

Weren't most windows 3.1 games dos back then? I don't remember buying many games back then, you could get your hands on most of them for free.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Weren't most windows 3.1 games dos back then? I don't remember buying many games back then, you could get your hands on most of them for free.

Most yes, but 3.1 was just a fancy GUI for DOS to be fair. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dazberry wrote: »
    My first machine was a 286-10 with EGA, that was in 1989, most notable game was Starflight...

Just finished a replay of Dune II on android this time :)

Otherwise was a big fan of the original Duke Nukem, Syndicate, Decent to name but a few :)

D.

There is dune 2 on android!!!! I never knew it! I just downloaded and I think I will have a lot of fun in bed tonight! It wont include misses in any shape or form! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Has to be Doom or Championship Manager, ooh the hours I spent looking at a static screen watching those minutes tick up to 90

Back then games needed a manual especially the sims. They were much more complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

They were much more complex.

Dont think so.It might seem that way but couldnt imagine any dos machine running the likes of a total war game or indeed civ 4 or 5...theres some amount of computing power used in those games even ignoring the graphical overheads.

returnNull wrote: »
    Dont think so.It might seem that way but couldnt imagine any dos machine running the likes of a total war game or indeed civ 4 or 5...theres some amount of computing power used in those games even ignoring the graphical overheads.

I think he means a steeper learning curve/more you need to know in order to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Forgot Alone in the Dark - never finished it because the purple people eater in the library used to scare the crap out of me :D Needed a special set of knives to kill him I think. It's one game I keep meaning to go back to and hopefully finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Championship Manager 93, so many hours playing that listening to Automatic for the People on shuffle

nesf wrote: »
    I think he means a steeper learning curve/more you need to know in order to play.

Exactly. I was thinking of the amount of details in the manuals. The radar modes on F14 fleet defender were amazing. Or the mission planner in Tornado, where you could schedule 4 different flights to hit a target from 4 different directions seconds apart to flood the defences.

That said I wouldn't discount the amount of processing going on in these sims, especially things like Falcon, or these other similar sims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_(video_game_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Back then games needed a manual especially the sims. They were much more complex.

Ya, you would have to read the manual during the lengthly install, and hopefully know what you were at then.

Some games, you have to constantly go back to the manual.

Since moving to the 360 a few years ago, I haven't looked at a manual since, and now I don't think the games even come with them anymore.

The controls and games aren't as complex. Some are better designed, but you also have on-line resources which you didn't n the dos days. Really only got net access around the time of Windows 95. Netscape Navigator!

There are complex games these days. ARMA, Totol War etc, I just don't have a PC that can run them!

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ya, you would have to read the manual during the lengthly install, and hopefully know what you were at then.

Some games, you have to constantly go back to the manual.

Since moving to the 360 a few years ago, I haven't looked at a manual since, and now I don't think the games even come with them anymore.

also because we have more power for games they can put tutorials into the games which is a better way than reading a tome before starting a game

The old manuals were kinda needed as you play with keyboard maps and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I challenge anyone to get the Black Shark off the ground without a manual or cheat sheet even after following the tutorial in DCS:Black Shark :p

LOL that pause in Falcon 4 was mainly used to read the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I could look these up before I post but I'm going to go by memory and see how accurate I am.

Used to play Wolfenstein and if IIRC typing something like goobers after the code gave you suff like God Mode and level select, didn't lose your points unlike using the ILM cheat.

Also, Monkey Island had a genius bit in relation to the disks. There was a tree stump in the first one that you chose to look in and it said please insert disk ?. Can't remember the number but it was a number I didn't have. Searched everywhere for it and couldn't find it. Bugged me for a long time, no interenet or anything to tell me what I was missing.

It was years later when I was playing another Monkey Island (with unbelievably better graphics that there was an option to stick your head through a hole). Low and behold, your head appeared out of the tree trunk, in the crappy graphics of the first MI.

Genius designers with LucasArts.

Bear in mind, I may be totally wrong with some of the above, it's been years :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

Gapper, the adventures of aldo, silpheed and commander keen. Also I think I remember a Dungeons and dragons game

Advertisement