Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod Licence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Well, you may just believe it. I have been fishing for almost 60 years and I know what I'm talking about in this area.

Ah come off it. Seriously. I know what I'm talking about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

jkchambers wrote: »
    I think that there will be a lot more consultation on this whole issue and maybe there will be. Proposal should be put on the table and there should be a good length of time for anglers and clubs to study and comment on them.

you'd like to think so, but get the feeling they will put in place so fast no one has time to ask questions or debate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

So the proposal is to get rid of the salmon licence and the most unfair midland lakes licence and have a €40 fee and the angler states which section they wish the money to go into. Is that right? What happens the salmon tags?

Seems to be a lot of confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

you'd like to think so, but get the feeling they will put in place so fast no one has time to ask questions or debate the issue.

IFI and Minister Fergus O'Dowd have had open meetings with anglers about this during the summer. It will be at least next summer before everything is finalized

how did people find out about these meetings? never heard a peep about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

There were adverts in National dailies. Angling federations were informed though I dont think many got word out to affiliated clubs. I know that we (pike fed) certainly did. I posted notices of the meetings on 5 or 6 message boards

IFI and Minister Fergus O'Dowd have had open meetings with anglers about this during the summer. It will be at least next summer before everything is finalized

I think it could be a couple of years down the line if it comes in at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Coarse and Pike Angling forums, it was talked a lot on them over the summer

Interesting, well attended meeting today. Inland Fisheries Ireland invited all the federations to the meeting. There has been a lot of debate on the issue of angler contributions. It was decided that a line be drawn under proposals to date on this issue. All the federations will meet in January to discuss all aspects of the new legislation. This will include trying to see whether an agreed position on angler development contributions could be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

can you tell me who were the trout anglers represented by?

• Advertisement

Both TAFI and NARA were there

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

more info here for anyone interested;

https://www.facebook.com/norodlicence

Interesting, well attended meeting today. Inland Fisheries Ireland invited all the federations to the meeting. There has been a lot of debate on the issue of angler contributions. It was decided that a line be drawn under proposals to date on this issue. All the federations will meet in January to discuss all aspects of the new legislation. This will include trying to see whether an agreed position on angler development contributions could be reached.

So it's as you were for 2014 and beyond? No changes to the current very unfair system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fisheries friend

wonder will the employ full time fisheries officers with this new bill?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fisheries friend

i suppose a good thing with id cards will be that repeat offenders will now be got....no more for a guy ta hit a lake and if he's got just go to another part of the country and do it all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

For an insight into the proposed Rod Licence, check here. Don't listen to the spin.

No State Rod Licence in Ireland

Click in the "Like" button to show your support.

For an insight into the proposed Rod Licence, check here. Don't listen to the spin.

No State Rod Licence in Ireland

Click in the "Like" button to show your support.

There is a lot of spin on that facebook page OK. Most things twisted. That said, they are entitled to their opinion as are those who support an angler contribution to a 100% ringfenced development/protect/youth fund where anglers have a say in the spending of the funds

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I have no intenion in engaging with you.

Feel free to air your comments on No State Rod Licence in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Discussion on this is quite useless as there are so many anglers plugging federations while many more have no involvement or knowledge of these federations whatsoever. There is a two tier system for angling in this country. People can pike fish or sea fish all their lives without encountering a club or federation. Areas of the country without strong angling tourism are also forgotten about.

Discussion on this is quite useless as there are so many anglers plugging federations while many more have no involvement or knowledge of these federations whatsoever. There is a two tier system for angling in this country. People can pike fish or sea fish all their lives without encountering a club or federation. Areas of the country without strong angling tourism are also forgotten about.

That is very true. Too many federations, societies, lobby groups, experts etc etc. personally I am fishing over thirty years and I have no interest in any of them.

• Advertisement

There is a lot of spin on that facebook page OK. Most things twisted. That said, they are entitled to their opinion as are those who support an angler contribution to a 100% ringfenced development/protect/youth fund where anglers have a say in the spending of the funds

Ring fenced my arse.

I love how something someone disagrees with is always referred to a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

True......

EmptyTree wrote: »
    True......

Don't worry I meant it for both sides!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

TAFI are afraid if a fee comes in for angling... the knock on is that people will not affiliate to these organisations and instead invest their money into the development of all types fisheries and angling and I dont see that as being a bad thing once we have a say where our money goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

TAFI are afraid if a fee comes in for angling... the knock on is that people will not affiliate to these organisations and instead invest their money into the development of all types fisheries and angling and I dont see that as being a bad thing once we have a say where our money goes.

"__INSTEAD INVEST"_ are you saying anglers are giving money to TAFI to invest in trout angling? As for having a say on where the money is spent
    ask the salmon anglers where their conservation levy is going?

chessman wrote: »
    "__INSTEAD INVEST"_ are you saying anglers are giving money to TAFI to invest in trout angling? As for having a say on where the money is spent

to be fair a hell of a lot of work has been done on rivers to improve spawning beds and the like. there is a 'pot' of money made available for angling clubs to put proposals together to draw from this pot for improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

chessman wrote: »

Why do angling clubs and federations exist? Is it for the benefit of angling? Or for the benefit of itself? Anglers must unify to become a strong voice in the creation of the new fishery legislation, but this will not happen as people let minor differences obstruct what angling really needs.
    On the matter of conservation stamp, The conservation fund is open to all clubs and fishery managers, and we as clubs should be tapping into these funds with our ideas and projects... Why? Well instead of bickering, can go and say yes, I made a difference. I want the resource that was made available for me to be as accessible and available for my grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm more bothered about people who'd rather "engage" in a controlled environment like facebook, rather than on an open and independently moderated forum like here tbh.

• Advertisement

Why do angling clubs and federations exist? Is it for the benefit of angling? Or for the benefit of itself? Anglers must unify to become a strong voice in the creation of the new fishery legislation, but this will not happen as people let minor differences obstruct what angling really needs.
    On the matter of conservation stamp, The conservation fund is open to all clubs and fishery managers, and we as clubs should be tapping into these funds with our ideas and projects... Why? Well instead of bickering, can go and say yes, I made a difference. I want the resource that was made available for me to be as accessible and available for my grandchildren.
    All the federations have been meeting discussing the new legislation. They are talking about all aspects of the proposed new bill APART from the angler contribution issue. We had a meeting a couple of weeks ago and there will be another in Dublin on Saturday. There has been a certain amount of sniping at the meetings but we are getting on with it.

Advertisement