Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I previously applied but didn’t succeed due to failing a medical, but from the outside looking in the only thing that would get on my wick would be the traffic (I know it’s not only a Dublin bus specific problem).

To each their own and whatever suits family life.

Realistically you’ll never know what it’s like until you give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Mr Regal wrote: »
    You should have stopped at "I don't really qualify for the aul opinion yet..."

Give over, the scaremongering isn't going to help anybody that wants to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Scaremongering.....

It's not all roses...

It suits some and doesn't suit some it's really as simple as that...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mr Regal

It's not Scaremongering. It's an experienced opinion, and you have zero right to comment as you have zero experience as a Dublin Bus driver being only one week in the job. The man has a big decision to make, he asked for an experienced opinion. And that's just a fact, not being smart as you are, saying people are scaremongering. Why would people try scare others away, the more drivers that join the quicker we all move up the ladder. I even feel a bit inadequate giving my opinion and I'm three and half years here, there's more experienced men here.
    Good job with good points, but also bad points depending on your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Mr Regal wrote: »
    You're basically guaranteed ONE good early week in five weeks. You finish before three usually, sometimes a lot earlier.
    The other four weeks are up in the air. It doesn't do what it says on the tin, unless your marked in.

That depends on the depot you land in. some are getting split shifts on early weeks.

Which garage you end up in is another factor. Some are set up well with decent supervisors and managers, others are a bit shambolic. The fact its not uniform across each depot is disappointed.

On a positive note for new staff, Bus connects will create around 30-40% more routes which will help push spare staff into marking ins sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I Was VB wrote: »
    I previously applied but didn’t succeed due to failing a medical, but from the outside looking in the only thing that would get on my wick would be the traffic (I know it’s not only a Dublin bus specific problem).

To each their own and whatever suits family life.

Realistically you’ll never know what it’s like until you give it a try.

The traffic was never a problem for me, you're being paid to sit in it, it's not like its making you late to be somewhere. Everyone else on the bus has that problem!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LastStop wrote: »

On a positive note for new staff, Bus connects will create around 30-40% more routes which will help push spare staff into marking ins sooner.

That just maintains the problem of a **** shifts / golden shifts split. This is Victorian nonsense

Get rid of marking in entirely and everyone except the few golden boys gets much better shifts.

If this needs the state to fund a wedge of cash for the golden boys, so be it. It'd be for the benefit of the entire transport system that it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

I have a family member who drives and thought it was the be all, and end all to get in there. After a few years there he says different. He's unhappy with the lack of work/life balance. He likes the job but just says he spends most evening's at work, missing out on family time such as kids sports, and social events. He is currently looking for other opportunities. As a transport fan I'd rather travel on them instead of drive them !
    Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Collage green will drive you insane after a few months. Followed by any route that takes you up Georges St. DCC and NTA are complete muppets which will become very apparent soon after you start. Followed by the taxis and Garda . No one cares. Its a complete free for all. The one advantage you have is mass and size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I'm there a week so I don't really qualify for the aul opinion yet... But eyes wide open and make your own decision. Every driver I've met, I've asked their own opinion on the job and 9/10 love it and are there over 20 years. The only drivers I've noticed that hate their job seem to be the ones that post here on boards. If you don't like it, then just move on. It's nothing lost and you've gained class training and a new licence category.

Best of luck in the new job Dutch.
    You’re first year or two will be a honeymoon period and I hope you get Donnybrook as your depot (by far the best depot with the best inspectors and managers and cleanest routes).
    I did 4 years in there and left last July on health grounds.
    It is a tough, stressful job (I didn’t think so when I went in but it is).

My couple of words of advice?
    Just show up and shut up.
    Don’t bitch about getting bad duties or brag to colleagues about getting good ones.
    Happy driving. The VTs are class.

• Advertisement

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Best of luck in the new job Dutch.
    You’re first year or two will be a honeymoon period and I hope you get Donnybrook as your depot (by far the best depot with the best inspectors and managers and cleanest routes).
    I did 4 years in there and left last July on health grounds.
    It is a tough, stressful job (I didn’t think so when I went in but it is).

My couple of words of advice?
    Just show up and shut up.
    Don’t bitch about getting bad duties or brag to colleagues about getting good ones.
    Happy driving. The VTs are class.
    The name you know me by... Who are you :o

I got Harristown, and tbh it's been grand so far. As you say, show up and shut up as I'm here to work and that's that.

The name you know me by... Who are you :o

I got Harristown, and tbh it's been grand so far. As you say, show up and shut up as I'm here to work and that's that.
    😉

Harristown is very cliquey. Sit at the wrong table and they’ll let you know.
    You living that side now?

😉

Harristown is very cliquey. Sit at the wrong table and they’ll let you know.
    You living that side now?

I'm honestly at a loss here...

Yeah, ran into that clique already. Nah, still Southside.

I'm honestly at a loss here...

Yeah, ran into that clique already. Nah, still Southside.
    Strange they put you in Harristown, did you put it as a preference?

Strange they put you in Harristown, did you put it as a preference?

HR in DB are appalling. Endless amount of people being asked to go from Southside to north and visa versa. As a result they are wasting time and money on training people who are walking into depots and handing in transfer requests.

I heard of one driver needing to pass two other depots every day to get to his assigned one. Ridiculous.

HR in DB are appalling. Endless amount of people being asked to go from Southside to north and visa versa. As a result they are wasting time and money on training people who are walking into depots and handing in transfer requests.

I heard of one driver needing to pass two other depots every day to get to his assigned one. Ridiculous.

I think thats all stopped now. You cant transfer till appointed.

I think thats all stopped now. You cant transfer till appointed.

Nope, transfer can go in day one.

Nope, transfer can go in day one.

Notice on the NBRU notice board say different. went up last week. From Head office.

Notice on the NBRU notice board say different. went up last week. From Head office.

Well you pay union subs for a reason, what goes up can come down.

Also I see the 24hr service is starting on 1st December, that's all night shifts for new drivers coming in. 23.00 to 06.00

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

I Live In Gorey and They were sending me to Summerhill:confused: which ment I would have to drive by Donnybrook to get there.
    so on the 1st day in the school I asked could they send me to DB instead and Frank said he would try,
    next day he popped his head in the door and said I was going to donnybrook instead;).
    Fair play to him

• Advertisement

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    I Live In Gorey and They were sending me to Summerhill:confused: which ment I would have to drive by Donnybrook to get there.
    so on the 1st day in the school I asked could they send me to DB instead and Frank said he would try,
    next day he popped his head in the door and said I was going to donnybrook instead;).
    Fair play to him

you can swap with your class mates. Ask them if they would prefer Donnybrook. Summer hill is apparently better for the spare man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

you can swap with your class mates. Ask them if they would prefer Donnybrook. Summer hill is apparently better for the spare man though.
    that was over 4 years ago,Donnybrook is a good garage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

I don't want to make myself too identifiable but I was assigned a depot that was the equivalent of someone living in Bray being given Harristown. I thought they were joking. When I asked about changing I was met with a sea of shrugging shoulders.
    I do like working for the company but that gave my morale a massive hit on day 1. Lazy, expensive, and idiotic way to treat new entrants. €200 extra per month in petrol, 6 hours extra away from my family per week commuting, and best of all, passing every single depot along the way. Your address is on the bloody application form for goodness sake. Absolute waste of time for all involved, drivers, mentors, managers...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kiltipper

Hi guys,
    Just applied for Dublin bus (B licence,D learner permit & CPC). And wondaring if they are still recruiting someone who is in my situation (B license)? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steevem23

kiltipper wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just applied for Dublin bus (B licence,D learner permit & CPC). And wondaring if they are still recruiting someone who is in my situation (B license)? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you all.
    Hi, I attended aptitude test early Dec, application done in sept. Have full D licence also, it's somewhat slow I think . Good luck though

Thanks Steevem23, I hope it works out for you. Merry Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hi guys,

Current recruitment phase running until 31st January 2020.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Reading all the comments re application process, it looks like it is a few months' process to actually secure a bus driving job with Dublin bus(if I am lucky enough to be offered one in the first place). In the meantime I have signed up for an FET (Further Education & Training) training course that provides training for bus driving. Wonder has anyone here gone down this route? I would be grateful if some one here could shed some light on this please.

Reading all the comments re application process, it looks like it is a few months' process to actually secure a bus driving job with Dublin bus(if I am lucky enough to be offered one in the first place). In the meantime I have signed up for an FET (Further Education & Training) training course that provides training for bus driving. Wonder has anyone here gone down this route? I would be grateful if some one here could shed some light on this please.

You will be provided with all the training you require at the training school, but I would think that it would look very good in your interview if you provided proof of the extra training you sought out and completed on your own initiative.

Would certainly be a feather in your cap. Just make sure you are not shot down by the simple stuff like the medical or driving assessment after putting in the effort private training.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 miiisha

Hi guys,

I am the same case like you, I applied in october, I did writing assessment in November, two weeks after that i was invited for a driving assessment and interview, next day after the interview I got an email where they told me to attend medical check, which I attended 5th December. I passed the medical. but I haven't heard from them since. so now I am impatiently waiting as all process was pretty quick but now they seem to be stuck 🙉

Advertisement