Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas messages from politicians

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Sarky wrote: »
    It's City Council paper, so the City Council paid for it. Which means taxpayer money.

Well, I'd like my card back please. :p

On a more serious note, this stuff drives me barmy. I obviously don't know what the cost of all these cards and delivery is but presumably it could have gone to fix at least one of the potholes on Buttevant main street, or where ever. It is such a bl**dy waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

jimd2 wrote: »
    As I said don't be getting your knickers in a twist over this issue. Not an issue worthy of a thread on this site and is only brought up by people that seem to have very little to worry about.

It's a tip of the iceberg problem. In showing this level of unthink about the implications of sending a religious xmas card, this politician has shown a lack of regard to some of his prospective voters. He is a public representative, not just of those with the same invisible friend. If this lack of consideration is typical I fear for the rest of his decisions.

That he is a member of Final Failure only compounds this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Both, really, but primarily the latter. Very mixed bunch of people in this area of all sorts of faiths and none. Sending them all a picture of the virgin Mary in a stable and wishing them a happy christmas is at the very least totally tactless. I certainly think it's bad taste.

I think you're going out of your way to be offended here. It seems like he's assuming everybody celebrates christmas (which a tremendous amount of athiests do, regardless of the hypocrisy) or assuming that in a largely christian country even people of other faiths and none would recognise that it's an important holiday here.
    Im the first person to jump in and have a go at FF but you're just looking for stuff to offended by here

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And, yes, if an elderly aunt happens to have the temerity to send you a card with some religuous sentiment make sure you put her in her place about the sheer stupidity of her and her fellow religuous cronies!
    I'm sure the aunt is not using a hundred thousand euro that could be better spend at your local childrens hospital, to send out said card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Being annoyed at someone's thoughtlessness is suddenly trying to spoil Christmas for a few people. Jesus, I'm a monster. How very dare I mention that Christian blessings aren't appropriate greetings for non-christians.

Would anyone like to argue against something I actually said? Or are you, ahem, just dying to be offended?

Lately, this place appears to be full of people who claim to know other people's minds, motives, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The politically correct brigade out again! No need to be getting your knickers in a twist over this.

She's right. You're wrong. Not very many people in Ireland are christian any more, except for in name only. They don't celebrate the birth of Jeebus at christmas, nor for that matter, do they celebrate the proper meaning of christmas, the return of the sun from its winter holiday down under (preferrably with some human sacrifices).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

[-0-] wrote: »
    Lately, this place appears to be full of people who claim to know other people's minds, motives, and so on.

Hey they're aggressively religious. I find that those who listen to the voices in their heads also tend to be the ones who "best know" whats good for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

lazygal wrote: »
    How would one go about ruining Christmas for atheists? A ban on biscuits maybe.....

I don't know lazygal, its a time for everyone. ..
    I'm not atheist or religious...
    But I mingle with Atheists and Religious people, and they're all sound. ..

I think they should keep the biscuits in tinned boxes, they taste better than the bikies in plastic boxes...

Hey they're aggressively religious. I find that those who listen to the voices in their heads also tend to be the ones who "best know" whats good for others.

Yeah Brian, but I only come across those people in Boards.ie

I think there's medication for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I don't get why people have issues with atheists celebrating Christmas.

Christmas was never a religious holiday in my household at least. It was always a family celebration. It's a time to celebrate life, friends and family.

Who says atheists have no right to celebrate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Being annoyed at someone's thoughtlessness is suddenly trying to spoil Christmas for a few people. Jesus, I'm a monster. How very dare I mention that Christian blessings aren't appropriate greetings for non-christians.

Would anyone like to argue against something I actually said? Or are you, ahem, just dying to be offended?

Certainly not me "dying to be offended". I would suggest that your comment there is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black tbh.

My issue is really this thing of people who are atheist being very eager to celebrate Christmas (which I have absolutely no problem with I assure you). Then the same people who now wish to take any Christian traditions / images from the celebration.

You don't believe in God, fair enough. You don't want to celebrate fair enough. However, Christmas is predominantly in this country a Christian celebration for the last hundreds of years but you want people to remove any images associated with Christmas as it is traditionally celebrated in Ireland.

I agree with the point about politicians and them using public money to send out Christmas cards, I just have an issue with people thinking that the traditional cards should no longer be sent just because there is an increased number of non religious in the country. I don't see how any normal thinking atheist or from another religion could be genuinely offended. And, to be honest I think it is a bit hypocritical to join in what is essentially a Christian celebration (in this country anyway) and now start telling those celebrating and wishing each other all the best for a happy and holy season that this is wrong and that they shouldn't be doing it this way.

My twopence worth anyway

Christmas was never a religious holiday in my household at least. It was always a family celebration. It's a time to celebrate life, friends and family.

I think it's some strident Atheists that say that.

I for the life of me don't know any one who thinks Atheists shouldn't celebrate Christmas. ...

And if I Google it, its just me looking for something miserable....

Thankfully I have the mindful ability to realise that misery attracts misery. ..

Certainly not me "dying to be offended". I would suggest that your comment there is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black tbh.

My issue is really this thing of people who are atheist being very eager to celebrate Christmas (which I have absolutely no problem with I assure you). Then the same people who now wish to take any Christian traditions / images from the celebration.

You don't believe in God, fair enough. You don't want to celebrate fair enough. However, Christmas is predominantly in this country a Christian celebration for the last hundreds of years but you want people to remove any images associated with Christmas as it is traditionally celebrated in Ireland.

I agree with the point about politicians and them using public money to send out Christmas cards, I just have an issue with people thinking that the traditional cards should no longer be sent just because there is an increased number of non religious in the country. I don't see how any normal thinking atheist or from another religion could be genuinely offended. And, to be honest I think it is a bit hypocritical to join in what is essentially a Christian celebration (in this country anyway) and now start telling those celebrating and wishing each other all the best for a happy and holy season that this is wrong and that they shouldn't be doing it this way.

My twopence worth anyway

Jimd2 well said.

He's not your typical Atheist, the majority here haven't a chip on their shoulder like Sarky does,about religion and Christmas. ..

SARKY THINKS HE'S WELL BALANCED BUT DOESN'T REALISE IT'S BECAUSE HE'S TWO SHOULDERS ARE CHIPPED. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I know of no one Christian or otherwise that thinks Atheists shouldn't celebrate Christmas.

This thread is about sarky, lazygal etc who are probably Atheists (but that doesn't concern me) saying that it is somehow inappropriate for people to be sending cards with religious symbols. It is they that have the problem and are essentially trying to dictate how Christmas should be celebrated in the current age. People wont always know the religion of the recipient of all cards. it hasn't been an issue in the past. Please don't make an issue of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The more I look at atheists and their stance the more I am reminded of intolerance and the Nazis. The EDL also use many of the same arguments as internet atheists do. Like the Nazis they define themselves not by what they are but by what they (ostensibly) are not.

The accusation of "certain folk" feigning offence about over-sensitive views is laughable coming out of the mealy mouth of any atheist. This thread just proves that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Folks, this thread is fast descending into the realm of abyss. Once it falls there there's no possibility of a return. Any more mentions of people's personalities, medication, nazis, snarkiness, etc will likely be carded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I'm more annoyed at a public representative using their office to send out inane greetings at all. It's a crass piece of brand positioning.

Ewwwww, I don't like this thread. This (above) ^ , is the only thing I like about this thread. I would be happy enough to receive seasonal greetings with a religious slant from any representative of any religion (with the possible exception of the homeopaths), SO LONG AS they paid for the printing and postage themselves. Ends opinion.

Jernal wrote: »
    Folks, this thread is fast descending into the realm of abyss. Once it falls there there's no possibility of a return. Any more mentions of people's personalities, medication, nazis, snarkiness, etc will likely be carded.

Discussions can get heated at times here alright, sure it's only a bit of banter. ..

Did someone flag some of our post's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Obliq wrote: »
    Ewwwww, I don't like this thread. This (above) ^ , is the only thing I like about this thread. I would be happy enough to receive seasonal greetings with a religious slant from any representative of any religion (with the possible exception of the homeopaths), SO LONG AS they paid for the printing and postage themselves. Ends opinion.

Exactly, i mean if someone is sending you good thoughts of any denomination, surely that's a positive. I mean, isnt getting wound up about a nice sentiment because it doesnt originate from your particular view kind of bigoted.

• Advertisement

Exactly, i mean if someone is sending you good thoughts of any denomination, surely that's a positive. I mean, isnt getting wound up about a nice sentiment because it doesnt originate from your particular view kind of bigoted.

You hit the nail on the head there. ...

Nice one. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd rather they send me cards like that so that I know who not to vote for next local elections!

^^^^^

I'd rather you didn't vote at all if such a thing would sway you one way or the other.

Well, seperation of church and state is a BIG deal to me.

We still have local councils that insist on prayers at meetings etc etc.. That's a major issue for me as I thought I was supposed to be living in a liberal republic not a theocracy.

So if you send me an ultra religious item of mail your likelihood of a vote will go down.

I would also prefer if you'd refrain from telling me if I should or shouldn't vote just because you don't agree with my views!

It is not that I don't agree with your views, SpaceTime, it is that if you are going to base the exercise your franchise upon such trivial matters as whether a candidate sent a christmas card to his constituents then maybe you should re-educate yourself in civic matters.

catallus wrote: »
    It is not that I don't agree with your views, SpaceTime, it is that if you are going to base the exercise your franchise upon such trivial matters as whether a candidate sent a christmas card to his constituents then maybe you should re-educate yourself in civic matters.

You're making MASSIVE assumptions about my level of awareness about civic matters!!!

I'm neither assuming nor presuming anything. I'm going by your post made at 22:24 (Post No.53)

You said you would not vote for a person who sent a card to his constituents.

catallus wrote: »
    I'm neither assuming nor presuming anything. I'm going by your post made at 22:24 (Post No.53)

You said you would not vote for a person who sent a card to his constituents.

Yes I did. I'm not very engaged by candidates who send me correspondence that looks like a mass card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Hi Crooked. This was you apparently agreeing with me, but actually saying something quite, quite different. I disagree with your assessment that someone who gets wound up about a religious christmas card from a politician is being bigoted. I would prefer the words "extremely grumpy", and my opinion is that everyone is well within their rights to get grumpy about meaningless christmas cards from feckless and wasteful politicians with, TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY, a bleedin' religious message in them that gets your back up even further. And now I'm feeling properly grumpy about christmas altogether. Gah! :mad:

Geomy wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head there. ...

Nice one. ..

Why? Do you two really think that christmas card was anything less than a cynical mail-shot opportunity?

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Yes I did. I'm not very engaged by candidates who send me correspondence that looks like a mass card!

You are "very grumpy". I'll pray that you find the consoling light and warmth of the Christmas message in your heart some day. :pac:

Advertisement