Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air China - Beijing to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

whitebriar wrote: »
    Why would you go via Hkg,when there are direct flights via Lhr to Beijing,so only one connection?

I think because he is going to Taiwan.

But still you would thing there is a one connection option to Taiwan from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

relaxed wrote: »

But still you would thing there is a one connection option to Taiwan from Dublin.

There is, with klm via Amsterdam.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ozzy jr wrote: »
    There is, with klm via Amsterdam.

KLM have no direct flight to Taiwan from AMS. They stop in Hong Kong and then onto Taiwan. There is a direct flight to Taiwan from Frankfurt with China Airlines. I did fly it once and it is handy but the last few times i was going it was either fully booked or too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Mick,one tip if you see dear flights,try pricing them up on sites in a package that includes accomadation.
    Pick the cheapest dive of a hotel(if you already have a place to stay),it often works out cheaper than the flights on their own.
    Most airline sites will let you do this too.
    You don't have to stay at the hotel,just rock up there on day one give them the voucher and say you're staying with friends instead.

Net cost inc hotel is often less than the flight on it's own.
    Strange.But the reason is competition.

KLM have no direct flight to Taiwan from AMS. They stop in Hong Kong and then onto Taiwan. There is a direct flight to Taiwan from Frankfurt with China Airlines. I did fly it once and it is handy but the last few times i was going it was either fully booked or too expensive.

KLM807 goes direct from AMS to TPE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

hfallada wrote: »
    Well there is a huge amount of Chinese in Ireland so it would make economic sense. Also Emirates to China from Dublin is a joke. I ended up with a 20 hour layover on my return flight.

Yeah there only being one flight from Dublin to Dubai makes some connections really awkward depending on which direction you're going. For Auckland it's like 8-9 hour layover going over but perfect coming back to Dublin. Wish they'd have an evening flight with an A330 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

On the subject of new routes east, it's being reported (en Francais) that Ryanair are eyeing up DUB - Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/2013/11/25/97002-20131125FILWWW00343-ryanair-volera-vers-la-russie-en-mars-2014.php

Cites a leaked message sent by the Minister for Foreign Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Must say I'm somewhat surprised a regular Dublin-Moscow hasn't happened with either EI or SU. The Ryanair rumours with Russia has been around for years and hasn't happened so I'll believe it when its announced but Moscow is a major European city not directly served from Dublin on a regular basis (I realise there is that season S7 service).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

relaxed wrote: »

Emirates DUB-DXB-TPE.
    4 hours transit outbound and 2 hour transit on the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,119 ✭✭✭✭L1011

donvito99 wrote: »
    Cites a leaked message sent by the Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Which is actually hosted on the Russian Aviation Authority (I know that's not their name but I can't spell it...) website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ozzy jr wrote: »
    KLM807 goes direct from AMS to TPE.

Wow your right. Definitely one for me to look out for the next time i'm travelling to Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Mister R wrote: »
    Must say I'm somewhat surprised a regular Dublin-Moscow hasn't happened with either EI or SU. The Ryanair rumours with Russia has been around for years and hasn't happened so I'll believe it when its announced but Moscow is a major European city not directly served from Dublin on a regular basis (I realise there is that season S7 service).

SU would be preferable to EI and FR as it will open a lot of routes to central Asia and far east! Considering Moscow's position (not far from great circle route for far east) it's surprising it hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Agreed SU are very nice to fly with internationally, service in Y reminds me of the good old days of EI.

Sheremetyevo Moscow is efficient for emigration control and SU are part of Sky team.

EI does not have interlining with SU (or S7) so even if they went to Moscow through ticketing would not be possible, not such an issue for FR as its point to point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anyone ever flown Air China long haul before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I flew with them from AMS to BKK back in 2001. A B744 all economy flight. Pretty packed but reasonably comfortable.

I recall the flight attendants had very limited English and when the pre-flight safely announcements were being made, a c.crew member said: "please upright your seat to take-off"

Food was reasonable and there was a bin of sandwiches and rolls left at the galleys where you could munch all night if you wanted. Friendly crew and pleasant trip - or as pleasant as any econ. class 12 hr. flight can be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Think you mean China Airlines (different carrier altogether)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

faceman wrote: »
    Ya, 744 LHR -Beijing, fairly clapped out, big screen tv, very poor quality, scratchs all over the picture. Food was "all right", crew were excellent, very friendly and helpful. When I flew Xian-Shanghei a few years later, 738, the crew were excellent, when I requested a window seat at check in they politlely suggested that I might be more comfortable in an ailse seat as seating was tight. The seating was same as FR/EI pitch wise 31/32. I unfortunatly took their advice.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

BuffyBot wrote: »

You're correct. Sorry,my mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

BuffyBot wrote: »

Flew on one of their 340s earlier this year.A nice old bus

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

faceman wrote: »

Have flown long haul from AMS~BKK with them a few times,
    It was discussed here.

The route is now serviced by a A340-400 as the 747-400's were retired.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

China airlines is Taiwanese isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

get a nice on flight spice bag as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Yup.

Air China = Peoples Republic of China (ie Mainland China)

China Airlines = Republic of China (ie. Taiwan)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Tenger wrote: »
    Yup.

Air China = Peoples Republic of China (ie Mainland China)

China Airlines = Republic of China (ie. Taiwan)

China Airlines from Taiwan were banned from flying over the PRC due to the political situation I read one time and instead they were then routed via Bangkok to get to Europe because of the overflight restrictions. I wonder if that is still in effect? AMS-BKK-TPE and LHR-BKK-TPE were the flights when a direct flight would be possible if not for the ban.

I believe South African Airways were similarly banned from overflying Continental Africa during the Apartheid era and had to fly the 747 up over the South and North Atlantic to get to London adding unnecessary distance, fuel burn and flying time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,119 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stinicker wrote: »
    China Airlines from Taiwan were banned from flying over the PRC due to the political situation I read one time and instead they were then routed via Bangkok to get to Europe because of the overflight restrictions. I wonder if that is still in effect?

China Airlines now operate to the PRC itself; I think the restrictions were removed in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Stinicker wrote: »
    I believe South African Airways were similarly banned from overflying Continental Africa during the Apartheid era and had to fly the 747 up over the South and North Atlantic to get to London adding unnecessary distance, fuel burn and flying time also.

BA kept well out over the ocean to avoid possible attack from other African countries. They flew west of St Helena and the Ascension Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

SAA used to fly via the Cape Verde Islands (Ilha do Sal) on flights between South Africa and Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

so any further detail on this actually happening?

Advertisement