Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod Licence

Options
  • 07-12-2013 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Heard the Government are introducing a new rod licence or some such scheme...........................Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There have been several threads on here about it.

This is just one -http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057079599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Thanks. New to this internet stuff :( I actually had a look at the thread titles before I posted and nothing looked to cover it.

I'll read that thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

ive read all the threads about this and im none the wiser :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JimFish

It a comin. Checkl out attachment:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

JimFish wrote: »
    It a comin. Checkl out attachment:confused:

Is that an official IFI or Dept document ?

• Advertisement

im still none the wiser to me all this new proposed statements and Jargan is really just an excuse to keep someone in a job in IFI why cant they just say in lay mans terms it will cost you this amount if your a coarse fishing ,,,this much for sea fishing ,,for salmon or trout this much and be done with it so it can be discussed instead of peeing around the rim and using what happend in 1950 and how great it was in 72 :confused:

Basically it is proposed that there be a compulsory angler contribution of around €40. When you make your contribution you indicate which fund you want you money to go into - pike, trout, coarse etc. That money goes into a ringfenced fund and will be spent on fisheries development, protection , youth angling etc. Management committees including anglers will be set up to spend the money by giving grant aid to clubs etc. The salmon licence will be scrapped. The Midland permit which you need to fish the Inny and Suck systems, Brosna etc will also be scrapped. There will be a reduced rate for juniors and tourists etc.

so will this be added to the current Fishing Licence or are they gonna change the whole protocol

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    so will this be added to the current Fishing Licence or are they gonna change the whole protocol

What current fishing licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

you just no all the money will go to paying directors who will sit in meetings scratching their arses and doing nothing. how they can ask sea anglers to pay a contribution when trawlers are hoovering up all the fish they are targetting i dont know! imagine having a rainbow trout fishery or a coarse fishery and chatging lads to fish it, but also let guys go in with nets! makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JimFish

I cannot state categorically the document source but I believe it is authentic. My big gripe is that on my on fishing terirory (Lough Ree) there are twelve commercial net licences for trout. I cannot keep a fish under 14 inches(which I agree with) but the net men can keep any over 12 inches, sour taste to licence under those circumstances especially when I return nearly all my fish unharmed.

I cannot state categorically the document source but I believe it is authentic. My big gripe is that on my on fishing terirory (Lough Ree) there are twelve commercial net licences for trout. I cannot keep a fish under 14 inches(which I agree with) but the net men can keep any over 12 inches, sour taste to licence under those circumstances especially when I return nearly all my fish unharmed.

Thats nuts! how they can get away with that ****e is unreal!

I think that document may have been up on the IFI website for a short time. Those commercial nets on Ree are a problem OK. Think they will have to bought out at sometime. Cant just cancel them as they would end up in court like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

the money will be ringfenced for the directors and their buddies and their fat fat pension schemes and huge salaries and jack s**t will be spent on fisheries come on people have ye not figured out how this great little country works yet. they will do anything to get a few quid in

It will certainly do nothing for anglers in areas not renowned for fishing. Who's going to stock or improve a small pike lake in Louth? Or what's in this for a guy who shore fishes in Meath on his own or with a couple of mates. All this will serve is the Salmon and trout angling in the favoured waters., or pike angling for tourists on the major lakes. I keep saying it but apart from membership to fish some trout or salmon waters, most anglers I know who shore fish or coarse fish are not members of any clubs or federations.

All the Federations have been requested to attend a meeting with IFI on Tuesday afternoon

jkchambers wrote: »
    All the Federations have been requested to attend a meeting with IFI on Tuesday afternoon

Hooray! Some federations, that we know nothing about and know nothing of us, will sort it all out! Three cheers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hooray! Some federations, that we know nothing about and know nothing of us, will sort it all out! Three cheers!

I take your point, but federations do represent a lot of anglers, and can communicate to a large number of anglers through clubs, so it makes sense for IFI to meet federations as it enables them to deal with a large number of stakeholders at one time, without going through the obviously ridiculous alternative of individually meeting every angler in the country. Unless that is what you are proposing...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

what will this rod licence give back to angler. will salmon licence still be needed. anyone read report??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

what will this rod licence give back to angler. will salmon licence still be needed. anyone read report??:confused:

Read first page of thread???:confused:

(post no.8)

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Read first page of thread???:confused:

(post no.8)

okay read it don,t see problem as long as juniors is 5 euro or less??
    seems to make sense

okay read it don,t see problem as long as juniors is 5 euro or less??
    seems to make sense

Exactly as I said. Salmon anglers get to keep the privileges their sport brings, with protection, stocking, access etc by just paying this licence instead of their current licence. The rest of the country can just continue their angling with no advantages except they now have to pay a licence to fish the small lake down the road that has no facilities nor interest from IFI or othersothers, or pay a licence to go down to a shore when fish are like hens teeth just for the fun of it. Or to fish for a few mackerel during their summer holidays. A very one sided arrangement that suits Salmon anglers, clubs and federations.

Exactly as I said. Salmon anglers get to keep the privileges their sport brings, with protection, stocking, access etc by just paying this licence instead of their current licence. The rest of the country can just continue their angling with no advantages except they now have to pay a licence to fish the small lake down the road that has no facilities nor interest from IFI or othersothers, or pay a licence to go down to a shore when fish are like hens teeth just for the fun of it. Or to fish for a few mackerel during their summer holidays. A very one sided arrangement that suits Salmon anglers, clubs and federations.

yeah I agree, I personally am a trout angler and it looks like a good idea to me imho,.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I would bet money that more fines are issued by IFI in your area for Coarse fish offences than Game.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I would bet money that more fines are issued by IFI in your area for Coarse fish offences than Game.

I don't understand what you mean by that. I've never heard of anybody being fined for either and I fish both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I don't understand what you mean by that. I've never heard of anybody being fined for either and I fish both?

Essentially what I mean to do is to refute your "no facilitates nor interest from IFI or others" argument.
    Do you mean to tell us all that you believe there are no fixed penalty notices/ on the spot fines issued in your area? Nor indeed any court proceedings instigated against those in breach of fisheries legislation? Ever?
    I mean I don't believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Essentially what I mean to do is to refute your "no facilitates nor interest from IFI or others" argument.
    Do you mean to tell us all that you believe there are no fixed penalty notices/ on the spot fines issued in your area? Nor indeed any court proceedings instigated against those in breach of fisheries legislation? Ever?

No, he's saying that it will cost him 40 euros to fish the lake he's been quitely fishing and doing no harm for last few years.

This will not work well for small clubs on small rivers.

I fish the Dodder from time to time club membership is something like 10 or 20 euros and it's a great little river with a good stock of wild trout.

I'm not involved with the club but from what I can see they do a great job looking after the river. I bet there are lots of members like me that are happy to join but only fish it a hand full of times. I'd say that makes up a large part of the clubs income. With the 40 euro charge a lot like me will drop out. That will reduce their income and I bet they will get a very small slice of the income from the new license.

Well, you may just believe it. I have been fishing for almost 60 years and I know what I'm talking about in this area.

I cant see it working for sea fishing at all, i mean if the money is meant to go into improving fishing and policing neither is possible for the sea.

For coarse fishing rivers and lakes can be improved to improve the quality of fishing and can be policed and needs to be policed due to people starting to eat coarse fish which was never a real problem in the past.

For game fishing there already is a license for salmon and it seems to be policed and regeneration work is carried out.

I myself fish for everything but would mainly fish for trout on rivers and occasionally lakes. If im going to have to pay 40E to fish i will expect to be tripping over baliffs enforcing bag/size limits. i'd expect water quality to be monitored and trout spawning beds to be protected and enhanced.

Do i expect anything like this to happen? absolutely not. Do i expect the money to fall into a bottomless pit that goes to clearing national debt.... more than likely!

• Advertisement

I think that there will be a lot more consultation on this whole issue and maybe there will be. Proposal should be put on the table and there should be a good length of time for anglers and clubs to study and comment on them.

Advertisement