Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas messages from politicians

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

catallus wrote: »
    Pre-sorted unaddressed bulk mail is dirt-cheap.
    And how do you know this politician is using this kind of post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Like I said, this is really really Off Topic. And it is sad that the topic isn't being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

What is the point of that sentence?
    It is a bit condescending for you to try and define an issue if you also don't think it exists. What exactly is the point, beyond enjoying the sound of your own keystrokes? You have a different definition of the issue that we seem to, as well as believing that the issue doesn't exist. Do you really think that you can convince anyone to accept both your definition and its non existence? It would be equivalent to me arguing against the existence of your god, and also feeling entitled to defining it in such a way that it couldn't possible exist.
    Should politicians be proscribed from all postal communication with their constituents unless they can pay for it themselves? (This has been suggested earlier by a particularly vehement poster)
    Politicians have an allotment of free post they can use to communicate with their constituents, however they are restricted in using that in the discharge of their duties. Being allowed to use it beyond that would give an unfair advantage to incumbents over their opposition when it comes to elections. Even still I'd imagine that because the letter was on a cork council letterhead, it was paid for by his office instead of his allotment (which is probably more discretionary than it should be). Which means that he is misusing his office for self promotion as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    How do you edit a post without the edit showing up?
    If you edit a post within a certain amount of time then the edit doesn't show up.

Sarky of course doesn't edit in this fashion, instead he abseils down into the boards datacenter in order to edit the database directly and change this posts. It apparently has been explained to him that in a lot of cases this is unnecessary, however he still persists.

So is it all coming down to the cost of stamps here?

• Advertisement

So is it all coming down to the cost of stamps here?
    Not really. Your posts are generally aimless and contain little, if anything, of substance to rebut, or even understand.

So you can perhaps understand why people might be interested in following up on a comment that has a fixed, comprehensible meaning, even if it's a trivial one. All the more so since you continue to avoid answering it in any real sense.

robindch wrote: »
    Not really. Your posts are generally aimless and contain little, if anything, of substance to rebut, or even understand.

So you can perhaps understand why people might be interested in following up on a comment that has a fixed, comprehensible meaning, even if it's a trivial one. All the more so since you continue to avoid answering it in any real sense.

If by "aimless" you mean "doesn't conform to the forum orientated objective of mainly taking the piss out of our mam and dads religious beliefs, cos how cool are we" then maybe I'm guilty.

On the other hand there is a cogent argument to be made that just maybe the formulation, degree by slow degree over the last 10000 years of social and political development, (of a philosophical and metaphysical theory of existence and the idea that there may or may not be something beyond our knowledge of the universe), has led us to our current culture, and that those who would say that we should throw out that baby with the bath-water are to be shunned as surely as we shun neo-nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I actually preferred Harry Angstrom's line of discourse. If folks could focus on it would be nice.

If by "aimless" you mean "doesn't conform to the forum orientated objective of mainly taking the piss out of our mam and dads religious beliefs, cos how cool are we" then maybe I'm guilty.
    If that's what you think this forum is for and if that's what you think this forum does, and why it does it, then you are missing just about everything it has to offer.

Why not start off with the assumption that people here have something interesting to say and work with that, instead of delivering broad-brushed, cock-eyed insults?

robindch wrote: »
    If that's what you think this forum is for and if that's what you think this forum does, and why it does it, then you are missing just about everything it has to offer.

Why not start off with the assumption that people here have something interesting to say and work with that, instead of delivering broad-brushed, cock-eyed insults?

Well, Robindch, that's my observation and experience of being a long time lurker and some-time poster on this forum. One might say that I am biased by my observation and experience of the reality of the content of the thread.

If my posts can be categorised as being cock-eyed then maybe the flaw isn't in my eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well, Robindch, that's my observation and experience of being a long time lurker and some-time poster on this forum. One might say that I am biased by my observation and experience of the reality of the content of the thread.

If my posts can be categorised as being cock-eyed then maybe the flaw isn't in my eye.

You mean the fault isn't in your eye, it's...er...elsewhere?

(sorry, couldn't resist, so beautifully marked and downwind as well)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

On the other hand there is a cogent argument to be made that just maybe the formulation, degree by slow degree over the last 10000 years of social and political development, (of a philosophical and metaphysical theory of existence and the idea that there may or may not be something beyond our knowledge of the universe), has led us to our current culture, and that those who would say that we should throw out that baby with the bath-water are to be shunned as surely as we shun neo-nazis.

Nazis, you say?

There's nothing cool or zeitgeist in debunking religious myths and superstitions; it's just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

old hippy wrote: »
    Nazis, you say?

There's nothing cool or zeitgeist in debunking religious myths and superstitions; it's just common sense.

It's common sense from your world view yes.

Are saying it should be common sense for all mankind or is that just your opinion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Exclusivity is the hallmark of culture. And religion is the epitome of culture.
    A culture which, statistically speaking, at least 16% of his constituents don't subscribe to. So why waste everyone's money on a specifically Catholic card?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Geomy wrote: »
    It's common sense from your world view yes.

Are saying it should be common sense for all mankind or is that just your opinion ?

An an ideal world it would be great if all mankind were purged of such religious tosh. But as long as the brave defenders of faith are steadfast in their beliefs I realise we shall be at loggerheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

old hippy wrote: »
    An an ideal world it would be great if all mankind were purged of such religious tosh. But as long as the brave defenders of faith are steadfast in their beliefs I realise we shall be at loggerheads.

That's clear enough ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,495 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't it odd the total disdain with which religious believers regard other forms of worship, e.g. "St Patrick saved Ireland from paganism" and led us away from 'primitive' beliefs, human sacrifice and all that that supposedly went with it.*

Well, from my point of view christianity and all the rest are primitive beliefs, and it'll be better when humankind moves on, just as christians thought that moving on from Roman gods or paganism was an improvement from their POV.

* Of course christianity and islam, among others, have plenty of blood on their hands too.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I read this post first time, the faux outrage et al

So we're not allowed to be outraged by the misuse of public funds and the shovelling of your religion down our throats, that it is all faked (maybe atheism is a cry for attention:confused:)?

How christian of you.
    Amazingly enough that last sentence is neither ironic nor sarcastic. Shows how little the "religion of love" tolerates others.

Overwhelmingly Christian Country.

[citation needed]

lazygal wrote: »
    AnPost charges state bodies the same rate for postage from a councillor as a private citizen.

Actually they get a 1c discount on all stamps if they're self franked. But that is technically available to anyone, you just have to buy a franking machine and pre-pay for the stamps.

• Advertisement

Knasher wrote: »
    As you have made it perfectly clear that you consider this to be a non-issue, perhaps you aren't the most qualified person to decide what the issue is.

Ah, but to catallus [sic] the, non-existent, destruction of catholic Ireland by us satanist atheists is a far more pressing issue than the misuse of public funds and waste of tax payers money!

Advertisement