Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

(Would you like the)Motorway speed limit to be raised to 130km/h

Options
  • 08-12-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like there is a proposal to raise speed limits on Irish motorways to 130km/h.

http://www.thejournal.ie/motorway-speed-limits-1203502-Dec2013/

Would you be for or against?

Should speed limit on Irish motorways be raised to 130km/h 343 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 343 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd be all for it, but only on the basis that motorway driving is brought in as part of the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

CiniO wrote: »
    Looks like there is a proposal to raise speed limits on Irish motorways to 130km/h.

Would you be for or against?

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Source?

I forgot to put up the link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Lane discipline , road manners, observation and anticipation etc - if these aren't improved it doesn't matter what the speed limit is.

120-130 is a small enough increase to be meaningless IMHO.

Also, who's making this proposal? Someone reputable or a random looney who has no chance of influencing anything?

Edit: surely it's already a dead duck...
    A CALL FROM TD Clare Daly that the motorway speed limit be raised from 120km per hour to 130km per hour has been rejected by Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be all for it, but only on the basis that motorway driving is brought in as part of the driving test.

I'd agree but the problem with this though is that it could prove difficult in parts of the country that don't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Mikros

This ^

A lot of people take 130 km/h as the limit already, so raising it to 130 would see the same people probably going around an indicated 140 km/h. The standard of most motorways in the country is well capable of those speeds, but it's the person dawdling along at 100 km/h in the overtaking lane or pulling out without checking blind spots that would have me worried.

You do also have to acknowledge the increased fuel consumption, pollution and noise that go with the increased speed, but I think most modern cars are more capable of 130 km/h than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

There isnt a proposal though.A TD just asked the minister in question time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I would be in favour of increasing motorway speed limits. When original limits were set cars could bearly reach the speed limits advancements in cars technology over last couple of decades means they brake better and more stable at higher speeds.

It would reduce trave times between cities and that has to be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the limit was set just a few years ago when we went Metric. Cars have been capable of higher speeds for decades

I don't think there's much point in this, when did you last meet a Gard on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Exactly, this is not going to happen. Just someone suggested it, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Exactly, this is not going to happen. Just someone suggested it, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The article says there is no proposal.

Any how, with the current lack of understanding, in terms of lane use, and disapline, the current speed is just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

There is too much wrong with how Irish motorists use motorways as a whole, in a general way, that speeding things up may just add to problems. Maybe very slightly but it is not going to make anything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Voted NO.

Because speed limit (IMO) should be raised to 140 km/h.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Tbh I have no problem with them increasing the speed limit on motorways. If I'm honest, I do 130 kph on motorways anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

More speed would be no harm.

Would prefer more education on motorway driving though tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Bar the M50, which is too busy, I think all of our motorways should have no speed limit at all. IMO the roads are well enough designed and made that there is no safety benefit to having speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bigroad

I would like to see the higher speed limit but in saying that the most important limit to be raised is the 50kmh minimum speed limit.Banning all tractors from motorways.
    Driver education needs to be looked at.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Bar the M50, which is too busy, I think all of our motorways should have no speed limit at all. IMO the roads are well enough designed and made that there is no safety benefit to having speed limits.

They're not. When you drive on motorways in the UK, France and Germany you'll realise that our motorways are like laneways compared to roads over there.

The M50 holds far too much water, as does the M7 and M9. The M1 isn't fantastic either. Given our weather patterns, I wouldn't fancy hitting standing water at high speed. I've hit it before on the M7 at the speed limit, and that was a hairy experience.

We also have an awful infrastructure system on our motorways. Kill is the last service station between Dublin and Cork on the motorway - all the other services further along the route involve leaving the motorway for 5 minutes to get there.

The N11 is similar - I could drive from Wexford to Dublin, and there isn't one Motorway services on the Gorey Bypass, Arklow Bypass or N11 from the Beehive onwards. In fact, if I was to drive from Wexford to Belfast, the first on Motorway Services I would meet would be Lusk....

Driving at higher speeds means more concentration is required, which means more driver breaks are required, which means more places for people to stop is required.

In actual fact, rather than raise the current speed limit, I'd rather see a minimum limit brought in.

Merging into traffic travelling at up to 120kph doing 80kph is not acceptable, and is far more dangerous than someone exceeding the speed limit by a reasonable margin IMO.

Pulling into the overtaking lane without matching the speed of the traffic already in that lane is also an inherent problem. Travelling at 120kph to suddenly have to reduce your speed to 80kph or worse on occasion because someone cannot complete an overtaking manoeuvre on a motorway properly is not only very frustrating, but also dangerous.

• Advertisement

They're not. When you drive on motorways in the UK, France and Germany you'll realise that our motorways are like laneways compared to roads over there.

The M50 holds far too much water, as does the M7 and M9. The M1 isn't fantastic either. Given our weather patterns, I wouldn't fancy hitting standing water at high speed. I've hit it before on the M7 at the speed limit, and that was a hairy experience.

We also have an awful infrastructure system on our motorways. Kill is the last service station between Dublin and Cork on the motorway - all the other services further along the route involve leaving the motorway for 5 minutes to get there.

The N11 is similar - I could drive from Wexford to Dublin, and there isn't one Motorway services on the Gorey Bypass, Arklow Bypass or N11 from the Beehive onwards. In fact, if I was to drive from Wexford to Belfast, the first on Motorway Services I would meet would be Lusk....

Driving at higher speeds means more concentration is required, which means more driver breaks are required, which means more places for people to stop is required.

In my (somewhat limited I will admit) experience of driving in Germany is that the road surfaces are rougher and the exits have little advance warning and have very tight bends. I think the availability of service stations has absolutely no effect on the safety of driving quickly on a road. Roads are clearly better with them but only from a connivance point of view.
    I thought it went without saying that you would still need to slow down if there is standing water on the road. Ofter in those situations it is unsafe to drive at 120 so I don't see how the lack of a speed limit would change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In actual fact, rather than raise the current speed limit, I'd rather see a minimum limit brought in.

What should the minimum speed be in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

quite agree about the state of our motorways. The M8 has had an 80 k "temporary" limit in force near Mitchelstown for months due to standing water when it rains. Thi isn't even being addressed as far as I can see

In my (somewhat limited I will admit) experience of driving in Germany is that the road surfaces are rougher and the exits have little advance warning and have very tight bends. I think the availability of service stations has absolutely no effect on the safety of driving quickly on a road. Roads are clearly better with them but only from a connivance point of view.
    I thought it went without saying that you would still need to slow down if there is standing water on the road. Ofter in those situations it is unsafe to drive at 120 so I don't see how the lack of a speed limit would change this.

Services serve two purposes on a motorway.

The first is indeed from a convenience point of view - I need a drink, I want chocolate, etc etc etc.

The second is more important, and is linked to driving at speed (or any speed for that matter) which is an opportunity for the driver to take a break. If there are few or no services, a driver is much less likely to pull off the motorway to take a rest. If they are there, then it's well posted for the driver to see, and almost automatically you'll find yourself telling you that you need to take a rest, and you'll pull in.

You're correct when you say that you should slow down in wet conditions anyway, but certain elements of the driving community will always think they're more capable than they are, and not realise it until it's too late. With the speed limit, they're kept under control somewhat, but without a speed limit you'll find a lot more people not driving to the speed that conditions dictate.

Regardless of the above, the motorways I mentioned (and possibly others around the country) are still holding far too much water. Hit certain spots at 80kph and it's hard work to control a car, never mind 100 or 120kph. We get enough rain here to warrant someone building a motorway that could at least disperse a few hours of rain.

CiniO wrote: »
    What should the minimum speed be in your opinion?

Haha, this could be a loaded question....

I think that if you are not capable of driving at 80kph + on a motorway, you probably have no earthly business being there. In my opinion.

And yes, I come across quite a few vehicles travelling at speeds lower than this on motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd agree with the above posts saying that am increase in the limit is pointless without proper education and enforcement of motorway driving rules. Even just yesterday I was doing a short stretch on the M4 and had no less than three people pulling out in front of me in the overtaking lane when it was unsafe to do so. News flash dickheads, the safe breaking distance which I've left to the car in front of me is not a gap for you to plonk your SUV in and potter along at 100 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That articles seems to be all wrong. Another point it makes is that the 80kph is being removed on Regional roads which isn't true at all.

As others have said in the past, we went with the wrong speed limit intervals.

130, 110, 90, 70 and 50 is what we should have gone with.

130kph for motorways and decent quality hqdc.

110kph for National Roads and Regional roads deemed capable of the speed

90kph for National and Regional road not deemed capable of 80kph.

70kph for regional and local roads not deemed good enough for 90kph

I'm all for 130kph on motorways. I personally set my cruise control to 130kph and drive away. No sensible Garda will ever do you for this speed on a motorway. Rubberstamping in law would be a positive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

That articles seems to be all wrong. Another point it makes is that the 80kph is being removed on Regional roads which isn't true at all.

As others have said in the past, we went with the wrong speed limit intervals.

130, 110, 90, 70 and 50 is what we should have gone with.

130kph for motorways and decent quality hqdc.

110kph for National Roads and Regional roads deemed capable of the speed

90kph for National and Regional road not deemed capable of 80kph.

70kph for regional and local roads not deemed good enough for 90kph

I'm all for 130kph on motorways. I personally set my cruise control to 130kph and drive away. No sensible Garda will ever do you for this speed on a motorway. Rubberstamping in law would be a positive though.

Despite a wee typo for the 90kph, I like the sound of that.

Though, if we raise the speed I will feel less rebellious going 123kph on the sat nav =(

Services serve two purposes on a motorway.

The first is indeed from a convenience point of view - I need a drink, I want chocolate, etc etc etc.

The second is more important, and is linked to driving at speed (or any speed for that matter) which is an opportunity for the driver to take a break. If there are few or no services, a driver is much less likely to pull off the motorway to take a rest. If they are there, then it's well posted for the driver to see, and almost automatically you'll find yourself telling you that you need to take a rest, and you'll pull in.

You're correct when you say that you should slow down in wet conditions anyway, but certain elements of the driving community will always think they're more capable than they are, and not realise it until it's too late. With the speed limit, they're kept under control somewhat, but without a speed limit you'll find a lot more people not driving to the speed that conditions dictate.

Regardless of the above, the motorways I mentioned (and possibly others around the country) are still holding far too much water. Hit certain spots at 80kph and it's hard work to control a car, never mind 100 or 120kph. We get enough rain here to warrant someone building a motorway that could at least disperse a few hours of rain.

What would you think of a system where a speed limit could be introduced and enforced depending on conditions but most of the time there was none?

I think what would happen is that people would go mad for a while because they can but then slow down again when they see their fuel consumption :P

• Advertisement

What would you think of a system where a speed limit could be introduced and enforced depending on conditions but most of the time there was none?

I think what would happen is that people would go mad for a while because they can but then slow down again when they see their fuel consumption :P

It sounds great on paper, but I've highlighted the big problem with your statement....

No offence to members of AGS reading this, but there is very little enforcement on motorways (with the exception of shooting fish in barrels) so I don't think it would ever work.

Then when it is enforced, you'll have people challenging decisions in court, as any enforcement could only be subject to the Garda's opinion. It wouldn't be concrete like - you were doing 150kph in a 120kph zone, here's the proof.

Advertisement