Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod Licence

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just what percentage of anglers are represented by federations? As I said on another thread last year, I raised the licence issue at a few beaches last year and with people I met while pike fishing and not one was in a club, knew about any federations or had heard anything about a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Just what percentage of anglers are represented by federations? As I said on another thread last year, I raised the licence issue at a few beaches last year and with people I met while pike fishing and not one was in a club, knew about any federations or had heard anything about a licence

All federations means that, pro and anti angler contributions (not licence). I would think that they would represent maybe just over 50% of the regular anglers in Ireland. It would vary. I would think maybe 75% of game anglers would be in clubs for the simple reason that to get to fish most game waters you have to be in a club. Maybe 25% or so of pike/coarse anglers would be in a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Very few sea anglers views represented. The idea of collecting 'contributions' from sea anglers to develop the sea fishery is farcical. So at the very least we can only hope that common sense prevails there.

Good to sea that a debate is taking place on this anyhow. Somehow I don't think the Minister will be letting his intentions known till after the local elections.

mattcullen wrote: »
    Very few sea anglers views represented. The idea of collecting 'contributions' from sea anglers to develop the sea fishery is farcical. So at the very least we can only hope that common sense prevails there.

Good to sea that a debate is taking place on this anyhow. Somehow I don't think the Minister will be letting his intentions known till after the local elections.

I made the point on a similar earlier thread. Many sea anglers would not benefit at all. Particularly if not in the popular tourist areas. It's the same for pike fishing in the less well trodden areas of the country. I can see game fishing benefitting - and I am a trout angler myself - but not much beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

I made the point on a similar earlier thread. Many sea anglers would not benefit at all. Particularly if not in the popular tourist areas. It's the same for pike fishing in the less well trodden areas of the country. I can see game fishing benefitting - and I am a trout angler myself - but not much beyond that.

I agree this idea that sea anglers should pay just shows how poorly this whole thing is being thought out.

• Advertisement

Guy gets 3 weeks Summer holidays and hits the pier with mates or kids and has to pay to bash a few mackerel? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

It's hard to imagine how they would enforce a licence on anyone who is shore angling. On the other hand a few fisheries officers doing a spot check on a warm summers evening on a pier could net some extra revenue...a bit like shooting fish in a barrel so to speak. On the other hand, even at that, confiscating a lot of fishing gear is the best they would probably do.

(excuse all the puns, couldn't resist :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I don't want to go too off topic, but I was wondering could someone enlighten me as to the idea behind:
    1. National Angler register
    2. National Identity Card
    3. Penalty points system for anglers

I haven't heard these mentioned before. Is it proposed that this would be part and parcel of the new licence system? Or are these separate issues??

(Mod feel free to edit my post as you see fit)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Best bet is ask your question here..

No Rod Licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Or that group could just answer the bloody question here rather than spamming their facebook page!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Best bet is ask your question here..

No Rod Licence

Yeah, cos that's a reliable independent source of information... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Got my dodder licence earlier but sure what's the fcukin point. Over on a walk at dodder now and there's 5 lads fishing. Reported it but sure nothing will be done. I'm on me own so I can only say so much

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

Got my dodder licence earlier but sure what's the fcukin point. Over on a walk at dodder now and there's 5 lads fishing. Reported it but sure nothing will be done. I'm on me own so I can only say so much

I've given up talking to poachers on the Tolka. The local Irish lads are the worst for it in my experience.

I'd happily pay a rod license on top of my club license if it would provide the infrastructure for protecting and developing my local waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

fiacha wrote: »
    I've given up talking to poachers on the Tolka. The local Irish lads are the worst for it in my experience.

I'd happily pay a rod license on top of my club license if it would provide the infrastructure for protecting and developing my local waters.

do you honestly think I.F.I. will protect your river from poachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

chessman wrote: »
    do you honestly think I.F.I. will protect your river from poachers?

They're gonna have to do something because I was talking to lads yesterday while I walked the river and I said if nothing is done about it lads will end up taking the law into their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

They're gonna have to do something because I was talking to lads yesterday while I walked the river and I said if nothing is done about it lads will end up taking the law into their own hands.

Now now then you will be the criminal along with the poachers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Got this today
    Statement of 7 April 2014

Angling Charges

The Minister of State Fergus O Dowd TD has confirmed that a compulsory charge for anglers will not be introduced in the context of the proposed new inland fisheries legislation. He has also stated there is no such proposal for consideration.

The context for new legislation is the need to bring the legislative code in the sector into a system that is fit for the 21st Century. In that regard, under existing legislation breach of fisheries legislation can result in prosecution, potentially leading to imprisonment. It has been raised in consultation as to whether there is a better way and if lesser breaches could be taken outside the court system perhaps via a fixed penalty system.

There are no predetermined proposals for any issue for new legislation and the consultation process is on-going. The Minister of State has made repeatedly clear that he wishes to see the fullest possible level of consensus before any proposals are finalised. He also gave a commitment at recent meetings with the Angling Bodies that no proposal will be finalised until the current round of inter-federation discussions are complete, and that he will not facilitate any proposals which might be a source of division within the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

But am i right in interpreting it that a "fixed penalty" system for angling offences would necessitate the compulsory introduction of an angler identification card to facilitate its operation? Also without an angler contribution charge, where will IFI generate revenue for development now that EU funding is no longer forthcoming?? Or are anglers prepared to see fisheries fall into disrepair over their supposed principles. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    But am i right in interpreting it that a "fixed penalty" system for angling offences would necessitate the compulsory introduction of an angler identification card to facilitate its operation? Also without an angler contribution charge, where will IFI generate revenue for development now that EU funding is no longer forthcoming?? Or are anglers prepared to see fisheries fall into disrepair over their supposed principles. ....

Well, the less IFI get involved in waters that hold pike the better it will be for pike

• Advertisement

rpmcmurphy wrote: »

You need to move to this area. Disrepair? There has never been any IFI involvement in the waters here. Any repair or improvements have been done by ourselves from the local clubs.
    One more reason for not paying a rod licence so they can improve angling only where there is tourist interest.

Advertisement