Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air China - Beijing to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

relaxed wrote: »
    so any further detail on this actually happening?

Malicious gossip possibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Malicious gossip possibly?

Malicious !!!! Seriously
    malicious
    məˈlɪʃəs/
    adjective
    characterized by malice; intending or intended to do harm.
    "he was found guilty of malicious damage"
    synonyms: spiteful, malevolent, hostile, bitter, venomous, poisonous, evil-intentioned, ill-natured, evil, baleful, vindictive, vengeful, vitriolic, rancorous, malign, malignant, pernicious, mean, nasty, harmful, hurtful, mischievous, destructive, wounding, cruel, unkind, defamatory; More
    antonyms: benevolent

Gossip yes but I doubt it's malicious.

urajoke wrote: »
    Malicious !!!! Seriously

Gossip yes but I doubt it's malicious.

Maybe we need to look at the bigger picture here and the forces at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Foggy43 wrote: »
    BA kept well out over the ocean to avoid possible attack from other African countries. They flew west of St Helena and the Ascension Islands.

Really? My recollection is that only SAA did not have overflying rights and that the European carriers all overflew Africa to JNB. Pre- the advent of the longer-range 747 variants, I imagine services would have involved an en-route stop (e.g. at Nairobi) in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

There is an article in the Dec issue of Airliner World on British Caledonian in which it states " British Airways operated 2 747-2D3Bs in a hybrid livery complete with British Caledonian titles and logo. These aircraft were operated to destinations in Africa from which BA was banned due to it's continuation of flights to aparteid South Africa"

• Advertisement

Maybe we need to look at the bigger picture here and the forces at play.

Go on then and while you're at it explain how and why it's malicious.

roundymac wrote: »
    There is an article in the Dec issue of Airliner World on British Caledonian in which it states " British Airways operated 2 747-2D3Bs in a hybrid livery complete with British Caledonian titles and logo. These aircraft were operated to destinations in Africa from which BA was banned due to it's continuation of flights to apartheid South Africa"

BCAL had operated scheduled services to places like Accra and Freetown (though probably with 707s and DC-10s rather than 747s). I haven't seen any photos of the hybrid livery described and would be interested to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Really? My recollection is that only SAA did not have overflying rights and that the European carriers all overflew Africa to JNB. Pre- the advent of the longer-range 747 variants, I imagine services would have involved an en-route stop (e.g. at Nairobi) in any case.

I never said BA didnt have overflying rights to South Africa. The flight planners felt it would be safer to keep clear of mainland southern Africa, just in case. I suppose if you look at a map it wasn't too much extra in time/cost to keep out over the South Atlantic until the Ascension Islands.

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I suppose if you look at a map it wasn't too much extra in time/cost to keep out over the South Atlantic until the Ascension Islands.

Ascension Island (singular) is in the middle of the South Atlantic and 1,000 nautical miles from the African coast. Routeing via or west of there would certainly keep a flight well clear of harm! The airspace of countries such as Angola may have been avoided during the internal strife there, though Angola Airlines continued to fly, serving Lisbon and a couple of other European destinations with their 707s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I haven't seen any photos of the hybrid livery described and would be interested to do so.
    You can find one on page 48 of the Dec issue of Airliner World. Their first 747 was leased from EI, it's UK reg was G-BDPZ (c/n 19745).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

roundymac wrote: »
    You can find one on page 48 of the Dec issue of Airliner World. Their first 747 was leased from EI, it's UK reg was G-BDPZ (c/n 19745).

This aircraft was affectionately referred to by BA crew as the Paddy Zulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

tippman1 wrote: »

I had the privelage on working on G-BDPU and G-BBPV. 20 years ago plus! I dont think I ever encountered G-BDPZ. I think the only BCAL or then an ex BCAL 747 I encountered was G-HUGE. A B747 Combi. It came to LHR and operated the LHR-DME-NRT route. I think it was DME but definetly a Moscow airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Those EI 747s certainly got around, recall a Sydney LHR flt on QF
    Aircraft was EI-BED b747 used by QF for the AUssie Olympics
    And even did FRA To Jamaica on EI B747 one winter, that aircraft
    Positioned FRA DUb as a revenue flight packed with bicycles
    For pack packers coming to Ireland , some sight 50 bikes on an aircraft

Several photos here of G-BDPZ:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=UK%25&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=g-bdpz&range=&sort_order=year+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

The cheatline was the Aer Lingus one overpainted and it was only at the conclusion of the BA & BCAL leases (which ran from 1976 to 1981) that it acquired the new green top livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

tippman1 wrote: »

Sure that was with affection :pac: that terms was usually used in a derogatory manner by some over there in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

BCAL had operated scheduled services to places like Accra and Freetown (though probably with 707s and DC-10s rather than 747s). I haven't seen any photos of the hybrid livery described and would be interested to do so.
    This months Airliners World has said photo's

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Several photos here of G-BDPZ:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=UK%25&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=g-bdpz&range=&sort_order=year+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

The cheatline was the Aer Lingus one overpainted and it was only at the conclusion of the BA & BCAL leases (which ran from 1976 to 1981) that it acquired the new green top livery.

"British airways" with a small "a"! That looks ridiculous!

And it looks like a compromise because the windows of the upper deck got in the way of a big "A"!

Was this on all their 747-200s at the time? Or the whole fleet??

Mind you, it was equally ridiculous when they changed to just "British" ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Manuel wrote: »
    "British airways" with a small "a"! That looks ridiculous!

And it looks like a compromise because the windows of the upper deck got in the way of a big "A"!

Was this on all their 747-200s at the time? Or the whole fleet??

Mind you, it was equally ridiculous when they changed to just "British" ....

That was the standard across the fleet. The "a" was always small.

I'm now realising that I'm getting older when someone posts a question such as that!!

Here's a Trident as an example: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hawker_Siddeley_HS-121_Trident_3B,_British_Airways_AN0931905.jpg

lxflyer wrote: »
    That was the standard across the fleet. The "a" was always small.

I'm now realising that I'm getting older when someone posts a question such as that!!

Here's a Trident as an example: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hawker_Siddeley_HS-121_Trident_3B,_British_Airways_AN0931905.jpg

I'm just curious, what's the longest commercial flight operating today?
    Is there a London - Sydney direct flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No direct London/Sydney - that's just a little too far!

Wikipedia lists it in distance as Sydney/Dallas - 13,804km (15 hrs 25 min) with a 747-400ER (QANTAS).

The longest flight from Europe is one I've done myself - Paris to Santiago by Air France, at 11,652km (14 hours 10 min).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Anyone have an idea what they will use for this flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Anyone have an idea what they will use for this flight?

This is only speculation. I saw a tweet from Shannon Air Spotters page saying Air China to start flying to Dublin. There has been no confirmed news about this

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    This is only speculation. I saw a tweet from Shannon Air Spotters page saying Air China to start flying to Dublin. There has been no confirmed news about this

If this is true, Air China does have 787's on order (a quick google search shows 15 on order). So this would be the type of route that would be perfect for that aircraft.

Japan Airlines flies from San Diego to Tokyo non stop (5557 NM direct, so it would actually be much more in reality) with a 787 and that would be into a head wind and a similar runway to Dublin (~9400 ft long). Plus you would have a much warmer climate to deal with as well.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

Most likely got their info from this topic. So I wouldn't take anything other than an official source as confirmation at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

lxflyer wrote: »
    No direct London/Sydney - that's just a little too far!

It has been done :)

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Qantas%201st%20England-Aust%20non-stop%201989.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Not as a scheduled commercial flight it hasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Not as a scheduled commercial flight it hasn't

Yeah i know,was just saying that there has been a direct flight done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

urajoke wrote: »
    Most likely got their info from this topic. So I wouldn't take anything other than an official source as confirmation at this point.

Nope, I made this thread after I saw it on Twitter so I asked here to see if anyone had any news of this happening but atm nothing's set in concrete yet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stop_flight#Currently_scheduled_.28top_30.2C_by_distance.29

Current longest scheduled flight is QF7 Sydney-Dallas which is 15 hrs 25 mins, 13804 kms using a B744ER.

Singapore Airlines did have a Newark-Singapore all Business class flight using an A345. This was almost 19 hrs but was discontinued 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Interesting that the longest 757-300 flight will be the Aer Lingus Dublin-Toronto according to that wikipedia page.

Advertisement