Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Tourismo 6

Options
  • 03-12-2013 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting this on Friday? or even remotely interested?

I have the SE on order in Game so looking forward to picking it up. I'm purchasing for the PS3. I got a new console in the spring and its superb. Supposedly this will show the PS3 at its very best and what it really can do in terms of graphics.

Don't fancy shelling out for a new PS4 yet. My wife got me an early version PS3 back in the day and i learned that early models have problems, so I'll wait a year or so before purchasing a new system

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll wait till it goes down in price. GT5 wasn't really all that impressive as most of the car's models were straight out transfers from their PS2 games. Whether or not I'll be bothered with it then, it'll mainly depend on the video's that other people put up of what the game looks like. Reviews / Ads aren't going to show much if any failings with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I might pick it up when it goes down in price, assuming the cars don't sound like blenders like they did in 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will wait for Reviews. GT5 was a lot of shiet and left a bad taste in my mouth with all the "premium" and "standard" cars.

In fairness Demo left me very impressed, but I will wait for proper review.

So I guess no reviews until tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Micro transactions in the game , dearest car in the game , some 1961 jag is going to cost €140 of real money to buy. They said you can earn the old fashioned way by winning races, but if you are going to do abit of online racing I hope you are not put against people with kitted out cars who have spent a fortune to have an advantage. Also my fear is that they will make saving credits for cars and mods too much of a grind that they are pushing people towards buying credits (€4.99 for 500,000 for example) because they are pissed off saving up.

link

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    Micro transactions in the game , dearest car in the game , some 1961 jag is going to cost €140 of real money to buy. They said you can earn the old fashioned way by winning races, but if you are going to do abit of online racing I hope you are not put against people with kitted out cars who have spent a fortune to have an advantage. Also my fear is that they will make saving credits for cars and mods too much of a grind that they are pushing people towards buying credits (€4.99 for 500,000 for example) because they are pissed off saving up.

link

That is a lot of cars! Yes, some of them are renames of region models, but still. Its a lot. I want now a proper review and to know if they got same old bull**** with premium and normal cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Jesus, micro transactions.. such a load of horsesh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Magill wrote: »
    Jesus, micro transactions.. such a load of horsesh1t.

Thats just plain wrong, buying credit packs for your dream car is just plain cheating...put in the time

brinty wrote: »
    Thats just plain wrong, buying credit packs for your dream car is just plain cheating...put in the time

It is, though somewhere I read that the way of getting credits is pretty much same as in previous one. It is still bull**** to have micro transactions, but main thing that we need to worry is if the game is making even bigger time sink to get Credits.

The thing I am most worried now - are there a lot of day one dlc locked cars and tracks like in forza. I did not mind as much micro transacions as how much it pissed me off to hear that many cars and tracks are behind pay wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'll wait to see what the players at large make of the micro-transactions. Gran Turismo was grindy enough before the ability to pay real money to progress faster.

• Advertisement

Its like paying for cheats codes.... no matter what way they put it, its bull**** and shouldn't be in a £50 game. If it was free 2 play, i wouldn't mind but just this entire day 1 dlc/micro-transaction crap is starting to obnoxious. I don't even really like how games like LoL do it either, i play it more than any other game atm but the prices are just so ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Let's just say they don't artificially make earning credits more difficult to further entice people to use the pay options. What is 'bull****' about offering the option to pay real money to buy credits in-game?

IMO, the gamer who doesn't want to partake is not affected as they still get the game they bought, the gamer who possibly has less time or simply wants to avoid the grind can do so and Sony/Polyphony get more money.

Obviously the first caveat above is the big one but if they keep the credit system fair, what's the issue in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If you can get all the cars by unlocking them also then I have no problem with the transactions being in the game, actually I wish all games used the same system.

Otacon wrote: »
    Let's just say they don't artificially make earning credits more difficult to further entice people to use the pay options. What is 'bull****' about offering the option to pay real money to buy credits in-game?

IMO, the gamer who doesn't want to partake is not affected as they still get the game they bought, the gamer who possibly has less time or simply wants to avoid the grind can do so and Sony/Polyphony get more money.

Obviously the first caveat above is the big one but if they keep the credit system fair, what's the issue in this case?

The problem is we aren't living in a fair world, maybe earning credits is fair this time.. but this type of system will eventually lead to studios developing with these kind of MT's in mind and making the game more and more "grindy". Now i know GT games have always been kind of a grind anyway but doing it now just sets a trend... one that im sure most people don't want.

If it costs £140 to get one of the best cars... you can be damn sure those kind of credits aren't obtainable within a reasonable time-frame. No matter what way you look at it, its bad. Either it'll take an insane amount of time just to get that one car thus maybe justifying how much it costs with real money... or it'll be a more reasonable grind and therefore never justifying the cost.

Honestly... i don't even like racing games... so as long as it doesn't spread to genres i actually care about then w/e.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Getting mixed reviews, but fairly decent overall. On the plus side, huge amount of cars, which seem to be all available to buy/look at, rather than pot look the car you want coming up in GT5. Great tracks, and great controls and driving experience. On the minus side, still no damage, the sounds of the cars, rolling starts in single player and still some suspect AI opponents.

I'm undecided wether I will buy this, not working till tonight , so depending on the price I might just take a chance on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the EG review is a farce.

Reads like a very average game...boom 9/10.

gtfo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

2smiggy wrote: »
    Getting mixed reviews, but fairly decent overall. On the plus side, huge amount of cars, which seem to be all available to buy/look at, rather than pot look the car you want coming up in GT5. Great tracks, and great controls and driving experience. On the minus side, still no damage, the sounds of the cars, rolling starts in single player and still some suspect AI opponents.

I'm undecided wether I will buy this, not working till tonight , so depending on the price I might just take a chance on it

Have to say i'm in that boat of whether to collect tonight or not..

Reading reviews says there'll be a ton of patches :eek:

But its same old glitches

But if you love the game you'll get it.....eventually

They still kept the fecking premium and standart car thing... feck off... 59.99eu in gamestop.... feck off.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They still kept the fecking premium and standart car thing... feck off... 59.99eu in gamestop.... feck off.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Gran-Turismo-6-PS3/dp/B00CMJ1FIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386335359&sr=8-1&keywords=gran+turismo+6

Polygon scored it the same as Forza?! Rev also gave it a 4/5.

No interest in car games but €45 from Amazon seems alright.

RasTa wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Gran-Turismo-6-PS3/dp/B00CMJ1FIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386335359&sr=8-1&keywords=gran+turismo+6

Polygon scored it the same as Forza?! Rev also gave it a 4/5.

No interest in car games but €45 from Amazon seems alright.

I know about amazon, but amazon at the moment is a cluster ****. I ordered 2 items off them directly on 3th and 4th ( small ones ) and after me contacting them dispatch is set for 12th.....

If I could pick up it for 45eu in brick and mortar, I might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

From Neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729442
    Overall Score: 78.2% (out of seventeen reviews)

Telegraph - 5/5
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-6-review.html
    Ultimately, a game, not matter how good, is still just a game. It simply can't replicate the sensations of driving a real car, and is thus no direct replacement for the thrill of real-life racing. However, for the time being it’s about as close as you can get and for a fraction of the cost of doing just one track day. We love it.

Polygon - 9/10
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/6/517...rismo-6-review
    Most of those details are perfect, though, and they weave together into a wonderful demonstration of what racing games can achieve. Polyphony Digital's love for cars has always been clear, but it's always felt a little cold and mechanical. The benefits of that technical expertise still exist in Gran Turismo 6, but they're put to much more enthusiastic use. The result is a massive, passionate game and a fitting final lap for the PlayStation 3.

PSNation - 9/10
    http://www.psnation.org/2013/12/06/r...turismo-6-ps3/
    Gran Turismo 6 took a very good game and made it great. I know that everyone wished this was on PS4 right away, but I have no problem with it coming to PS3, as they have been able to take advantage of a very mature system with 81+ million PS3 owners that I hope compete with online. There’s no way that I would still be playing the game if I didn’t truly enjoy it, and it’s all I’ve done when I’ve had any free-time. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely a huge upgrade from GT5, and many of the changes have improved the experience greatly.

gamesradar - 4.5/5
    http://www.gamesradar.com/gran-turismo-6-review/
    Gran Turismo 6 rights almost all of the wrongs of its predecessor to deliver one of the most expansive, beautiful and enjoyable racing simulations ever seen. If only the AI and damage modelling were better, this would be the perfect racing game.

US/Gamer - 4.5/5
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/gran...ation-3-review
    Gran Turismo 6 is an over-ambitious, huge, sprawling, messy masterpiece. It has its highs and lows. It has its perfections and its flaws. Sometimes it’s annoying. Sometimes it’s infuriating. But most of the time it’s simply the best driving game you can buy.

Eurogamer - 9/10
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rismo-6-review
    And so, 15 years since its inception, Gran Turismo carries on its pursuit much as it always has, delivering a driving simulator that's as exhausting as it is exhaustive, as infuriating as it is intoxicating. As a foundation, it's certainly more stable than its predecessor - and as a way to explore the thrill of four wheels it is, despite its many faults, exceptional, brilliant and pretty much peerless. It's not finished yet, but Polyphony likely never will be - but in Gran Turismo 6 it's just delivered the broadest, most complete iteration of its epic vision.

IGN - 8.0/10.0
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...rismo-6-review
    Gran Turismo 6’s problems are baggage the series has been carrying since 1997; the second you thunk into a wall at 200 kilometres per hour and drive off scot-free, or hop into a belching V8 that sounds more like a wheezing milkshake maker, the glass shatters and the illusion breaks with it. But when you’re on one of Gran Turismo 6’s absolutely gorgeous tracks, fused with the car you’re controlling, attacking apexes with confidence and devouring sectors with steely precision, it’s not hard to see why this series is deservedly regarded as one of the best of its kind, and this one is no exception.

TheEscapist - 4/5
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...round-the-Moon
    Bottom Line: More of a driving sim and less of a racing game, Gran Turismo 6 is the cream of the crop. It's an easy game to hop into for a single race or plant yourself in front of for hours on end. They've added some interesting features but at its heart it hasn't changed much from the last release.

Hardcore Gamer Magazine - 4/5
    http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/12...rismo-6/64753/
    For fans of racing simulators, Gran Turismo 6 is as good as ever and arguably remains the gold standard of the genre. There’s over a thousand cars, thirty-seven tracks and tons of events. All of that combined with deep tuning results in an experience with huge lasting appeal. Unfortunately, it’s too long in the tooth for its own good. Playing it after experiencing Forza Motorsport 5 makes it feel like, well, going back a console generation. The mechanics and features are as impressive as ever, but now that we’ve seen what cars can look like on the current generation of consoles, it’s hard going back. Still, it’s hard to fault the game for being released too late and it remains another thoughtful, expertly crafted racing experience. It will be an exciting day when we get to experience the series on PS4, but for now, Gran Turismo 6 is a a fine stopgap for fans of realistic racing.

EGM Now - 7.5/10
    http://www.egmnow.com/articles/revie...ran-turismo-6/
    GT6 feels like a rushed effort, and many problems from GT5 remain unresolved. But the classic GT base remains intact, since the actual act of simulation driving remains very tight—and it’s coupled with a tremendous amount of choice when you consider the 1,200 cars that come on the disc.

Now Gamer - 7.0/10
    http://www.nowgamer.com/ps3/ps3-revi..._6_review.html
    Gran Turismo 6 is – much like its franchise brothers – the perfect Sunday game. It feels safe, but it is all the same as enjoyable as ever.

It’s the familiarity that provides the biggest criticism; though Gran Turismo 5 was, in many ways, the same as the games that came before it, enough time had passed that it felt relevant again.

GT6 doesn’t benefit from the same nostalgic effect; it hasn’t been all that long since we first took on the Sunday Cup.

It’s thoroughly enjoyable all the same and the new improvements here really are worthwhile, better even. But nothing about the game feels new, not really.

Venture Beat - 65/100
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/06/gr...ismo-6-review/
    Gran Turismo 6 is not a game for the uninitiated. It’s made for racing fans by racing fans. It’s for people who know that front/rear weight distribution isn’t a euphemism for holiday weight gain and that the Gap doesn’t refer to a mall clothing store. As a nonracing fan, there’s a lot about it I still don’t understand. What are performance points and why are they important? I have no idea what torque is. I have no idea what an exhaust manifold is or why it improves my car’s racing ability. Admittedly, some of this information is available in the game, but it’s densely packed into the user-interface and might prove intimidating to newcomers. I didn’t care enough to look for it. More importantly, Polyphonic did nothing to make me care. Outside of a few beginner driving lessons, it feels as if you’re supposed to know all of this stuff already, and that could alienate some of the new blood this aging franchise needs to stay relevant in the next console generation.

VideoGamer - 6/10
    http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/gr..._6_review.html
    Gran Turismo 6 ends up feeling stubborn to adapt to modernity. Its myriad landscapes are barren and unexciting, while the music sounds like it’s been ripped straight from a Ron Jeremy compilation VHS. There’s an age old argument that simulation racing games are ‘just cars going around in circles’ – Gran Turismo 6 has no ret

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I know about amazon, but amazon at the moment is a cluster ****. I ordered 2 items off them directly on 3th and 4th ( small ones ) and after me contacting them dispatch is set for 12th.....

If I could pick up it for 45eu in brick and mortar, I might.

I have mine orderded for months from Amazon but as I am typing this on launch day it has not been dispatched.

Order cancelled and off to Argos tonight.

On a plus, Amazon already emailed me the pre order bonus codes for two car packs and 1 million credits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Been playing GT from the start and have every iteration of the series but I would be rushing out to get the latest one, gt 5 was a joke, a totally soulless slog with stone age online play, messy menus and game progression.
    The best part of gt was in starting off with a basic car and upgrading it it wining races and getting faster cars, just getting them takes away fun that is left in gt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Those menus were unbelievable, but it was the updates, ahead of the stand by automatic downloads of updates, that were a drag, and PSN at the time was so slow.
    The trailer portrayed GT5 as the most exciting festival of speed ever, but on playing it just wasn't fun, oh wait, the gokarts were a hoot!
    But I too have all the GT games in my collection and, to be honest, I knocked more craic out of the Concept title on the PS2, the only game in the franchise that was fun through and through, at least for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

From this guys comparison it appears that GT6 is better than Forza 5
    http://www.destructoid.com/gran-turismo-6-vs-forza-motorsport-5-266972.phtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I am personally very interested in GT6 (my last GT game being 2) but if they gimp it like with Forza 5 and place an emphasis on microtransactions I am not interested in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

microtransactions don't gimp it, just like they didn't gimp forza 5. they really, really need to sort out the AI and lack of any significant damage engine though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Again, you can't go wrong with either. I'm really glad I have both. I think of Forza 5 when I want to race, while I think of GT6 when I want to drive.
    I know when I play a racing game I want to race! Ill go out to my car if I want to drive!
    Give me Forza 5 anyday. Plus the online is ten times better then GT. And when you finish the single player after a few days thats where everyone goes anyway.

• Advertisement

Hawkeye1 wrote: »
    I know when I play a racing game I want to race! Ill go out to my car if I want to drive!
    Give me Forza 5 anyday. Plus the online is ten times better then GT. And when you finish the single player after a few days thats where everyone goes anyway.

Forza 4 had great online, but did you actually sow striped down Forza 5 multiplayer? Its not just cars and tracks they stripped down.

Advertisement