Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

(Would you like the)Motorway speed limit to be raised to 130km/h

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

re test everyone. How some people have licences amazes me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

unkel wrote: »
    Conclusion: (very) high speed on motorways does NOT kill

Zero deaths on autobahns in 2012?

I missed that bit. Which seite is it on?

Iwannahurl wrote: »

they can drive though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

if they put the speed limit up then the green party,eco warriors etc would be out in force complaining,JUST DONT VOTE THEM BACK INTO GOVERNMENT!!!!!

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    if they put the speed limit up then the green party,eco warriors etc would be out in force complaining,JUST DONT VOTE THEM BACK INTO GOVERNMENT!!!!!

doesn't travelling at higher speed use less fuel?

• Advertisement

increases it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but no, going faster uses much more fuel.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but no, going faster uses much more fuel.

sarcasm or else somone who never drove

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Not exactly, you may be getting confused with when someone says they saved fuel by taking the motorway. In this case you use less fuel because you are moving at a constant speed with no stop starts traffic which will usually use up more fuel than the same journey on the Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,206 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No. Not zero deaths. Did you not read my post? The number of deaths is down nearly 90% in recent decades. With the unlimited speed limit still in place.

There's every reason this trend will continue with perhaps only a few dozen deaths in another few decades

No need at all to get rid of the unlimited speed limit. This would not have a material impact on the number of deaths as you can see from the statistics

• Advertisement

For the statement "high speed does not kill" to be true, there would need to be zero deaths.

Deaths have occurred on autobahns, but clearly that road type is safer than others. Nothing new there.

Incidentally, my understanding is that only a small proportion of autobahns have no speed limit. Can't remember the figure but it has been posted somewhere on Boards at least once.

There are other reasons to limit speed, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pafro

For the statement "high speed does not kill" to be true, there would need to be zero deaths.

Deaths have occurred on autobahns, but clearly that road type is safer than others. Nothing new there.

Incidentally, my understanding is that only a small proportion of autobahns have no speed limit. Can't remember the figure but it has been posted somewhere on Boards at least once.

There are other reasons to limit speed, btw.

There are still quite a few places in Germany where there is no speed limit:
    http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/Limitkarte.pdf
    and
    http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/LegendeLimit_e.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

billie1b wrote: »
    110km in lane 2 and 3 and 80km in lane 1 for slower moving vehicles (trucks and buses). The reason the slip road is there is to build up to the speed or match the speed of the traffic you are merging into, not to pull onto a motorway with a speed of 120km at 60km.
    I had a lady one day in front of me pulling out from the Applegreen service station on the M4, she went down the slip road and completely stopped at the end of it, looked to her right and pulled out from a stop on the slip road straight into lane 1. Luckily it was a Sunday morning with hardly and traffic. If thats not dangerous, I dont know what is

There is a woman who does that every weekend on the M50 northbound entrance at Cherrywood. She goes into the shorter sliproad, crawls up at 20kph, stops at the top and waits for the motorway to clear. This is the 120kph 2 lane section btw.

The second time I saw it I reported her to traffic watch. Saw it again two weeks later.

Millions of people are driving at high speeds on Autobahns every day. So in case just one of them dies you're saying it's not safe?

What a load of nonsense. You might as well lock yourself in your house and wait to die safely of old age :pac:

pafro wrote: »
    There are still quite a few places in Germany where there is no speed limit:
    http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/Limitkarte.pdf
    and
    http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/LegendeLimit_e.pdf

That's very different to the gist of what I read on Boards previously.

I wasn't aware of the 130 km/h "recommended" limit. This raise an interesting question: what are the typical speeds on these autobahns, eg average and 85th Percentile speeds?

Any info on that I wonder?

Millions of people are driving at high speeds on Autobahns every day. So in case just one of them dies you're saying it's not safe?

What a load of nonsense. You might as well lock yourself in your house and wait to die safely of old age :pac:

No, I'm saying that the report linked to earlier refers to deaths on autobahns. The report, or any similar document, does not justify your own conclusion that "high speed does not kill".

That's very different to the gist of what I read on Boards previously.

I wasn't aware of the 130 km/h "recommended" limit. This raise an interesting question: what are the typical speeds on these autobahns, eg average and 85th Percentile speeds?

Any info on that I wonder?

i am in Germany at least every other month in different parts of it.
    Also drove twice the last 2 years with my own car through Germany to attend a meet of the car manifacturer i drive. (meet with some forum users I am moderator of)

In essence it is correct you can drive whatever speed you think is appropriate if there is no limit on the autobahn.

BUT....
    - there is construction all over the place which is mostly limited to 80/100km/h
    - Lorries.. There are sooo many lorries that mostly a 3 lane autobahn is down to 2 lanes due to the lorries.
    - Other drivers are slower than you and you have to break

I attached a screen shot of my GPS app on my iPhone that shows the speeds I was driving.
    As you can see, its not that you can drive 250+ for more than a half minute or so.
    6oeip5.png

However, Germans are just the better drivers than the Irish. While 99.9% of the drivers in Germany only use the overtaking lane to actually overtake, I find that the overtaking lane in Ireland is mostly blocked by people crawling along the motorway.
    Thats just one thing out of many that I noticed here.

In a country that size and with such an extensive network of motorways, there must be a huge variation in conditions.

I'd love the know what the data say.

Must search for German speed surveys...

In a country that size and with such an extensive network of motorways, there must be a huge variation in conditions.

I'd love the know what the data say.

Must search for German speed surveys...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/may/13/speed-limits-reduce-number-road-deaths

does not justify your own conclusion that "high speed does not kill".

Semantics much? Of course people die on motorways. People die on bicycles, people die watching TV on their sofa. That doesn't mean watching TV kills, now does it?

My point is that high speeds on Autobahns are perfectly safe*. Have you ever driven there?

*provided there's no Irish drivers in the overtaking lane on any of them at any time :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Cue one of my favourite videos on the subject: :)

His car is fitted with ABS, why didn't he try avoid the truck? Bit of a ridiculous video, 9 out of 10 people would try swerve out of the way of on coming danger

There is a woman who does that every weekend on the M50 northbound entrance at Cherrywood. She goes into the shorter sliproad, crawls up at 20kph, stops at the top and waits for the motorway to clear. This is the 120kph 2 lane section btw.

The second time I saw it I reported her to traffic watch. Saw it again two weeks later.

Its a disgrace how they do it and get away with it, they shouldn't be allowed on any road driving like that let alone a motorway

My point is that high speeds on Autobahns are perfectly safe. [/SIZE]

Define "perfectly safe" please.

And btw, can you quote the bit in this article where that conclusion is supported?

I've only glanced at it so far. Will read it later when I get a chance.

His car is fitted with ABS, why didn't he try avoid the truck? Bit of a ridiculous video, 9 out of 10 people would try swerve out of the way of on coming danger

Missing the (educational) point entirely.

Missing the (educational) point entirely.

Not missing the educational point at all, I know what the video is saying and doing, its just not a realistic conclusion, it was totally avoidable for the car in the outside lane, the video is saying the opposite of what you should do in the situation.

The car in Lane 1 had nowhere to go as he was blocked but the car in lane 2, though going slightly faster had time to react and avoid a collision, not just sit and go straight into it and see what happens. If that truck was 2 kids crossing the road it would have a totally different outcome.

Controlled experiment, dry road, three probably professional drivers all signalled when to brake, means total jack **** to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

They can raise the limit all they want. Lots of cars do this already and enforcement is minimal on motorways. Rightly so too. So drive away lads!

In my case, doing 130 will not get me to work much quicker. But it will use up a few hundred euro a year extra in fuel. I have too many other things to pay for to be filling up more than i do. Lots of people are in the same boat so wanting everyone to do the speed you want is unrealistic. Lane disipline improvements would allow those who wish to go quicker to do so.

In a nutshell AGS should enforce lane discipline and the rest will sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, that's logically inconsistent, because you would need to show that all deaths are caused by high speeds.

Because someone has died on the autobahn, does not indicate that high speed was the causative factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I think you have missed the point of the video utterly.

Demonstrations of braking distance differences can be quite bland and are not always good enough for viewers to get the point.

A perfectly visible example of what that distance can mean is much more effective.

It takes one thing to block the avoidance action which you are dismissing the whole concept of distance differentials with.

Seems very obvious to me but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

seamus wrote: »
    No, that's logically inconsistent, because you would need to show that all deaths are caused by high speeds.

Because someone has died on the autobahn, does not indicate that high speed was the causative factor.
    Correct. Bad driving is more likely to be the cause. The higher speed just made the injuries more severe.

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »
    I think you have missed the point of the video utterly.

Demonstrations of braking distance differences can be quite bland and are not always good enough for viewers to get the point.

A perfectly visible example of what that distance can mean is much more effective.

It takes one thing to block the avoidance action which you are dismissing the whole concept of distance differentials with.

Seems very obvious to me but that's just me.

The video and what the video stands for is obvious, breaking distance, but what i'm saying is the video is not very educational, some people, not all, will think because of the video that its ok to just brake and hit whatever is in the way, when in fact you should be trying to avoid it at all possible chances

Advertisement