Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

really really want Aldo to win convincingly in Brazil and then again if he has to... before Conor gets a crack at him because it's all about Aldo... nobody gives a **** about Mendes or Cub or anyone else in the division this is only about Conor meeting and beating Aldo to me. Aldo is the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    Not to take this off topic but I dont think its a huge chin issue with overeem,as you seen with roy nelson if any heavy weight lands a bomb on you its good night irene.

Overreems a blown up LHW, he never had the chin to take shots from decent HW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I cant see it happening unless he climbs the rankings but id still like to see Cole Miller get a trashing. It would be a very risky fight for Conor to take at the moment as he has it all to lose. But he should hold out for a top 5/title match

It would be great to see McGregor v Aldo in Brazil, could you imagine the sight of seen his hand raised on Aldo's home soil!

Im sure a lot of Paddy's would be willing to make the trip as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

peteeeed wrote: »

Ah was hoping he would get Conor on. Ariel said last week Conor is too Hollywood now to do the show and John said he will drag him on. Will be great to see Ais on it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah was hoping he would get Conor on. Ariel said last week Conor is too Hollywood now to do the show and John said he will drag him on. Will be great to see Ais on it as well.

What time this on 6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Yeah starts at 6pm our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

John will be on around 9pm our time.

1:00 p.m. ET -- UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman will talk about his injured hand and working as a FOX Sports analyst at UFC 178.

1:25 p.m. -- TUF 20 competitor Aisling Daly will talk about cornering Paddy Holohan at UFC Fight Night Halifax, her experience on the show and the rise of SBG.

1:45 p.m. -- Sean McCorkle will make an announcement regarding his MMA career.

2:05 p.m. -- Wrestling coach Kenny Monday will talk about moving from the Blackzilians to Team Takedown, as well as Friday's Battlegrounds MMA pay-per-view.

2:25 p.m. -- Tim Kennedy will look back at his controversial loss to Yoel Romero at UFC 178.

2:45 p.m. -- Renzo Gracie will join us in studio to discuss his upcoming Metamoris match against Kazushi Sakuraba.

3:45 p.m. -- We'll go Inside the Vault and look back at one of our classic interviews.

4:05 p.m. -- Conor McGregor's coach John Kavanagh will reflect on McGregor's UFC 178 win and ahead to another big weekend.

4:20 p.m. -- We'll answer your #themmahour questions on anything and everything going on in the MMA world. Hit us up on Twitter using that hash tag, leave a question in the comments section below.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

I reckon McGregor will make a short appearance on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

John said he'd drag McGregor out of bed for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

yeah and its down to your style as well.... Conor is a finisher he has no intention on being in there for long and his stand up style is not a war-ing style like Diego etc or a walk forward MT style like Cowboy where you get hit a lot, he fences and angles like a mongoose v a cobra always looking for that one single strike which leads to the TKO whereas Aldo has been in 25 rounds in his 6 UFC fights over the last 3.5 years. Aldo will never be able to strategise and control Conor for round after round it wont happen Conor will hunt that opening and be too dynamic for Aldo to master him. I genuinely think Conor has his number as much as I have endless respect for what Aldo has done... over so many years from such a young age he is top 5 p4p ever but is Conor not something just different than the lot of them? too fast, too big, too dynamic too sharp. Aldo would be fav now sure but if Conor finishes Cub or Frankie in the first round opinions will change verrrry fast ...

He can KO the lot of them it's not far fetched and he is good enough to face Aldo now, feck the queue.

But Connor has got caught a few times in these short fights, notably his missing tooth the other night.

He still leaves himself open a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

yipeeeee wrote: »
    But Connor has got caught a few times in these short fights, notably his missing tooth the other night.

He still leaves himself open a good bit.

Everyone gets caught. He hasn't been hit hard yet, that's for sure. He did get caught a good left the other night but he was moving away when it came. He had dropped his hands and was taunting Poirier.

The thing with the MMA gloves is that they are so small even balling up "leaves you open a good bit".

Gumbi wrote: »
    Everyone gets caught. He hasn't been hit hard yet, that's for sure. He did get caught a good left the other night but he was moving away when it came. He had dropped his hands and was taunting Poirier.

The thing with the MMA gloves is that they are so small even balling up "leaves you open a good bit".

I'm sure Gunnar has hit him hard in training!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He has been hit hard, not very often but I recall Brandao and Poirier catching him. That straight left by Poirier was hard and it might have shook up someone with a lesser chin.

I reckon Conor has potential to beat anyone in the div standing up. I'm still not sure about his defensive wrestling and ground game though. Not doubting him, just saying that we've seen none of it so far in the UFC other than a solitary takedown attempt by Brandao.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Two future champs, superfight coming 2016!

Screen-Shot-2014-09-28-at-7.52.46-PM-500x499.png

He has been hit hard, not very often but I recall Brandao and Poirier catching him. That straight left by Poirier was hard and it might have shook up someone with a lesser chin.

I reckon Conor has potential to beat anyone in the div standing up. I'm still not sure about his defensive wrestling and ground game though. Not doubting him, just saying that we've seen none of it so far in the UFC other than a solitary takedown attempt by Brandao.

Hopefully he can work hard on this aspect with Gunnar john etc in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Hopefully he can work hard on this aspect with Gunnar john etc in the coming months.

Gunnar has good stand up grappling but I doubt his wrestling can compare to the monsters in the top 5 of the 170 division.

In fact I think that will be his downfall, the guys there are huge and Gunni is a small WW and I think he will be out muscled in the higher echelons of WW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

“Quick funny story from the weekend. On the Sunday before the fight conor had to go to LA on media tour...which gave me and Artem a night off. So what else to do but rob one of his prized suits and head out (he guards them more than smeagol that ring!) Took a picture with this restaurant owner on the night, the idea been to show him after the fight.

Fast forward a week and we’re having food after his win discussing going out to after party. I said maybe I could borrow one of his suits, I showed him this picture saying I reckon this one would look good. Reaction was pretty funny”

— John Kavanagh

?format=750w

Conor's reaction when he finds out:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Some really bad coverage from the second captains podcast there today. Ken early seemed to suggest it was a dive and a terrible fight and wasn't impressed. He doesn't seem to recognise that finishing someone quickly is the impressive part not going toe to toe for a decision. Some pretty disparaging words too about fans of the sport claiming they are always saying you need to educate yourself. He really does.

Disappointing from the lads as i normaly think they are great but it kind of goes along with the irish times coverage in general. Look like everyone there has a memo out to look down on the sport.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Some really bad coverage from the second captains podcast there today. Ken early seemed to suggest it was a dive and a terrible fight and wasn't impressed. He doesn't seem to recognise that finishing someone quickly is the impressive part not going toe to toe for a decision. Some pretty disparaging words too about fans of the sport claiming they are always saying you need to educate yourself. He really does.

Disappointing from the lads as i normaly think they are great but it kind of goes along with the irish times coverage in general. Look like everyone there has a memo out to look down on the sport.

You can be certain that's because of the 'spat' with John and Ewan on Twitter over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

I had an arguement with a neighbour earlier he claimed with the money at stake its likely dustin took a dive to keep the hype train going,these are worse than conspiracy theorists my reply to any of them let someone hit them behind the ear with the power of someone like conor and see if their left standing never mind getting pummeled within an inch of their lifes on the ground from hammer fists

imbeciles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

pedro1234 wrote: »
    You can be certain that's because of the 'spat' with John and Ewan on Twitter over the weekend.

Perhaps but Early made similar remarks after the Brandao fight, got involved in slanging matches on twitter too iirc

Ken is a first class muppet.

I'll never forget this interview with Roy Keane.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Gunnar has good stand up grappling but I doubt his wrestling can compare to the monsters in the top 5 of the 170 division.

In fact I think that will be his downfall, the guys there are huge and Gunni is a small WW and I think he will be out muscled in the higher echelons of WW.
    Perfect for training with conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Roughly when in the podcast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    I had an arguement with a neighbour earlier he claimed with the money at stake its likely dustin took a dive to keep the hype train going,these are worse than conspiracy theorists my reply to any of them let someone hit them behind the ear with the power of someone like conor and see if their left standing never mind getting pummeled within an inch of their lifes on the ground from hammer fists

imbeciles

Dustin didn't take a dive, but I used to work in a bookie's HQ and we constantly had problems with professional sports being rigged. Only the naive could think MMA is immune from this, especially when you consider how little they earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr.Pinchy

For anyone who doesn't already know, the channel 3e are showing the fight from 10 p.m. tonight...Its on for 2 hours so might have the whole event on it

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

It's a cut down version of the event. All the main card fights are featured. Conor's is the only one left fully intact, with pre/post fight stuff chopped from the rest, most likely.

They have the card from Sweden next weekend on the same type of delay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Roughly when in the podcast?

From about 56:00 until about 1:02:00

Just now listened to it. Very poor. If they know so little about the sport, they would do better to not even mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement