Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WC 2014 Brasil; Starts June 12th 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

bradlente wrote: »
    Backed Rossi to be top scorer when he was in his best form,Will that be void if he doesn't make it?

It surely must be void if he doesn't play a minute and I haven't seen any special rules regarding these bets that are placed before the squads are announced so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

bradlente wrote: »
    Backed Rossi to be top scorer when he was in his best form,Will that be void if he doesn't make it?

I queried this with several bookies before the last WC and some will refund and some won't. I can't find the emails now but from memory most will refund but 1-2 won't (prob the big guns like Ladbrokes, Hills, & Corals)

I'll lash an email off to a few this afternoon and see what they say cos I would be interested in this myself

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just went unusually big at Stage of Elimination > Holland > Group stage @2.37

Strootman is out of the WC, did his knee last night

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

inforfun wrote: »
    Just went unusually big at Stage of Elimination > Holland > Group stage @2.37

Strootman is out of the WC, did his knee last night

I really fancy Chile to get out of that Group.

I watched the full 90 minutes against Germany last week.

They were bloody decent at times.

Lot of people mention Columbia but I think Chile are every bit as good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Agree here totally. Seen enough of Chile to know they're very solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Diego Costa looks big odds at 28/1 currently as top goalscorer.

Have backed a Spain win / Costa top scorer at odds between 120/1 and 50/1 in the past couple of months.

OK got a few replies back re the Top Goalscorer non-runner issue. There are 2 separate issues here:

1. Player doesn't make the squad
    2. Player makes the squad but doesn't play at all

Player doesn't make the squad

Bet365 - void
    Betfair - loser
    Betfred - void
    Boyles - void
    Paddy Power - void
    Sky Bet - loser
    Stan James - void
    Will Hill - void

Player makes the squad but doesn't play

Bet365 - void
    Betfair - loser
    Betfred - void
    Boyles - loser
    Paddy Power - loser
    Sky Bet - loser
    Stan James - loser
    Will Hill - loser

Haven't heard back from the following, although it is arguably the busiest week of the year so I'll let them off for this week anyway before I chase it up

Betpack
    Coral
    Ladbrokes
    SportingBet
    Totesport
    Victor Chandler

Last time i checked, Chile to qualify fro mthe group was evens.

Holland to go home after 1st round is @2.37

It makes more sense/profit to pick either Holland or Spain not to qualify if you think Chile will qualify.

Holland will only have Robben and Van Persie left in about the same level of class they had 4 years ago now Strootman is out.

Players that were there in South Africa and who are still in the squad have been rather hopeless (Sneijder)

Players that are not in the squad anymore because they quit playing or are not good enough anymore have not been replaced adequately or those players are still too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Imagine if we had a total upset? Here we go!

Group 1: Croatia win, Mexico come second.

Group 2: Australia win, Chile come second.

Australia beat Mexico.
    Croatia beat Chile.

Group 3: Ivory Coast win. Greece come second.
    Group 4: Costa Rica win. Uruguay second.

Ivory Coast beat Uruguay.
    Costa Rica beat Greece.

Group 5: Honduras win, Ecuador second.
    Group 6: Iran win, Bosnia second.

Hondurus beat Bosnia.
    Iran beat Ecuador.

Group 7: US win, Ghana second.
    Group 8: Algeria win, South Korea second.

US beat South Korea.
    Algeria beat Ghana.

So:

Australia beat Mexico.
    Croatia beat Chile.
    Costa Rica beat Greece.

Honduras beat Bosnia.
    Iran beat Ecuador.
    US beat South Korea.
    Algeria beat Ghana.

-> Australia beat Ivory Coast.
    -> Costa Rica beats Croatia.
    -> Honduras beats US.
    -> Algeria beats Iran.

Australia beats Honduras.
    Algeria beats Costa Rica.

Final: Australia v Algeria.

Winner: Algeria !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

Imagine if we had a total upset? Here we go!

Group 1: Croatia win, Mexico come second.

Group 2: Australia win, Chile come second.

Australia beat Mexico.
    Croatia beat Chile.

Group 3: Ivory Coast win. Greece come second.
    Group 4: Costa Rica win. Uruguay second.

Costa Rica beat Greece.

Group 5: Honduras win, Ecuador second.
    Group 6: Iran win, Bosnia second.

Hondurus beat Bosnia.
    Iran beat Ecuador.

Group 7: US win, Ghana second.
    Group 8: Algeria win, South Korea second.

US beat South Korea.
    Algeria beat Ghana.

So:

Australia beat Mexico.
    Croatia beat Chile.
    Costa Rica beat Greece.

Honduras beat Bosnia.
    Iran beat Ecuador.
    US beat South Korea.
    Algeria beat Ghana.

-> Australia beat Ivory Coast.
    -> Costa Rica beats Croatia.
    -> Honduras beats US.
    -> Algeria beats Iran.

Australia beats Honduras.
    Algeria beats Costa Rica.

Final: Australia v Algeria.

Winner: Algeria !!!!

Australia would take Algeria in the final!! Jerry Bengtson golden boot @ 999/1 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

So many of the short priced runners for Top Goalscorer/ Golden Boot aren't guaranteed starters for their teams, Giroud @ 33/1 for example; while Alexis Sanchez is available at 66/1 or better. Negredo 33/1 v Dzeko 66/1 or better etc. There's a lot of poor value in this market at the minute imo. Messi is drop-proof but Higuain has a better national gs ratio than both he and Aguero; factor in Lavezzi , Di Maria and even Maxi Rodriguez and Palacio and gametime will be limited for some of the shorter priced players. Benzema looking all the more enticing to me at the prices

trick with top goal scorer is... you need to find the Oleg Salenko of the tournement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

inforfun wrote: »
    trick with top goal scorer is... you need to find the Oleg Salenko of the tournement

Exactly,to further your point look for a good goalscorer in a big underdog.
    Haven't looked into it but I'll probably take one of the key players from Russia as they're one side that could fly or flop.Thinking the same could apply for Ivory Coast,Drogba e/w 150/1 is value for me.They could go poorly but at the same time could somehow fashion a way into the quarters if they're lucky.He'll be cherishing what's likely to be his last moment on a big stage.
    Might be crazy to take an English player but Sturridge 80/1 is not bad imo.I already have France backed so wasn't sure whether or not to go with Benzema,40s is fairly tempting though and that price is not hanging around I think.
    For some reason Bruno Alves best price is 66/1,Why would anyone back him!?
    I have Rossi with a few books I think,certain I have him with Skybet though which is a bit ****.Very dick move.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Does anyone know if goals scored in the third placed playoff qualify in the top scorer market? I presume it does

Warper wrote: »
    Does anyone know if goals scored in the third placed playoff qualify in the top scorer market? I presume it does

Yes absolutely it counts

Actually it's one where you could nick a very big price from uninformed layers on BF when a player gets knocked out in the semis. Even BF themselves got caught out here 4 years ago when they suspended the market after the first semi-final and removed all the players from the losing team (including eventual joint top-scorer Diego Forlan) even though they had another match left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Spain to win it and Messi top scorer at 80/1.

Messi has to have as good a chance as any of being top scorer - I like the Argie group too.

I like Spain's possible match up's for last 16 and QF's. After that it's a toss up and 80/1 is good value in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Spain to win it and Messi top scorer at 80/1.

Messi has to have as good a chance as any of being top scorer - I like the Argie group too.

I like Spain's possible match up's for last 16 and QF's. After that it's a toss up and 80/1 is good value in my opinion.

I like those cross bets, get great odds.

Ive backed Aguero/Brazil @ 100-1 and Messi/Brazil @ 33-1

Corals are a joke - went to put £200 on Messi for top scorer @ 9-1 and they just let me put on £167. For what is the biggest soccer market every 4 yrs, that is pretty measly

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Ive had a quick look at the prices for the opening phase of the world cup and france to win group e @ 4/5 looks good value.

Im going to try and pick six selections over the group stages at around evens and stick €50 on it.
    I plan to add to this thread as we get closer to the wc and of course feel free to add any stand out value bets that you see. Good luck all.

mods move to challenges/logs if more appropriate. I wasnt sure were to put it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Six might be a tad optimistic but good luck ! I like Spain to win their group at 8/11.

• Advertisement

Probably a bit optimistic alright. But there are a lot of games and a lot of different bets per game, group outcomes etc. I think il get a good accum together to do me the round robin stages instead of betting every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

kerosene wrote: »
    Ive had a quick look at the prices for the opening phase of the world cup and france to win group e @ 4/5 looks good value.

It's the most I've ever put on a bet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've done a group forecast double. Spain 1st, Netherlands 2nd in group B and France 1st, Switzerland 2nd in group E.

9.5/1

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Oat23 wrote: »
    I've done a group forecast double. Spain 1st, Netherlands 2nd in group B and France 1st, Switzerland 2nd in group E.

9.5/1

Chile are no push over in Spain group I am backing chile to get out of that group with Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Dio On The Doubles

jkelly85 wrote: »
    Chile are no push over in Spain group I am backing chile to get out of that group with Spain

Same as that. I'm adopting Chile as the team I'm getting behind for this world cup (personal interest not outright win the cup betting). Love the way they play and well fancy them to get out of the group, gonna throw a few quid on it too.

Portugal to beat USA, 4/6 on bet 365, a bit
    shy off evens but id expect them to win.

Ivory Coast 6/4 to beat Japan, or 4/5 to qualify from their group with Japan, Colombia and Greece. I know they have an ageing squad but im wondering if this could be a last hurrah from them, its not a particulary strong group. I think Colombia have Falcao injured for some of the games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Waiting on the Henderson to make Englands WC squad @ 7/2 placed few months ago. Seems a certainty. Also have an e/w on Dzeko top scorer @ 100/1:eek: Bosnia group isn't too strenuous so he looks a fairly decent punt even if he is streaky enough striker at times for City.

Will look into few more as the tournament nears

Henderson should be a starter in the team never mind the squad. Never know with Roy though.

austrailia to get zero points, 6/4 with paddy power, tough group with spain holland and chilie.

• Advertisement

so far im thinking of
    France to win group e 4/5
    portugal to beat Usa 4/6
    austrailia to get zero points 6/4
    I havent decided on ivory coast yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement