Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**The wtf plumbing thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Wearb wrote: »
    Those fittings were widely used for standard gauge hydrodare.

Yep, don’t see anything wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Odelay wrote: »
    Yep, don’t see anything wrong with it.

So on the mains water supply for a house you'd whittle the end of half inch heavy down with a box cutter to so it fitted into a fitting branded Hoselock that was designed for use with a garden hose?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

So on the mains water supply for a house you'd whittle the end of half inch heavy down with a box cutter to so it fitted into a fitting branded Hoselock that was designed for use with a garden hose?

It wasn’t designed for a garden hose. It was designed for hydrodare piping years ago. Whatever the original fitter did to make some pipe fit was wrong

I'll just leave this here, someone did this! :eek:
    557410.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Its absolutely shocking what the ESB gets away with. Putting in that around the pipes.:eek:

• Advertisement

I'll just leave this here, someone did this! :eek:
    557410.jpg

Wtf is that

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wtf is that

Looks like a UK install with the blue water pipe that they use over there.

Looks like a UK install with the blue water pipe that they use over there.

That blue pipe is used here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

At least the copper service was sleeved going through the cavity wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Speaking as a mere mortal, a non plumber, can a water supply ever be run through the meter box?

• Advertisement

Speaking as a mere mortal, a non plumber, can a water supply ever be run through the meter box?

I thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Electric, gas and water should have 'adequate separation' I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think this is a “windup”.
    Cannot see any signs of solder on the joints. Perhaps there are other standard forms of jointing copper pipe?

Cerco wrote: »
    Cannot see any signs of solder on the joints. Perhaps there are other standard forms of jointing copper pipe?

Not a bad thought? The copper pipe into the plastic fitting doesn't look particularly legit? Not saying you couldn't make a joint like that but it doesn't look quite right to me (non plumber).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I thought it was a condensate drain.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I thought it was a condensate drain.

I know there will be some argument over the blue pipe but blue pipe has been used for the mains water supply for houses for the last 30 years if not longer in the UK. Its just not a pipe you'd think of using for any type of drainage.

Of interest are also the cables going out of the box. Looks like one supply in and two similar cables (on the right) going back out - thats not normal is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It looks like a crimp/press fitting. I also think it's legit, the pipe is insulated before it enters the box and basically too much detail for a joke.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It looks like a crimp/press fitting. I also think it's legit, the pipe is insulated before it enters the box and basically too much detail for a joke.
    The push fittings are this type by the looks of it.

6486G_P&$prodImageMedium$

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/tectite-sprint-copper-push-fit-equal-90-elbow-15mm/6486G?gclid=CjwKCAjwlYCHBhAQEiwA4K21mxZnZLRWGEKFMg5m7qCXACTTdMI3bS8TsCeCTz7qhJ7j4vedy2rJJxoC1joQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And https://www.screwfix.ie/p/tectite-sprint-copper-push-fit-equal-135-street-elbow-15mm/819fj

819FJ_P&$prodImageMedium$

Would work for that dog leg from the plastic fitting.

Still has me wondering why and Irish plumber would be using UK metric fittings when everything else here is imperial?

I'm sure the picture is from the UK, more and more metric stuff appearing here every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jerseyman

I've just read this from start to here and found very informative cheers, now paranoid about my own gaff. Main thing I take away is not to get an oil boiler as no guarantee of being serviced or installed correctly...

But the question comes up how do people get away with shoddy work, most Customer's don't know and need to take their word unless the work is glaringly obviously wrong. my own story had a new gas boiler installed and the condensate pipe came out about a meter and half and left pointing into the ground, that didn't look right and from the manual of the gas boiler there are 2 options (drain or soakaway). It was then moved back to the house wall but straight into the ground, still not right. then was moved back into original spot meter and half away from house with lime stone chippings thrown on top.

from googling at the time it seemed common enough for the condensate pipe to point anywhere but where it should go

rest of work seemed correct and yes they were RGI and got cert

I robbed this from another site, wtf were the fitters thinking!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Clearly they weren't. Probably working directly off some idiots design drawing.

It's more likely a case of the wrong handed sink was deliverd, but they fitted it anyway.

I reckon the sparky must have pissed him off!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

When I moved into a new house I put the immersion on bath. A few days later I noticed while flushing the toilet the water smelt warm. It turned out in bath mode the immersion went on full blast forever and the hot water backed up into the cold water tank so the cold tank became hot. So we flushed the toilet with hot water! It wasn't a faulty thermostat on the immersion, instead a bad wiring of the immersion so the thermostat was not used in bath position. Not quite a plumbing fault, but a weird one.

Post edited by zg3409 on

Really!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

So that it can be serviced when no one home 😅

Probably to be built around soon. 🤔

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

While that's similar to an Irish meter installation there are few details that would tend to point toward it being in the UK, or possibly somewhere that uses UK inspired specs? The two breakers on the little sub panel don't make sense here and the ESB would hit the roof if you left their main fuse on a loose board like that.

I'd say if a meter reader saw that you'd end up with the fuse pulled and probably with potential legal action.

Advertisement