Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favourite DOS games?

Options
  • 08-12-2013 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

When I was young I used to have a C64 and BBC Micro (which isn't DOS I know) and it had Donkey Kong. Later I got a 386SX, which was no 486 and couldn't run Doom. I used to play Quest for Glory, Wolfenstein, Prince of Persia, Sim City, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Duke Nukem and Commander Keen. Later I had a Pentium166 MHz which was much better and could run Alone in the Dark, Doom and Quake. Back then it could be tricky to get your hands on software so I got a subscription to PC Zone magazine with discs and received free copies of Dune 2 and Frontier Elite 2. Later I got my hands on Another World, X-Com: UFO Defence and the sequel Terror from the deep. They where absolutely mind blowing genre defining games that sucked me in for hours. Have you fond memories of old DOS games? What kind of PC did you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The Lost Vikings!

TheLostVikings.png

Descent!

Descent.png

There was a port of Golden Axe for the PC as well, which was good too.

Foto+Golden+Axe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Blood (had a demo but purchased it later) or C&C Red Alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Had to be transport tycoon deluxe for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The correct answer is X-Com Ufo Defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The correct answer is X-Com Ufo Defense.

Ya, the game is a masterpiece. You may be interested in this presentation by Julian Gollop on the development of X-Com: UFO Defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The game that started me off as a wargamer/strategy gamer:

Screenshot-6.png

On a fancy 486SX of course. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Warcraft or doom

I had a 486dx. I remember buying the doom from virgin megastores. I was weighing up whether to get that or heretic. Warcraft was a birthday present my brother sent me. Played that game for ages. I still remember being sent into the deadmines to kill Griselda Blackhand for the warchief.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    The game that started me off as a wargamer/strategy gamer:

Screenshot-6.png

On a fancy 486SX of course. :D

Wasnt this on Sega mega drive 2 too?

I never had Dos computer. :( My first PC was pentium I 200mhz and thats when we already had Pentium III... So I guess I was windows 95 generation. :pac:

My favourite of course was always fallout 2.

Fallout-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Sword of the Samurai, it's a strategy/action game. You start off as a lowly Samurai and ascend through the ranks by various, sometimes nefarious, means. It's great fun. You can die/retire (or commit seppuku to atone for your shame) and if you have an heir you can continue as him!

sword_of_the_samurai.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

X-Wing
    Magic Carpet 2
    Syndicate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah I had a 386sx too, it was hard to get decent games that would run on it. Was envious of my friends who had a 486's a few years later that had a much wider pool of games.

I used to play Day of the Tentacle, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, I had a demo of a flight game called Retaliator, Prince of Persia, I had a mah jongg game... I can't think of anything else. Day of the Tentacle was probably the best game I ever got running on it, rented it out from a game shop down in Dundrum village was brilliant.

Got a 200mhz pentium in 1998 and never looked back...

Wasnt this on Sega mega drive 2 too?

No. It was ported to the Playstation two years after the PC release though, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

syndicate,doom,quake,duke nukem and civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Kingdom o' magic. Was a great looking point and click adventure was incredible amounts of sarcasm and humour. Even the manual was hilarious. I remember reading the troubleshooting section that went like this:

Issue-my screen is black
    Solution-turn on your computer

Issue-I ordered Kingdom o' magic but instead received a 12 set of steak knives, can I still play?
    Solution-no, steak knives are lacking the graphical power to run Kingdom of magic

God I miss that game

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I used to have Hook (as in Peter pan) on the 386. Great game! Oh and Hard Drivin' was another. Lemmings too of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The first two DOS games I got will also hold a special place for me - X-Wing and Rebel Assault Double Pack. I think I got them in Christmas 1998 on the White Label budget brand. Rebel Assault was fairly poor, but X-Wing was utterly fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Elite

Elite_org_cover.jpg

elite.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Wait... It was Little Big Adventure!

That game was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Commander Keen was ace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Llamatron! :pac:

Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Rise Of The Triads, etc, all those FPS games got big play in my house on the ol' Gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

My first machine was a 286-10 with EGA, that was in 1989, most notable game was Starflight...

Just finished a replay of Dune II on android this time :)

Otherwise was a big fan of the original Duke Nukem, Syndicate, Decent to name but a few :)

D.

dazberry wrote: »
    My first machine was a 286-10 with EGA, that was in 1989, most notable game was Starflight...

All I had in 1989 was a pass-me-down:

appleii-system.jpg

Decathalon, the murderer of many a 1 and 2 key. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

For me it has to be Dune II - sank so many hours into that game!

after that notable mentions for:

Wolf3d, Duke Nukem 1/2, Hugos House of horrors, Space Quest, Kings quest, Biomenace, Commander Keen I-VI

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Tie-Fighter for me.
    Having to create a Lucasarts boot floppy disk to get the most out of my 4mb of ram. Ahhh...memories.

I wish someone would remake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

X-COM Apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

The Secret of Monkey Island .... came on 15 or so floppy's ... and floppy 14 had a bad block .... sounds familiar :D

Good times ...good times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Polar101

Many of the ones already mentioned, of course. But I'd like to mention Wing Commander which was really something you could only experience on a PC - until WC many PC games weren't exactly graphically impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

weisses wrote: »
    .... came on 15 or so floppy's ...

So would you have ever loaded games from tape cassette? Or typed the actual code from a magazine?? The good old days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

branners69 wrote: »
    So would you have ever loaded games from tape cassette? Or typed the actual code from a magazine?? The good old days!!

Yeah i remember radio shows that broadcasted games so you could record it on tape

I didn't know how to adjust the heads on a c64 cassette recorder so i put kitchen towel under the cassette ...... good oal pp turbo

Advertisement